New Yasha goby with growth, need help!

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got my fish delivery online today, while acclimating I noticed this on its gill just now?! What can I do with this/for this? Thanks for taking time to check this out!
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Got my fish delivery online today, while acclimating I noticed this on its gill just now?! What can I do with this/for this? Thanks for taking time to check this out!
IMG_5202.jpeg
IMG_5203.jpeg
Pics very fuzzy and almost too close. Need clearer pics but may be trematodes or Piscicolidae worm. Need to confirm though

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics very fuzzy and almost too close. Need clearer pics but may be trematodes or Piscicolidae worm. Need to confirm though
Googled both, not really sure. It looks like a reddish tube with 2 curly cues coming out of it and pretty long.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Googled both, not really sure. It looks like a reddish tube with 2 curly cues coming out of it and pretty long.
Just went on a larger screen and looks so much like a thread worm but they are mainly freshwater

OP
OP
ralquist

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just went on a larger screen and looks so much like a thread worm but they are mainly freshwater
Found this, closest thing I can find. A reply from @Jay Hemdal on the second page here along with yourself.

Attachments

• IMG_5207.png
    IMG_5207.png
    301.4 KB · Views: 11

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Found this, closest thing I can find. A reply from @Jay Hemdal on the second page here along with yourself.
Ah yes, egg mass.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are copepod egg cases. Don't try to remove them, as the female copepod is deep in the fish and pulling her out will damage the fish. Luckily, most copepods don't reproduce in aquariums, although this infection may prove fatal, it won't spread.

Here is an article on higher parasites of fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/arthropod-parasites-of-aquarium-fish-hemdal.792/

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are copepod egg cases. Don't try to remove them, as the female copepod is deep in the fish and pulling her out will damage the fish. Luckily, most copepods don't reproduce in aquariums, although this infection may prove fatal, it won't spread.

Here is an article on higher parasites of fish:

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/arthropod-parasites-of-aquarium-fish-hemdal.792/
Good morning Jay, I always thought that copepods did reproduce in aquariums? Just curious here.

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call your lfs or whoever you bought it from, tell them what is wrong, ask what you can do, maybe try and bring it back for refund? or you can get medicine for it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning Jay, I always thought that copepods did reproduce in aquariums? Just curious here.
These species typically have a planktonic larval stage that really has a difficult time surviving in home aquariums (they tend to get filtered out before they can mature and infect new fish).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can narrow it down to "probably something in the Cardiodectes genus" though @ISpeakForTheSeas may be able to help from here.
I think I'd have to see the pod removed in this case, as I haven't researched these types of pods yet, and at least a few species from the genus have similar-looking eggs; I would guess postmetamorphic adult female Cardiodectes as well at this point, though.

Unfortunate to find on your fish, but those eggs spirals are pretty cool.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back