Next wrasse to add...

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a pintail fairy wrasse and getting ready to introduce a pink margin fairy wrasse this weekend from quarantine. I'm already looking which one to add next (crossing my fingers to hear from @evolved himself :D). My LFS has three good suitors to pick from right now. A Katherine's fairy wrasse, an orange back fairy wrasse, and a female leopard wrasse. I'm leaning toward the leopard wrasse but I don't have much experience with them. She wouldn't eat while I was there so I passed for the time being to think about it. Wondered if any wrasse guys/girls could weigh in either on the options above or any others that would make a good fit.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards, are very difficult, but once established they make great additions. I have one ( Blue Star) Been in Tank for about a month, now that eats like a pig, They do require an well established reef tank and plenty of PODS, I love all wrasses wish I had a bigger tank to enjoy more. I also have 2 Ruby long fins and 1 Yellow Coris

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been working on getting my pod population up but it's so hard to gauge. I've read they're also difficult to QT. I've never really considered having one but the leopard at store was stunning.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Katherine's fairy wrasse, an orange back fairy wrasse, and a female leopard wrasse.
Any of those should be compatible, with the Katherine's being just slightly more risky of personality conflicts.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the store they fed brine but she wouldn't go after it. I'm going to stop by again this week to see if anything has changed. Will your potter's eat mysis?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are great wrasses, but none I have owned would eat frozen no matter how long I owned them.

I did have a blue spot that would eat a pellet or two, but never preferred them, or would eat frozen.

OP
OP
nkyreef

nkyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards are great wrasses, but none I have owned would eat frozen no matter how long I owned them.

I did have a blue spot that would eat a pellet or two, but never preferred them, or would eat frozen.

Do you mostly feed live foods? I have some pod population but nothing that would sustain her as the only food source.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rely on pods. I'll buy a bunch a couple times a year just to keep my supply up. My current leopard(negrosensis) eats nothing but pods, and is actually quite fat. lol

I've often thought about breeding my own pods, but for the 3 or 4 times a year I buy them, it's just way easier to buy them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Leopards, M. negrosensis and M. meleagris eat everything. Flakes, pellets and frozen. They compete with other fish quite well. They hunt all day too and quite fat.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back