Newbie Needing Help

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 40 gallon Oceanic Cube aquarium that I am turning into a reef tank. Unfortunately the stand is not big enough to fit a 10 gallon sump underneath, so my question is, what should I do? I know canister filters aren't really used in the saltwater hobby so what should I do for filtration on the tank? Any and all suggestions would be loved and appreciated!!

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The AquaClears are great filters, if it’s a 40 gallon, I would recommend getting the 75G Filter.

WELCOME TO R2R :D
Thank you! I will look into the aqua clear, do you have any suggestions on what a good skimmer for the 40 would be? Ive read that if you have a good skimmer then a filter really isnt needed.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I will look into the aqua clear, do you have any suggestions on what a good skimmer for the 40 would be? Ive read that if you have a good skimmer then a filter really isnt needed.
Personally, I never ran a skimmer. Some people find it beneficial and some people don’t run them. But, I never ran them and just followed with water changes.

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I never ran a skimmer. Some people find it beneficial and some people don’t run them. But, I never ran them and just followed with water changes.
Ohh, see Im new to saltwater, Ive been doing freshwater for years but never salt. I wana make sure I have all good equipment. Do you think the aqua clear filter is all i need as far as filtration?

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh, see Im new to saltwater, Ive been doing freshwater for years but never salt. I wana make sure I have all good equipment. Do you think the aqua clear filter is all i need as far as filtration?
Yeah if your starting off getting that Aquaclear75 will be great. I had a 20G Long and had a Aquaclear50 and it got the job done. You would just have a bag of carbon & some filter floss and your good to go. This will be enough filtration for tank because then you don’t want to have a filter and a skimmer stripping so much nutrients from the tank which can cause Dinos (they’re the worst)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 40 gallon Oceanic Cube aquarium that I am turning into a reef tank. Unfortunately the stand is not big enough to fit a 10 gallon sump underneath, so my question is, what should I do? I know canister filters aren't really used in the saltwater hobby so what should I do for filtration on the tank? Any and all suggestions would be loved and appreciated!!
Aquamaxx Hong on back sump would be perfect

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if your starting off getting that Aquaclear75 will be great. I had a 20G Long and had a Aquaclear50 and it got the job done. You would just have a bag of carbon & some filter floss and your good to go. This will be enough filtration for tank because then you don’t want to have a filter and a skimmer stripping so much nutrients from the tank which can cause Dinos (they’re the worst)
Okay, I will leave the skimmer out for right now, and just run the aqua clear 75. I bought the Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon to put in it and i have filter floss. I will have a ATO as well, looking at the duetto ato. Just trying to make sure I have everything. Probably overthinking, but just want it to go well.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will leave the skimmer out for right now, and just run the aqua clear 75. I bought the Red Sea Reef Spec Carbon to put in it and i have filter floss. I will have a ATO as well, looking at the duetto ato. Just trying to make sure I have everything. Probably overthinking, but just want it to go well.
I have a Duetto and it works very well. Sounds like you got everything, all you need left is a good heater, lighting, and wave maker.

Gravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think both a Skimmer and Filter are good to have IMO. The filter removes particles in the water and the skimmer removes dissolved organics from the water and helps aerate. You don’t need both but it may save you some water changes. I have heard good things about the Tunze comline 9004 Skimmer and the AquaClear filter is a good choice. Otherwise, there are overflow kits if you want to add a sump. They have the kind where you use a diamond bit to drill a hole but that can be daunting. As well as an over the the rim overflow option but there is a possibility that the syphon breaks and the tank floods.

There are hang on refugiums available but I would started with the filter and skimmer.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is crazy, whole different world. What do you run on your tanks then? Anything?
Instead of a "filter" we bubble crap out with a skimmer. A lot of rock and good flow will help a lot. Some people do run filters, the trick is clean them often because old build up will cause a lot of nitrate which is bad.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Duetto and it works very well. Sounds like you got everything, all you need left is a good heater, lighting, and wave maker.
Ive got the heater and thermostat and wave maker, but I am stuck on what light to get. I was originally going to get a AI Prime HD16 and have that on the tank but I have read that one of those arent big enough for a 40 gallon. Is there any truth to that? I have also looked at the Current Orbit Marine IC Led light but dont know which or what would be best.

Miguel Negron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got the heater and thermostat and wave maker, but I am stuck on what light to get. I was originally going to get a AI Prime HD16 and have that on the tank but I have read that one of those arent big enough for a 40 gallon. Is there any truth to that? I have also looked at the Current Orbit Marine IC Led light but dont know which or what would be best.
AI prime is really good I have one on my 20G Cube. But, the only issue is you may need to get a AI Hydra because it will provide more coverages and less dark spots.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,viperspectra 165 watt over 40 breeder ;) :cool:

OP
OP
J

jacobboo123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI prime is really good I have one on my 20G Cube. But, the only issue is you may need to get a AI Hydra because it will provide more coverages and less dark spots.
Are there any other options other then the AI products? I know they are the "big boys" but are there any other good options for 40 gallon?

Back