Newbie Needs Help IM Nuvo 40

MarkBrochado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers, what a wonderful hobby and wonderful site. I’m glad to be a part of it. I am new to the hobby and just started an Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40 gallon aquarium. I am using the Kessil A360we Tuna Blue for lighting. Unfortunately, I have not purchased the Spectral Controller (yet). Although I am going through my cycle (only running 3 days now) I am looking for advice on how to run my lights manually going forward and in the future when I stock. Is it not suggested to run lights manually? As I mentioned I’m new to the hobby and would appreciate some guidance on proper use of lighting for a start.

Here’s my setup so far...

-Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 40
- Custom stand
- Kessil A360WE Controllable LED Aquarium Light - Tuna Blue mounted on gooseneck
- Innovative Marine NUVOSkim DC Protein Skimmer Midsize (not running yet)
-2 Innovative Marine CustomCaddy with PurityPack Filter Media (not in yet running filter sock for now)
- Hydor Koralia Evolution Wave Pump 850 gph (I may replace with something better (thoughts?) all they had at LFS)
- I upgraded stock pump to a Sicce Syncra 2.0

I’m using RODI w saltmix, live sand, dry rock
-Aquatic Life Twist-In 100 GPD 4 stage RO/DI
-Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Using instant ocean hydrometer for right now
Consistent reading of 1.026

I added Fritz Zyme 9 nitrifying bacteria recommended at LFS ?

I’ve tested water for 3 days with api strips and master test kit. All of my parameters are at zero ammonia nitrites and nitrates. PH I believe is 8.0-8.2 still learning how to use these test kits may upgrade to a Hanna for PH? I plan on letting this run for awhile maybe 1-2 weeks before I turn on protein skimmer and replace filter socks with the upgraded caddy baskets with filter media?

All of this is new to me. I helped my older brother set up a successful saltwater community reef aquarium when I was much younger and now many years later have decided to start my own...I think I'm on the right track so far but maybe not

All criticism, input, advice, etc is welcome

Thank you

5B52DA9B-325C-4583-88F7-5B2A3F80572D.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
tenor.gif
#WelcometoR2R

You can use a simple on-off timer for this light. Once you set your intensity and color you can simply have it turn on and off :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your comment. What should I set my intensity and color at? My initial thought was to manually raise intensity through out day and lower towards night?
Set the light about 7 inches off the water. Start with a low intensity, around 20 to 30%, when you add corals keep it low and slowly raise it up over a couple weeks. Watch your corals closely as you increase your intensity, if they start to look upset dial it back a little and see if they improve. For color set it between 35 to 50% depended on how blue you like it. The best way would be to borrow a par meter and measure your levels :)

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Tank looks nice. I've been into FW/planted tanks for 40 yrs. and became a newbie reef person about 10 months ago. Main thing here is PATIENCE!!! LOL
I have a 66g reef AIO w/rear sump. My QT (quarantine tank - you will definitely need one ) is a IM 20g Fusion. I switched a few months ago from IM's original skimmer _GHOST_ to the new Nuvo Skim Desktop DC and it is working great. 10x better than Ghost skimmer. Also if you really want to control the light ( for cycling manual is ok for now - keep it - dial- about halfway to add a little blue spectrum) but once adding fish & corals you'll want the spectral controller - just set and forget. As for salts I started with Kent Marine, then switched to HW Marine reefer, then Tropic-Marin classic (found out recently salt contains a little silicate and now going thru diatom bloom), finally just ordered IO salt, coming later today. Hopefully I'll like it because it's pretty cheap compared to the others i've used. As for a wave pump, I can think of a better pump than the Hydor Koralia.
Jebao RW Series Wavemaker with Controller - RW-8 ( 180 - 2100gph) $61 on Amazon. DC and programable. I have 2 in my sw mixing container and 2 in my 120g planted tank. Well that's about it ( all I know- Ha Ha) Good luck!

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!!The best thing you have done is join R2R.You obviously have already seen the great advise members have given you.Good luck with the build and when in doubt,consult R2R.WE HAVE THE ANSWERS!!

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back