Nicks 220g Big Boy Build

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad the plumbing issue is sorted. Great job on the rockwork! I also like the siporax reactor. That's something I hadn't thought of doing (but might do...).

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the plumbing issue is sorted. Great job on the rockwork! I also like the siporax reactor. That's something I hadn't thought of doing (but might do...).

I borrowed the idea from someone else as well. It ensures there is always flow throughout and hopefully not much detritus.

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2QaCYOC.jpg
Any recent updates?

I realized I am a bit behind..

I have snails in it now.. I had two gobies in QT.. one disappeared the first day and the second died 5 days later.

The first goby was a tiny suntail and the second goby was a very large pink and blue spotted goby. I am not certain but I believe the tiny goby was a snack and not sure why the second goby died. I was going to start general cure that night when I got home from work, but it was dead.

I have orange striped cardinals on order as well as two skunk cleaner shrimps.

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much to update other than I have started to finally build my canopy. I also have my soon to be first fish in QT.. which is what got my butt moving on the canopy ;)

EhSZZoH.jpg

Oh I also have some macros in my insump refugium. They will need some nutrients soon..

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking big tank. Sorry about the plumbing issues. One of my fears for my new build is flipping that switch when it is full of water and praying everything is water tight. Like your Siporax reactor. I did the same thing with an old Geo Kalk reactor I had laying around. It is 19" tall. Drilled a couple extra holes to install the necessary plumbing. I went with the large 25mm Siporax that I have seen used on some of the South American tanks I have seen on here. I have the same hope that it won't get too messy in the reactor. Counting on the larger size will help with that.

SiporaxReactor1.jpg
SiporaxReactor2.jpg

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fin I tried to stack the siporax in neat columns but it wasn't happening, thanks for the kind words.

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 3 marsaquas for Christmas and built my canopy.

v3avieL.jpg

RvIgLLT.jpg

And over the last few days I have been moving stuff into the 220.

U1iCya1.jpg

W9yPc0m.jpg

cVG6Tne.jpg

bXStjaS.jpg

Today I hope to catch my blennies and leopard wrasse to move them over, and the last of the corals and rock.

I had one newer pink milli mini colony I just picked up rtn after I moved it over. Hoping a few polyps hang on. Most of my acros were already browning out due to the neglect of the biocube and death of my skimmer over the past month and a half. I'm hoping in the 220 everything bounces back.

I still need to skin, paint and do the finish trim.

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently added three new fish that were on my list, Cirrhilabrus lubbocki, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus and a rainfords goby.

The lubbocks has done very well, (s)he? is acting like she has been here the whole time. The Exquisite seems to have an injured head (small bump) and maybe a small tear near one gill. I don't think it's from aggression from other fish but perhaps from dive bombing into the rocks upon entry into the tank.

The rainfords goby I have not seen since day 2 when it was hiding beneath some rocks (I could still see it). It has since relocated but I have not seen it, cross your fingers for me.

89nsNFA.jpg

Lubbocks

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I have some pics of my the fishes that were hiding. The exquisite wrasse definately had physical injuries and thankfully had recovered well without infection or issues.

Rainfords Goby hanging in the back where it ALWAYS hangs... picking away at algae and sand...

BBa6Onp.jpg

Exquisite Wrasse

y1JgGiA.jpg

OP
OP
Nick James

Nick James

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a first annual coral show in Niagara yesterday which was a huge success. I picked up a mini colony of a reddish pink acro with red/pink polyps, Tyree pink lemonade, a crazy leptastrea (forget name), JF Foxy Lady(?), a very fuzzy green acro, and grew up/yellow favia with orange eye.

I also picked up a tabling pinky/purple acro and a blue stag, both were huge chunks.

I suck at pics but here are a few under white lights:

75XTKmJ.jpg

aG39Eto.jpg

y4Mh5Zw.jpg

vWeVhJ5.jpg

Pj2107c.jpg

LpNIlPv.jpg

tOCqmq6.jpg

HzhGhOV.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back