Newbie 40B Build

FLfishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if I missed a posting on this somewhere. I am brand new to the forum and the hobby. I have spent countless hours watching videos and reading forums for months and am getting ready to build something.

I just ordered a 40B from Petco since they have the 50% off going on now.

With it I ordered a 20 long for a sump since its also half off....please let me know if this is too big for the display.

Is there a pump someone can recommend? I see many recommendations for powerheads, media, lighting, etc. but not much on a pump.

I am going to drill the tank myself and try my hand at a full diy. I am pretty mechanically inclined and think I can handle it.

Consider me still in the womb in the reef tank world. Open to any and all advice and pointers as well as any common mistakes to avoid.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, you cant go wrong with a large sump, just means that you have more room for filtration and you now increased your total water volume which is great. As for a pump, and it seems you want to save money where you can, go with a DC pump. Simplicity makes DC pumps and they're not super expensive. The best thing about a DC pump is you can control the flow. That's my 2 cents on it! Good luck!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it I ordered a 20 long for a sump since its also half off....please let me know if this is too big for the display.
There's no such thing as sump that's too big for a display. I actually dream of having a sump twice the size of my display and dedicating a portion of it as a frag system. And I've drilled at least fifty tanks. The key is creating a "dam" full of water around the cut (clay or one of those plastic glass cutting templates), having a VERY steady hand, placing almost no pressure on the bit, using medium drill speed and cleaning/removing the cut water every 10-20 seconds of cutting. I use a turkey baster for that part so I can avoid physically touching the cut area.

OP
OP
F

FLfishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, you cant go wrong with a large sump, just means that you have more room for filtration and you now increased your total water volume which is great. As for a pump, and it seems you want to save money where you can, go with a DC pump. Simplicity makes DC pumps and they're not super expensive. The best thing about a DC pump is you can control the flow. That's my 2 cents on it! Good luck!

Is there a recommended GPH rating or a chart to go by to size the pump correctly? Or is this mostly done by tuning the pump flow with either a DC or the flow dial on a AC? As well as adjusting the gate valve on the overflow?

OP
OP
F

FLfishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie learning curve....chart I'm looking for is located with the actual pump docs.....seems like a DUH moment

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the biggest pump that fits your budget. I always try to buy bigger and run at lower intensities for any piece of equipment. I feel like it extends the life. Personally like to turn over my tank a minimum of 10x's an hour. Closer to 20. I always had good luck with the jabao/jebao pumps. Budget friendly and never had an issue.

Snowxcross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended GPH rating or a chart to go by to size the pump correctly? Or is this mostly done by tuning the pump flow with either a DC or the flow dial on a AC? As well as adjusting the gate valve on the overflow?
Yep, exactly.. tune it with the DC controller. And yes, you'll adjust the gate valve as well.

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the biggest pump that fits your budget. I always try to buy bigger and run at lower intensities for any piece of equipment. I feel like it extends the life. Personally like to turn over my tank a minimum of 10x's an hour. Closer to 20. I always had good luck with the jabao/jebao pumps. Budget friendly and never had an issue.

I think OP is asking about return pumps, not powerheads. You don't want 20x tank volume going through your sump per hour. 3x - 5x is sufficient, so for their setup 250 gph would be about right. I agree with tuning an adjustable DC pump to fit your needs.

Edit to clarify further, I said 250 gph but it's really not a critical rate. If it ends up being 180 gph or 360 gph it's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think OP is asking about return pumps, not powerheads. You don't want 20x tank volume going through your sump per hour. 3x - 5x is sufficient, so for their setup 250 gph would be about right. I agree with tuning an adjustable DC pump to fit your needs.

Edit to clarify further, I said 250 gph but it's really not a critical rate. If it ends up being 180 gph or 360 gph it's perfectly fine.
I am also talking about return pumps. I believe it to be preference on tank turn over, but mine is 10-20. Either way, buying bigger and running at lower intensity is a better plan. Which is the basis of my reply.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back