OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you using the black plastic clips during your water changes. I had a nut fall into my tank from one of those recently and found it in my sandbed, starting to rust. I now inspect those closely before and after I use them.
Thanks for the heads-up! I’ll keep that in mind as I use them. They don’t seem well-made, so I’ve been thinking about getting different ones.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am going to attempt to convert the metric plumbing that came with my Waterbox to standard plumbing. I placed an order for six pieces, which was expensive! I opted for the cheapest shipping option, which was half of the cost of the fittings. Here’s to hoping that they work since I can’t walk into a local hardware shop and get metric fittings.

3E5139E7-8AB1-4358-A08C-C56F916B681B.png

Also, I head back from Waterbox regarding the orange spot on the tank, and they had me send some photos to the QC team. They reached out to me and said that it may be the vinyl, so they asked me to peel the vinyl up to verify. They were correct; there was a defect with the vinyl, but the vinyl wouldn’t reapply and stick as it was before the check. I emailed them photos of the now-larger issue, so I’m hoping that they get back with me soon.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried to wet the surface of the glass and vinyl, but it didn’t help any. It still looks awful. I’ll wait to hear back from Waterbox. I did what they asked me to do, which made the issue worse, so hopefully they will make it right.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when you apply vinyl to other mediums they use water to place it then squeegee it to adhere. But the adhesive might be on the glass and no longer attached to the vinyl...

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard from Waterbox contacted me today, a Saturday, to let me know that they will be sending me a new tank. It’s not typical for manufacturers to contact you on weekends regarding support tickets. Their customer service has been fantastic!

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you get to keep the old tank too?! ;Happy
I’m not sure; I haven’t been instructed yet. I assume that I do since it would likely cost as much, if not more, to ship back as the tank itself costs since it’s a couple of hundred pounds and takes up a large amount of space.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some more goods today. I ordered a couple of optical sensors for my Apex. One will go into my ATO reservoir, and the other will go into my overflow box to alert me if the water level rises to high inside of it, which could indicate blockages in the drain pipes.

9D08FEAD-C211-4B04-B305-D6A186C351B5.jpeg

D2C1109A-14AC-482D-B224-C2EFD0C590EE.jpeg

AD924469-CD39-4E89-8BCF-536112154B4A.jpeg

Also, my wrasses are not doing well in quarantine; I don’t think that they will survive.

I removed them from the quarantine tank that had copper in it, and I moved them into a new 10g tank with API General Cure because I noticed that they both have had feces that is indicative of internal parasites.

Neither fish has eaten in days, and the Exquisite looks like it doesn’t have much life left in it. I’ve tried adding a bunch of pods to the tank to entice them to eat, but neither wants anything to do with them. That was surprising to me because they were voracious eaters when I brought them home.

After seeking advice from other members, it was said that wrasses typically come into the aquarium trade with parasites, and that they should be treated immediately. That will be something that I do from this point onward. I love wrasses, but I’ve not had any luck with them this time around; my McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse was bullied and killed, and my Exquisite Fairy Wrasse and Blueside Fairy Wrasse are lethargic and unlikely to survive.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Waterbox regarding a shipment date for my replacement tank. In the meantime, I have some plumbing fittings arriving tomorrow so that I can attempt to convert the metric plumbing kit that came with my system to standard plumbing. Waiting on the replacement tank buys me some time to try the conversion with my current tank.

Patrick Fox

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received some more goods today. I ordered a couple of optical sensors for my Apex. One will go into my ATO reservoir, and the other will go into my overflow box to alert me if the water level rises to high inside of it, which could indicate blockages in the drain pipes.

9D08FEAD-C211-4B04-B305-D6A186C351B5.jpeg

D2C1109A-14AC-482D-B224-C2EFD0C590EE.jpeg

AD924469-CD39-4E89-8BCF-536112154B4A.jpeg

Also, my wrasses are not doing well in quarantine; I don’t think that they will survive.

I removed them from the quarantine tank that had copper in it, and I moved them into a new 10g tank with API General Cure because I noticed that they both have had feces that is indicative of internal parasites.

Neither fish has eaten in days, and the Exquisite looks like it doesn’t have much life left in it. I’ve tried adding a bunch of pods to the tank to entice them to eat, but neither wants anything to do with them. That was surprising to me because they were voracious eaters when I brought them home.

After seeking advice from other members, it was said that wrasses typically come into the aquarium trade with parasites, and that they should be treated immediately. That will be something that I do from this point onward. I love wrasses, but I’ve not had any luck with them this time around; my McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse was bullied and killed, and my Exquisite Fairy Wrasse and Blueside Fairy Wrasse are lethargic and unlikely to survive.

I’m still waiting to hear back from Waterbox regarding a shipment date for my replacement tank. In the meantime, I have some plumbing fittings arriving tomorrow so that I can attempt to convert the metric plumbing kit that came with my system to standard plumbing. Waiting on the replacement tank buys me some time to try the conversion with my current tank.
Hey Nick,

I'm really sorry to hear that your wrasses aren't well. Hopefully they make a comeback. That's crazy news though about the tank! I can't believe waterbox is willing to eat the cost. That's some pretty remarkable customer service.

Hope things get moving smoother for you soon.

Pat

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeez i'm very surprised they are sending you a new tank for a vinyl issue haha. good for you.

when it comes to cutting pvc, nothing beats a miter saw :)

and not sure how different the sizes are (metric vs USA) but if they are quite close, you could probably use flexible tubing to bridge the difference. a short bit of it. Plumb one end to a pvc barbed of your choosing, and bam .

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Nick,
I'm really sorry to hear that your wrasses aren't well. Hopefully they make a comeback.

I'm hoping so. I hate seeing them in the shape that they are in. I know that any future wrasses will be treated immediately for internal parasites.

Hey Nick,
That's crazy news though about the tank! I can't believe waterbox is willing to eat the cost. That's some pretty remarkable customer service.

jeez i'm very surprised they are sending you a new tank for a vinyl issue haha. good for you.

Yeah, I was happy when they agreed to sending a replacement. I love the tank and stand, but I don't want to settle for something that doesn't make me happy after considering the cost of the system. I'm hoping that the replacement comes in without any issues.

when it comes to cutting pvc, nothing beats a miter saw :)

and not sure how different the sizes are (metric vs USA) but if they are quite close, you could probably use flexible tubing to bridge the difference. a short bit of it. Plumb one end to a pvc barbed of your choosing, and bam .

I picked up a PVC cutter, so I'm hoping that will get me by for a while; it was easy to use when I tested it out.

My conversion fittings arrive today, so I am excited to get home, but I am anxious to see whether they will work or not.

OP
OP
nickkohrn

nickkohrn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some good news and some bad news from today.

Good news - The PVC fittings that I ordered from a CoralVue arrived today. The 32mm unions and 32mm-1” PVC adapters fit As expected.

Bad news - My Exquisite Fairy Wrasse was dead when I came home from work. I didn’t expect it to last much longer. Also, the 25mm-3/4” PVC adapter didn’t fit snugly into the 32mm union; there is a little wiggle room inside of the bulkhead where the conversion fitting gets inserted. I emailed CoralVue, so I’m expecting a response soon.

I will likely start to work on plumbing the drains soon since I can do that while I’m waiting on replacement fittings for the return.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back