newbie wondering ??

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got 2 clarks clowns and put them in my 55 gallon FOWLR tank (60lbs live rock)
It has been set up since September of this year.
My nitrates stayed at 10-20 till last month then they dropped to 5 then to 0 for the last two weeks.

My question is how long should I wait to get an anemone for the clarks clowns.

also is there a best type of anemone.
I chose clarks clowns because they seem to accept the most anemones.
I am interested in a bubble tip because I am new to SW side of hobby and heard and read that they are pretty easy to maintain?

I have a 4X96 watt compact flourescent lighting system and a 30 gallon sump.(2 10k daylights, 2 actinics )

I am using 1/2 hiatt filtration with a 1/2 rubble rock return chamber.
I also have a skimmer working good.
so hopefully that is enough info and if it is not just ask I will gladly tell you anything I can to help me buy an anemone that will survive for a good long time in my tank.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say a bubble would be your best bet.I would wait a few more weeks till you get an anemone just to give you more time to get used to the tank!And yes Bubble Tips are very easy if you have a stable tank!And clarkii clowns will go to just about every anemone out there!

mr_X

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this tank has been up for 4 months? i would get one now. a few weeks isn't going to matter.
though i really don't think it's the type of clowns that make them go to a host or not, it's the question of whether they are tank raised or wild caught...and even then, these particular clowns might not take to the anemone for unknown reasons. it's a gamble.
here's some info on bubble tips incase you haven't seen it-
BTAnemRMF

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone else (on another forum) said my lighting might be to soft for even bubble tips?
should I steer clear and try a frogspawn first?
that was their suggestion?
what are the odds they will host the frogspawn better or worse than an anemone.
With what Mr X said above maybe I should start with something easier.

I am all ears ?
and thanks

makingbubbles

Broke, Poor, Cheap Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lighting is good enough. The anemone will move to where it feels best but most likely towards the top. As for the frogspawn it looks great but might not take as much roughing up from your clowns as anemone would. I would still try frogspawn if your going with a coral tank. Because its a very easy to maintain coral that looks great and reproduces well even under low light.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well most people(Even myself)recomend waiting 6months to put an anemone in a tank.This just helps the person get used to the system.

nayrgaijin

Aquaculture Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO you have enough lighting, also it doesn't depend on the tank raise or wild caught either, we have ORA clowns and other tank raised clowns host all the time where I work.
They usually do well in GBTA.

Burke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think your fine. I have a couple BTAs and my clarkiis took to them right away. I would also feed silversides once a week. I think they like the larger chuncks of meat. It's also fun to watch the clowns feed the anemones. Good luck.

jaa1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anenomes will move around so if you plan on putting in other corals it might not be such a great idea. And the frogspawn probably won't do that well with clowns. I have both in my tank and the clown never goes near the frogspawn at all.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a frag of frogspawn and also going out looking for a BTA
what are all the abbreviations for ?

LBTA, RBTA (rose ? Bubble tip anem.) but I see a lot of other _BTA's out there.
and thanks so much for all the help. I will go looking tomorrow and see what I can find in the area.

OP
OP
F

FishyFarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok So another milestone. I TOOK THE PLUNGE
I used the snowday monday to go to fintastic and get an bubble tip anemone
it wandered around just a bit and today the first clark's clown is rubbing all over it.

from all I have read that is a good sign.
I wonder though how come the other clarkii tends to stay at the opposite end of the tank until all the lights go out then it wanders up and hides with 2nd clown.
eeekk now one clown is in the BTA and the other is chased away at every oppurtunity.

just wondering though I am glad one clown is already scrubbing.

Last edited:
Back