New YouTube Video BRStv Investigates-Reef-A-Palooza NY 2022 Presentation

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We don't need to know what happened in a particular aqaurim if we understand the concept behind it. I don't need to know will be presented to me next if I understand the concept red. If I fully grasp this concept then I can say with certianty whether something is red or not. I don't care if it is a fire engine or a ball. I am looking at the concept.

The main concept here is the idea of predation and prey or more precisely competition. This is one of the main take aways of this lecture.

I think the main goal was how to deal with what aquarists call the uglies. I think that multiple aproaches based on a core concept were presented and I think that they handily proved the idea (concept) of competition as being the solution to the problem. Any particular implementation is irrelavant. If some implementation was used to sell a product then fine. My only question then is: Does it work? If it does then pay the money and move on. The video goes further and provides an actual concept to work from this is pretty rare from sales videos. Most companies want you to only have one solution ... theirs.
I'm going to disagree - this experiment dealt with a new aquarium - unless they want to explain it - at least up to 30 something weeks. In other words. - as I think @sixty_reefer said - yeah - I you have an algae outbreak buy $400 (for a 10-20 gallon aquarium) - to fix it) - maybe im wrong

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was there and really enjoyed his presentation thought he did a great job. Could be wrong but thought he said the testing was not done yet. One thing not discussed here was his opinion about hydrogen peroxide dip for corals any thoughts on that issue
Yeah - I thought he did a great job as well. No debate there

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you mean Ryan from brs his tag is @Ryanbrs but says not been online since 2020 unless he got another account idk.
If mean another Ryan disregard lol
Its the same Ryan - I do not know his current screen name - or if he has one

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to disagree - this experiment dealt with a new aquarium - unless they want to explain it - at least up to 30 something weeks. In other words. - as I think @sixty_reefer said - yeah - I you have an algae outbreak buy $400 (for a 10-20 gallon aquarium) - to fix it) - maybe im wrong
Can you imagine how many pods you would need for your tank volume?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said pay $50 to get one jar instead of paying $400. The key being adding the pods before the addition of algaes. That way the predator can get a jump on the prey before the prey gets out of hand.

Also TBF Ryan wanted an instant result. As in anything a fast result is going to result in either poorer performance or greater cost.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the solution could be as simple as copepod is just crazy to me.
Come on now how many times has this hobby done this type of thing to you. :)

For me it has been continous over the years.

The CO2 thing caught me completely by surprise and I had to have someone just drive it into my head that this is a real issue and should be dealt with.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pod populations are not static, especially in the face of a near infinite (form their perspective) food source.
They not although I’ve never witnessed a bloom of pods under cyano or dinos for it to be substantial we would need to see a crazy amount of pods whenever one of the two were to be seen in our tanks.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They not although I’ve never witnessed a bloom of pods under cyano or dinos for it to be substantial we would need to see a crazy amount of pods whenever one of the two were to be seen in our tanks.
I am not sure if amphipods consume copepods ... I suspect they do. If that is the case you might not see the copepods at all.

I have seen copepods bloom they are really small so it was a pretty big bloom. I have also seen the circles of algal death which I suspect but can't confirm are pods at work. These circles grow ever bigger until all the algae is consumed producing a sludge like Ryan described.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot off the presses using Salifert NO3 0ppm and PO3 .03ppm. Going to break out the Hanna for the phosphate, I have a low range.
The nutrients are consistent with heterotrophic dinoflagellates I won’t argue that,

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if amphipods consume copepods ... I suspect they do. If that is the case you might not see the copepods at all.

I have seen copepods bloom they are really small so it was a pretty big bloom. I have also seen the circles of algal death which I suspect but can't confirm are pods at work. These circles grow ever bigger until all the algae is consumed producing a sludge like Ryan described.
Amphipods should be considered a pest or a treatment depending the goal, they eat eggs meaning if you want copepod it could be a issue although if you have a nudibranch infestation they could be beneficial as they would eat the nudibranch eggs also.

I normally observe larger blooms in my copepod cultures after carbon dosing, this would incline that they will feed on bacteria also.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you inorganic nitrates were to raise and the dinoflagellates disappear from your system who would you attribute the Victory? Copepods?
Nitrates are not a static thing either. They have been as high as 50ppm in this tank with phosphates near what they are now. The dinos live on. Right now since I pulled a stylo out of my sump with the 8k light they have decided that they want to be a part of the hair algae that is trying to push back tissue from the stylo that lost tissue to the light change. Seems as though the stylo is winning this war.

They rise they fall, and I don't really care. Early in the life of the tank they got way out of control. I was patient and they went away. It took a while and they have never left the system. As I have said sometimes they bloom up and sometimes its as though they are not even there. I would never believe that they would disappear from my system I just don't think that this is possible. Honestly I wouldn't want them to.

For me they are but one part of the myriad of things in my system living out its life.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the same Ryan - I do not know his current screen name - or if he has one
Maybe can tag this guy as last seen last Friday,I know in post 18 mentions the above user name for Ryan but again unsure if has another or not lol

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well here a largish ampripod catching a munnid isopod at 2.25 minute mark and munnids are bigger than copepods

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He said pay $50 to get one jar instead of paying $400. The key being adding the pods before the addition of algaes. That way the predator can get a jump on the prey before the prey gets out of hand.

Also TBF Ryan wanted an instant result. As in anything a fast result is going to result in either poorer performance or greater cost.
It's clear (and I said it in my post) - this experiment was designed to test a new tank - to prevent things - as compared to a quick fix of a problem. Sorry - you didnt understand my point (maybe I wasn't clear). He used 16 jars in a small gallon aquarium to get an instant result - CORRECT. He said (paraphrased) - he didnt want to wait months to see if it would work by using 1 jar. How many jars would it cost to 'fix' a 150 gallon tank with the same infestation that he had - over a long time. How many jars would it take to do it quickly.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many jars would it cost to 'fix' a 150 gallon tank with the same infestation that he had - over a long time. How many jars would it take to do it quickly.
Indeed, he didn't really get into how long it would take at a lower amount to overcome the algae or if that was even possible after a certain point. He simply eluded to that he didn't think that there would be enough time to get a clean result, and so drove the test to the ludicrous.

Certianly a valid topic. How much would it take and could smaller doses overcome the algae issue? Perhaps further experiments in this series will play that out.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back