Newbie to seahorses

jnj97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jenn. I've been doing reef tanks for a couple of years and now I want yo venture in dwarf seahorses. For christmas I got a fluval m40 14 gallon tank.
I need advice and a help from people who have experience with them..
Here's my questions. #1 where should I get them from I'm in ny by albany
#2 the best way to feed them (I know the eat baby brine
#3 any and all info anyone would like to help me with.
Thank you in advance

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jenn, I am Dawn. I have erectus seahorses, so I don't actually have DSH experience. However I read a lot of threads on them.

If I were buying them I would consider Seahorce Source as my 1st choice. They sell captive bred seahorses although I do not know for sure that their DSH are CB.
I think KPAquatics also sells wild caught seahorses and they have a good reputation.

They do eat baby brine shrimp. Bbs is easily hatched with a diy hatchery using a 2 liter pop bottle. They should be enriched with Dans Feed which you get from Seahorse Source. Usually DSHs do better if their diet is supplemented with copepods.

There is a very interesting thread on seahorse.org about keeping DSHs in a bigger tank (40g breeder)that was seeded with pods and mysis half a year prior to adding the DSH. Its interesting reading even if you do not plan to set up a large tank.

DSH are more rigorous than most folks can keep up with long term. For instance, vacations require someone to take over with hatching and enriching food to feed your little ponies multiple times a day. DSHs need fed 2 or 3 Xs every day.

Hopefully someone who actually keeps them will give more info.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm jenn. I've been doing reef tanks for a couple of years and now I want yo venture in dwarf seahorses. For christmas I got a fluval m40 14 gallon tank.
I need advice and a help from people who have experience with them..
Here's my questions. #1 where should I get them from I'm in ny by albany
#2 the best way to feed them (I know the eat baby brine
#3 any and all info anyone would like to help me with.
Thank you in advance
Hi Jenn...just got a very good book from Amazon..."Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium" by Abbot...dispels myths, talks tank size, food...just about it all...they have it used...setting one up myself...eventually...Regards...Ken;Pompus

OP
OP
jnj97

jnj97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jenn...just got a very good book from Amazon..."Dwarf Seahorses in the Aquarium" by Abbot...dispels myths, talks tank size, food...just about it all...they have it used...setting one up myself...eventually...Regards...Ken;Pompus
Thank you. I'll look into it [emoji4] my tank has been up and running and the babies (that's what I call them) are doing great

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jenn, I am Dawn. I have erectus seahorses, so I don't actually have DSH experience. However I read a lot of threads on them.

If I were buying them I would consider Seahorce Source as my 1st choice. They sell captive bred seahorses although I do not know for sure that their DSH are CB.
I think KPAquatics also sells wild caught seahorses and they have a good reputation.

They do eat baby brine shrimp. Bbs is easily hatched with a diy hatchery using a 2 liter pop bottle. They should be enriched with Dans Feed which you get from Seahorse Source. Usually DSHs do better if their diet is supplemented with copepods.

There is a very interesting thread on seahorse.org about keeping DSHs in a bigger tank (40g breeder)that was seeded with pods and mysis half a year prior to adding the DSH. Its interesting reading even if you do not plan to set up a large tank.

DSH are more rigorous than most folks can keep up with long term. For instance, vacations require someone to take over with hatching and enriching food to feed your little ponies multiple times a day. DSHs need fed 2 or 3 Xs every day.

Hopefully someone who actually keeps them will give more info.
Have a 5 gal. setup...is it possible to keep two regular sized seahorses without them breeding...will 2 same sex ponies get along...or is that a cruel/bad idea...?;Pompus...just wouldn't know what to do with all of the babies...

Critterheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By regular sized do you mean a species other than dwarf or zosterae? Those are the only ones who need less than 25G minimum.

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I'll look into it [emoji4] my tank has been up and running and the babies (that's what I call them) are doing great
Jenn...I'm worried about adequate feeding if I am gone for a couple of days...I guess I'd have to train somebody...what do you do?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 5 gal. setup...is it possible to keep two regular sized seahorses without them breeding...will 2 same sex ponies get along...or is that a cruel/bad idea...?;Pompus...just wouldn't know what to do with all of the babies...
It is not possible to keep the regular seahorses (greater seahorses) in a 5 gallon. You can keep same sex pairs and it is not cruel or mean. However, they can change sex even when they are over a year old, especially females.

OP
OP
jnj97

jnj97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jenn...I'm worried about adequate feeding if I am gone for a couple of days...I guess I'd have to train somebody...what do you do?
I'm no expert.but from what I've been told you you can buy a feeding station. I've also been told that you can buy a station that will release a certain amount of food at scheduled times. Nut I'll have to look into it

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert.but from what I've been told you you can buy a feeding station. I've also been told that you can buy a station that will release a certain amount of food at scheduled times. Nut I'll have to look into it
Feeding station for baby brine...live...let me know...what have you been doing when you go away?...any pics...Thlanks...ALSO WHAT DO YU DO WITH THE BABIES...I SUPPOSE THAT WOULDN'T BE A PROBLEM IF THE PONIES WERE ALL ONE SEX...

Last edited:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it...Amazon or Drs. Foster and Smith...under $20...grows them and dispenses them...looks like ideal...;Pompus

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back