Newbie Looking to get started

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!

If you're trying to keep it simple, really don't think you'll need a hob skimmer. No harm in them, but can't see how they're a lot better than a simple hang on back filter. Either will have to be serviced a few times a week and bio wheel is just easier... particularly if you want mostly softies. You may value the ability to run carbon in a hob filter. Them softies do a lot of chemical warfare.

where were you going to put your canister? A sump really is about the same size.

OP
OP
OlPainless

OlPainless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!

If you're trying to keep it simple, really don't think you'll need a hob skimmer. No harm in them, but can't see how they're a lot better than a simple hang on back filter. Either will have to be serviced a few times a week and bio wheel is just easier... particularly if you want mostly softies. You may value the ability to run carbon in a hob filter. Them softies do a lot of chemical warfare.

where were you going to put your canister? A sump really is about the same size.
Where I am planning to put the tank I am hoping I can hide the canister behind it or to the side and hide it with some pictures. I have a storage cabinet below the area but I am not planning to use that space as it is full of kids toys at the moment. Any recommendations on canisters? Ive been looking at the Marineland 220 or Fluval 207 or Penn Plax....I don't know, need some advice here from users.

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where I am planning to put the tank I am hoping I can hide the canister behind it or to the side and hide it with some pictures. I have a storage cabinet below the area but I am not planning to use that space as it is full of kids toys at the moment. Any recommendations on canisters? Ive been looking at the Marineland 220 or Fluval 207 or Penn Plax....I don't know, need some advice here from users.
Sorry, don't have any experience with canisters. Was just thinking that a small sump could go wherever you had planned to stash it.

Kaldos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer is a great idea. Here's what I have on my 75 Gallon.

Reef Octopus Classic 100-HOB Protein Skimmer

It's pretty big, but should be OK on a 36 Gallon.

It's made a big difference, and was pretty easy to setup.

As I mentioned before, I have the Hydor canister, and really like it. Clean it about once a month and haven't had any Nitrate issues.

Just to be clear, I have both the skimmer and the canister (I'd say you need both).

arturoo1977

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your new bow front will be excellent for what you are looking to do.
HOB skimmer its a good way to go, when needed, not right now.
For fish only a HOB filter will be fine. At this point you only need a mechanical filter and run some carbon in it, your rock will do all the hard work!
Congrats on your new tank!!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

odstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would run a sump if possible and take your time patience is very important in reef keeping. I learned that the hard way 10 years ago. I am also getting back into the hobby but this time taking my time.

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your bowfront! I'm in a similar situation. I'm new to SW and getting ready to set up a 29g. I'm stalking any thread that talks about a beginner getting started! Lol. I will be running a Tidal55 HOB on my tank because I don't have the space for a sump, either. I look forward to following along on your journey into saltwater! :)

Ddubbs77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this one lol. I also have a 36 gallon bow front I’m converting to saltwater. I do plan on adding some easy to care for corals down the road. I am currently building a 10 gallon Sump with a refugium. I need you pro’s to tell me if my plans sound ok. I plan to add 45+ lbs of dry rock,(used live rock I purchased) live sand, tidal 75 HOB filter, eclipse M overflow to sump into filter sock, SC aquariums sc 301 in sump skimmer, quiet one 758 return pump, 2 hydor koralia 750 powerheads. I’ll keep my cheap led light until I add corals. Am I missing anything? Do I need the tidal hob filter or is the sock in sump enough? I’m looking to add a 3-4 fish plus a small clean up crew then a few corals. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated! I’m learning so much here it’s great. Thanks guys n gals!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back