OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely. Much more than one. That way the water would be flowing down each one at half the speed. Then all the large air bubbles should move up and out the caps, with only fine bubbles coming out the bottom.

I'll try that then. How long you think I should wait for the cement to cure so I can test it?

SGREEFER310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no water in the overflow because your missing the drain pipe in it, that is why it's not filling up. Also you could install a gate valve on the drain side in the sump and control it much better, a pvc ball vavle would work to but much harder to adjust.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @TaylorPilot @Matthew Frost,

Well guys after several trips to home depot, modding the sump I hope now I can get this right.

So I ended up having to dremel the acrylic plate that was holding the bulk heads in the sump. They're were insanely close from each other. After that removed everything, cleaned the sump e redid the hole loop.

Let me know if it was good. Off course is nothing fancy but honestly for my first tank, building everything top to bottom I can't complain.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks ready to rock. Have you fired it up yet?

Just did. Drilled two more holes in each pipe. Literally the SAME thing.

At this point I'm done. Seriously already changed caps, changed pump speed.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like it isn't creating a siphon like it was cause the water level isn't rising and falling in the overflow. It does look to me like it isn't as bad as it was. In the other video, there were giant popping bubbles. Now it is just a large amount of frothy smaller ones. How far down into the top of that cap does the tubing go. I have built drains like that several times, and never had an issue with water trying to come out the top....have you tried it with the caps just removed? If that makes it stop, then I would reinstall with the holes larger. If none of that works, I am afraid you're just gonna have to crank down the flow of the pump until it reaches a level of noise you can live with. The M1 is a pretty big pump for a single 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" line. It would be impossible to not make it make some noise or bubbles. I don't know why the water is traveling a foot up those tubes though when there is a open bottom for it to travel out of. Unless those smaller clear lines are sticking down a decent distance into there. If so, the pressure of the air trying to escape would be pushing the bubbles up those tubes like a straw. Remove those caps completely for a minute and give it a try.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, is there a difference with both of those caps completely closed off, or with the tops completely open. In my experience, have a way for the air to escape out of the top has always cut down on the amount of bubbles entering the sump by a pretty good margin.

SGREEFER310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out as soon as I lift up my drain pipe it starts being loud.

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The PVC in the sump that are returning from the display need to be submerged in the water.

They are. There are 2 6 inch pipes submerged already. Do know what to do anymore. I can't even play with my pump otherwise the sump gets crazy

OP
OP
johnbr

johnbr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like it isn't creating a siphon like it was cause the water level isn't rising and falling in the overflow. It does look to me like it isn't as bad as it was. In the other video, there were giant popping bubbles. Now it is just a large amount of frothy smaller ones. How far down into the top of that cap does the tubing go. I have built drains like that several times, and never had an issue with water trying to come out the top....have you tried it with the caps just removed? If that makes it stop, then I would reinstall with the holes larger. If none of that works, I am afraid you're just gonna have to crank down the flow of the pump until it reaches a level of noise you can live with. The M1 is a pretty big pump for a single 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" line. It would be impossible to not make it make some noise or bubbles. I don't know why the water is traveling a foot up those tubes though when there is a open bottom for it to travel out of. Unless those smaller clear lines are sticking down a decent distance into there. If so, the pressure of the air trying to escape would be pushing the bubbles up those tubes like a straw. Remove those caps completely for a minute and give it a try.
Also, is there a difference with both of those caps completely closed off, or with the tops completely open. In my experience, have a way for the air to escape out of the top has always cut down on the amount of bubbles entering the sump by a pretty good margin.

Should I try the stockman standpipe?

SGREEFER310

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I make them close to the bottom? Even longer?
I see, how about if you cover those two small holes where the water is coming out of in the sump. Mine only has a hole in the overflow box pipe not in the sumps pvc pipes like yours. Also I have a ball valve controlling my flow coming down into my sump.
297ba770e860ba2a95307130935ff7e2.jpg

Steve Jewell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John,

I have an Eshopps R-200 with refugium. Almost like yours. I had problems right from the get go too. Be patient, we will guide you to Perfection!!

Here's what I did. I had dual overflows. It came with durso's on both and it was louder than an SOB!! Sounded like the toilet flushing. The dursos were set at a bad level. Allowed the water to waterfall 5-6 inches so made it sound like water on all the time.
If you are going to run durso, make sure the water falls only an inch or so...keep adjusting until such.
Second, with durso you are going to get air gulp the faster the flow is. You will need to dial that hole in on the top of the pipe until it is large enough that doesn't happen. I think some people run air line down to prevent the on and off siphon.
Third, if your pipe coming into the sump goes down to deep, it will need to overcome higher pressure and so you will get a lot of big bubbling and gulping.

Here is what I did:
Scrap the durso, One pipe full siphon a few inches below your other pipe that is at the top of the water level (emergency drain with small trickle) This is herbie method. Dial your valve so that the level is right at the emergency drain and barely getting water into it. It is very quiet!!
Second: The inlet pipes into your sump is too long. Cut those sumbitches off. Figure out what your water level is and have them one inch lower.

I will be filling my tank back up with water this weekend and I can post a video of it to show you.
I'm a newbie too so I'm not as experienced as most of these guys here are. I have found a ton of information off here and it appears someone is always eager to help you.
Love this site!! Hope it helps and drop me a message if you need any assistance!!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He can't move the tank to install a new return line, so he is stuck with a single drain line, so he can't run a siphon.

Steve Jewell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's wild and crazy idea.....use the 3/4" for siphon, use the 1" for emergency, get some flex 3/4" pipe and pop a hole in the drywall under sump. Pop a hole above the tank and drop a fish...tie off the flex and fish it up...hook it up and voila! You are plumbed!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back