Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

Rarnold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 50w version on my biocube. The biocube was in my garage for a decade (tried to get my son interested, he didn't get interested and tookn it down). This is not my main aquarium so no big buck items. Live rock came out of my other tank, $80 JBJ ATO, $70 hygger nano wave maker, 20lb bag of live sand and the nicrew light.
I have no complaints. As long as you know there isn't going to be any sunrise/sunset/app control, individual spectrum control etc. Basically you set blue and white channel intensities to where you like them and plug into an outlet timer to turn on/off automatically (Same for my other tank with two halides only). You can make it as blue or white as you want it. On my size tank I'm sure it will grow anything. Only sps I have are montipora cap, reverse superman monti and a green stylo. I have a neon green goni, zoa and some encrusters on at the bottom. Light was strong enough to bleach a lepto at the bottom so I moved it into shade. Everything else has been fine and maintained their colors. I run blue channel at 60%, white channel at 20%. No skimmer, 250ml Seachem matrix media in back chamber, factory biocube cartridge filters and weekly 25% water changes. Hasn't been up long enough for any growth reports
20200913_144937.jpg
Came looking for exactly this, I know it's over a year later. Wondering if it's still up and if you'd buy it again. Would you try the 100w on the biocube?

Floowid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised these lights aren't getting more love here and across the reefkeeping community. I'm putting in new floors in my living room in the spring so of course I took that opportunity to upgrade the 75 gallon to a 150 gallon. So as a slow rolling emergency measure last month I set up a 40b I had sitting around as a holding tank for all the livestock I wanted to keep through the move/build. It's just temporary so I used stuff I had and bought cheap stuff that I thought would just get me by for a few months. I decided to grab a Nicrew Hyperreef 150w just to check it out. I'm liking this light so much I will probably get 2 more and use them to light the 150. I'm this close to getting the Kessil X controller, but I keep waiting on the Nicrew version, anybody hear anything more about their controller?

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised these lights aren't getting more love here and across the reefkeeping community. I'm putting in new floors in my living room in the spring so of course I took that opportunity to upgrade the 75 gallon to a 150 gallon. So as a slow rolling emergency measure last month I set up a 40b I had sitting around as a holding tank for all the livestock I wanted to keep through the move/build. It's just temporary so I used stuff I had and bought cheap stuff that I thought would just get me by for a few months. I decided to grab a Nicrew Hyperreef 150w just to check it out. I'm liking this light so much I will probably get 2 more and use them to light the 150. I'm this close to getting the Kessil X controller, but I keep waiting on the Nicrew version, anybody hear anything more about their controller?
I think the biggest cons to these are:
- Controllability is very limited
- No built-in ramp up/down timer
- Seems like the dedicated timer is never actually going to happen

Nicrew 100W HyperReef is same price as SmatFarm 95W on Amazon and the SmatFarm has built-in ramp up/down timer, just as an example.

I'm running a Nicrew 50W HyperReef on one channel of a Kessil Spectral Controller "A" (older one) and it "kind of" works but not perfectly.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the biggest cons to these are:
- Controllability is very limited
- No built-in ramp up/down timer
- Seems like the dedicated timer is never actually going to happen

Nicrew 100W HyperReef is same price as SmatFarm 95W on Amazon and the SmatFarm has built-in ramp up/down timer, just as an example.

I'm running a Nicrew 50W HyperReef on one channel of a Kessil Spectral Controller "A" (older one) and it "kind of" works but not perfectly.
Yeah, I returned the Nicrew I bought for the Smat Farm light, which I think is superior. The lenses in the SF lights are great and I really like the set and forget aspect of the light.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them on my 120. They are OK, but I've had better growth & par out of black box lights. The par they claim is way overrated.

Mikosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Thought i would put an update on here.

2x100w

On a 90 gallon rimmed tank.

Running them at
60% blue
5%white
10 hours on (no ramp up)

Follow me on instagram and youtube @Mikosreef if you want to see more pictures.

In the beginning i bleached some corals (montipora, and euphillia) running them at a higher percentage for 12 hours a day.

