mischiefmanaged

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m a newbie in Florida. I’ve been a lurker for a while and learning quite a bit. I don’t currently have a saltwater tank, but I have wanted a reef tank for a long time. My husband and I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get started. We are thinking of getting the Waterbox 180.5. Is it crazy to start with such a large size as our first tank?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Not crazy (honestly we are probably all at least a little crazy)!

Clownfish.gif

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I’m a newbie in Florida. I’ve been a lurker for a while and learning quite a bit. I don’t currently have a saltwater tank, but I have wanted a reef tank for a long time. My husband and I have finally decided to pull the trigger and get started. We are thinking of getting the Waterbox 180.5. Is it crazy to start with such a large size as our first tank?
Welcome!

They say bigger is better (sorry, couldn't resist)... but IMO smaller has more challenges. I think you'll be fine and you'll enjoy the options you'll have

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome.hope all is good with you and your family ^_^.
In bigger tank have more options for more elaborate aquascapes and if make any mistakes it doesnt affect/ show as fast going downhill as it would in smaller tank as they can go downhill so fast so more time to recognise and address the problem.
I have a i think classed as 80 gallon but daft internal overflow box in middle which limited my aquascape more than i would of thought ( never had sump beforeso didnt realise) but 180 gallon nice big decent size and your choice of fishes goes up the bigger tank size you get.anyway goodluck ^_^

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really depends on what you want to keep, what your budget is, how much maintenance you want to do/how much you want to automate (which ties into budget). Personally, I think a 180g for someone who’s never owned a reef tank is a pretty big leap of faith, but if you’ve done your research and understand what owning a tank that size entails (working in the tank can be difficult just because it’s hard to reach the bottom/back of the tank and can be expensive to maintain). But at the same time, if you’re sure this hobby is for you, and you have the budget, you might as well get a tank that’s big enough to grow into. Again, there are just a lot of factors to consider. If you’re at all on the fence about the hobby, I would recommend getting your feet wet with a nano, but if you’re committed, the budgets there, and you’ve done your homework, I say go for it, go all out, get all the bells and whistles.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Welcome! Honestly that is pretty big. Theoretically it might be better to start with a smaller tank (but not too small, those have problems in and of themselves). However, I am always in the camp of, if you go for something you are super interested in, you'd spend more effort on it so it may end up being better. So yeah, so long as that size tank excites you guys and stuff, then I say go for it!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Back