Nick's 360 Gallons Reef Tank with Angels

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
First off, let’s start with the tank. The tank was delivered October of 2015. Other than the initial inspection, it was crated back up and has been sitting in my garage.

Tank dimension is 72”x48”x24” and holds ~360gallons. It was built by Miracle. Miracle also made the stand for it. The tank is built as a peninsula set up. Large external overflow with 3 drain(planning on doing a Bean overflow). Two returns from the overflow side and 4 return holes from the opposite side. Starfire on all viewable side.

OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Now for the aquascape. I've gave a lot of thoughts as to how to aquascape this. It's a peninsula tank with 3 view-able sides. And with such a wide tank, all the 3 sides need to appealing. I always like the two island idea. However, with this tank, it will look just like two piles of rocks.
One day, while cleaning my office desk, I noticed the traveling book of Hawaii. I thought of doing the Hawaiian Islands right away. But to get the whole thing in the tank, the tank will need to be pretty long. I've been to Maui a couple times so I zoomed into the map and came up with Maui and the surrounding islands of Molaka'i, Lanai, Kaho'olawe.
The stretch looks like this and this is what I followed.

With some water

OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score
Water was filled in November of 2016.
Currently running Giesmann 72" Spectra with the following combination. I think the T5 ballast in the Spectra is over driving the T5. I've never seen Blue Plus being this white.
3x250W Radium
2x80W Giesmann Super Actinic
2x80W ATI Blue Plus

Reef Pro Corals
OP
this is me

this is me

View Badges
Reaction score

One of the most underrated fish in this hobby.

And my biggest accomplishment in this hobby and most rewarding. I've kept this fat and healthy for 3 months now. Always pecking on the sand and rocks and out swimming. Beautiful fish!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Ced21

View Badges
Reaction score
So nice to see you do a built thread. I saw your videos on YouTube earlier this year and they were inspirational! Ended up buying a 96x36x24tall tank through miracles. Great build quality. Got it set up a couple months ago.

Being able to get your regal angels to pair up and seeing them do so well is awesome. They are my bucket list fish. Saw a pair when I was snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef off Cairns. So cool to see your tank. Great work!!!!

Are most hobbyists using enough live rock these days?

• Yes

Votes: 104 23.3%
  • No

Votes: 155 34.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 178 39.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors