Newbie tanks

tjhart69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a complete newbie, so please don't roast me if I have made an error along the way as I am sure I have and will continue to do so as I learn in the hobby. So, I got my first tank for Mother's day 2022, a used 29 gallon oceanic biocube and I am in love. So, I went searching for a bigger tank and was able to pick up a used 250 gallon with all supplies, tank, stand, sump etc for $500! I started by refinishing the honey oak stand with "kona stain". With a little help, we were able to get the tank set up in our lower level (too much weight for the trusses in our upper level) :-( I was able to read the forums and watch some videos and I decided to plumb the tank with 2 herbies on my dual overflows. We also cut a hole through the drywall so we could place the sump in our utility room where there is a floor drain and our RODI setup next to it. The 75 gallon sump was not very accessible under the tank so this has definitely made it easier. I have rockscaped (tank came with 500 lbs of rock) and added 160 lbs of aragonite special grade from caribsea. Since the original purchase of this tank, I have lost my job, so while I have had time to work on the set up, I did not have much to spend, so I have had to be resourceful and use the supplies I have on hand. I did splurge to buy the PVC for the plumbing, but have otherwise just used the supplies I received with the tank. There are still totes full of things that I have not used and some that I don't even know what they are! I have not setup skimmers, kalkwassers, reactors, UV sterilizer, all things that were included. The tank has been up and running with water for 2 weeks. To help start my cycle I have used my nano tank: during water change from nano I added this to my 250, placed my nano filter sponge in my sump, added biomedia from the nano, and about 15-20 lbs of live rock from the nano. I also added bottled nitrifying bacteria with a fish in system. We moved our 2 ocellaris clowns and 1 golden damsel from the nano to the 250 gallon 2 days ago and so far they are doing well. I have also been working on changing the rockscape in the nano, but I do not have any photo updates yet. Here are a few photos of the progress so far.

29 gallon Oceanic biocube
image1.jpeg
image2 (1).jpeg

250 gallon build
image2.jpeg
ates yet
image3.jpeg
image0 (1).jpeg
image1 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
tjhart69

tjhart69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks are coming along. I have started another 30 gallon which is currently cycling and will be adding 33 new corals from a WWC ebay auction this week. Most of the coral will go in the 250g.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back