60% blue
5% white
Seems to be working well for me.

Attached is a tank picture.

Follow me on instagram for more/better pictures

Attachments

• 20220123_155241.jpg
    20220123_155241.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 381

JWD57NH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank god I found this thread. I just ordered the light today and it's coming next week.

I'd suggest you look into the Pro timer by Nicrew as well. This timer is versatile and might work on the Nicrew HyperReef if it has the right connections. I showed you the male-female jack in the pics. Whoever has the light could you confirm if it has this connections? With this timer you can adjust intensity and program the light to mimic sunrise/sunset mode. I have 2 of these connected to different Nicrew units for my FW tanks.

20201030_134752.jpg

20201030_134615.jpg

20201030_134747.jpg
It doesn’t work on the big 150 watts, or I got two broken timers lol

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just released the the light controller last week for hyper reef 50, 100 and 150.

hyper.PNG

Finally -- thanks for the tip.
Looks like a knock off of the older Kessil Spectral Controller.
Can't tell if it has 2 separate 0-10v outputs and programs (like older Kessil) or just one.

*been using older Kessil Spectral Controller "A" to control 1 Nicrew HyperReef 50w and 1 Kessil A80 separately -- mostly working with the Nicrew but not perfect.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon is getting proud of these and smatfarm lights.
The new controller linked a few posts above is targeted for the Nicrew HyperReef 50-150 watt LEDs. (I have Nicrew HyperReef 50 watt already so might try the controller out, not sure)

SmatFarm 95 watt LED must be popular because the price has been jumping -- used to be $120ish, then $140, now $168. People seem to like them and they apparently already have built-in timer/controller with ramp up/down.

If I were looking to buy a Nicrew 100 watt, I'd go for the SmatFarm instead, even though I've never used it.

*for the finally released Nicrew controller, I'm hoping someone buys it or they update their specs/info -- I want to know if it has two separate 0-10v outputs or not that can be controlled individually. (Can't tell from the pics and info currently on Amazon)

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the smatfarm has jumped $10 just in a week. I'm interested but they have no specs on the LEDs and what nm or brand they use. I'm probably just going to get 2 viparspectra 165 and some quality LED to mod the spectrum. At least the viparspectra can be repaired when they fail

jason17star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally -- thanks for the tip.
Looks like a knock off of the older Kessil Spectral Controller.
Can't tell if it has 2 separate 0-10v outputs and programs (like older Kessil) or just one.

*been using older Kessil Spectral Controller "A" to control 1 Nicrew HyperReef 50w and 1 Kessil A80 separately -- mostly working with the Nicrew but not perfect.
Seems like there are only one 0-10v outlet

20220216_201845.jpg 20220216_204347.jpg

Last edited:

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there are only one 0-10v outlet
Thanks -- yeah, just one. Might still try one for the Nicrew only since not too expensive but I don't think I'm planning to keep that light too much longer so maybe not.

Have you used it yet?
If so, or whenever you do, I'm interested in how it works out for you.

jason17star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks -- yeah, just one. Might still try one for the Nicrew only since not too expensive but I don't think I'm planning to keep that light too much longer so maybe not.

Have you used it yet?
If so, or whenever you do, I'm interested in how it works out for you.
Yea just set it up, pretty straightforward. Get to set 6 time points with blue and white intensity and automatically ramps up and down. Pretty huge step up from the nicrew dual channel aquarium light.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea just set it up, pretty straightforward. Get to set 6 time points with blue and white intensity and automatically ramps up and down. Pretty huge step up from the nicrew dual channel aquarium light.
Does the ramp up/down adjust the Nicrew LED intensity smoothly, or does the LED jump through it's normal "steps" (100, 80, 60, 40, 20, 5, 0%) throughout the controller's "ramping"?

jason17star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the ramp up/down adjust the Nicrew LED intensity smoothly, or does the LED jump through it's normal "steps" (100, 80, 60, 40, 20, 5, 0%) throughout the controller's "ramping"?
It's ramping down smoothly (11% down throughout 30 min), not sure the rate but def not by huge increments.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back