Nicrew Hyper Reef Led

chewyblunts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there are only one 0-10v outlet

20220216_201845.jpg 20220216_204347.jpg
can you give me some info on how you got the programs configured? every time i set it up it changes everything to 5 minute intervals and it doesnt seem to be ramping up the power

jason17star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you give me some info on how you got the programs configured? every time i set it up it changes everything to 5 minute intervals and it doesnt seem to be ramping up the power
Not sure if this helps but i took pics of schedule I'm using, didn't do anything different except set these points.

Attachments

• 20220309_135935.jpg
    20220309_135935.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20220309_135946.jpg
    20220309_135946.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20220309_135952.jpg
    20220309_135952.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 20220309_135955.jpg
    20220309_135955.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 173
  • 20220309_140001.jpg
    20220309_140001.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 20220309_140004.jpg
    20220309_140004.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 158

chewyblunts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the screen shots. my issue was that i was trying to program it to turn off after 12midnight. i dont think the controller likes that. whenever i tried to set the last time point after 24:00, the controller would set all the other time points to 5 minute intervals.

Domavista

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone ever got any par readings off this light or are currently using this light on a mixed reef? i like the price and the fact that it comes with a tank mount

Just picked my up amazing lights for the money. Need to adjust to lower levels otherwise measuring 500 - 600 par. Set it up so it measures 150-200 par on the sand bed. Installed 2 150 watt on my 70 gallon bow

Lydiab886

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lighting schedule do you guys suggest for a 50watt on a 13.5? I just got this controller for my tank and looked at the lighting schedule above. Could I just double the values that was posted above? I currently do not have any corals yet but wanted to get a good schedule going first. This is my first time using an official reef led light.

ModernFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to weigh in and offer my $0.02

After reading this thread I figured, eh why not give them a try.

I have a 180 mixed reef and am trying to swap over from a T5 to LED. The prospect of AI Hydra was looking to be $2,000-2,500 and Radions were out of the question for what I am willing to spend.

For $180 I figured the 150 was worth a try

I ordered one to see if I liked it, and I liked it a lot. It is a bit clunky to use without the controller. So I went ahead and ordered 2 more lights and the controller.

Game Changer!

You can set 6 lighting points and it transitions the light automatically by 1% at a time between the lighting points, so it is as smooth as can be.

I own several AI Hydra 16/32, and the drawbacks are that you cannot set each light channel independently, you can only control the “white” and “blue” levels. However, the general settings they offer are fairly similar to what I have on my AI lights. Seeing how similar these lights are in output for a fraction of the cost, I am not at all disappointed in the result. I will update in a few months, but so far I am very happy with it.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0

I have a 180 mixed reef and am trying to swap over from a T5 to LED. The prospect of AI Hydra was looking to be $2,000-2,500 and Radions were out of the question for what I am willing to spend.

I ordered one to see if I liked it, and I liked it a lot. It is a bit clunky to use without the controller. So I went ahead and ordered 2 more lights and the controller.

Game Changer!

You can set 6 lighting points and it transitions the light automatically by 1% at a time between the lighting points, so it is as smooth as can be.

I own several AI Hydra 16/32, and the drawbacks are that you cannot set each light channel independently, you can only control the “white” and “blue” levels. However, the general settings they offer are fairly similar to what I have on my AI lights. Seeing how similar these lights are in output for a fraction of the cost, I am not at all disappointed in the result. I will update in a few months, but so far I am very happy with it.

I was just thinking about how underrated these lights are earlier this evening. I currently have 6 (4x50w and 2x100w) of them running over my 125. The tank is pretty new still (8 months) and I definitely started stocking it with acros a little too soon, but I'm starting to get some really good coloring and decent growth (I'm still partial to halides and T5 for growth... I'm old) with these lights. I'm controlling them with the kessil controller.

I'm just finishing up building my DIY AIO (sump-less) frag/grow out tank (tank is 7'x30"x1') that will be lit by 10x50w nicrews, a 250w halide (running radium 20k in a lumenarc elite reflector) and 4x48" T5 (might do 8x... not 100% sure on that yet). So as you can probably tell, I'm pretty happy with these nicrews.

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions, the physical size, of the 150w and 100w units? Can anybody share some measurements without the mounts?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Game Changer!

I don’t know if this wasn’t a feature on older AI lights, but on the most recent version you can absolutely adjust each channel independently.

ModernFrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if this wasn’t a feature on older AI lights, but on the most recent version you can absolutely adjust each channel independently.
No, I’m saying that the only difference between the NICREW and the AI lights is that you cannot control each color channel independently as you can with the AI lights.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I’m saying that the only difference between the NICREW and the AI lights is that you cannot control each color channel independently as you can with the AI lights.
Well,,, that's not the ONLY difference.
*I switched from a Nicrew 50w (+ Kessil A80) to 2x AI Prime 16 HDs (55w) -- I was actually pretty happy with the Nicrew for the price but glad I did make the switch.

AI Prime (55w) vs Nicrew 50w gets you:
- 2.2x price (...main reason the Nicrew is worth considering)
- Complete programmability and controllability through the myAI app on your phone
- Smaller and lighter

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well,,, that's not the ONLY difference.
*I switched from a Nicrew 50w (+ Kessil A80) to 2x AI Prime 16 HDs (55w) -- I was actually pretty happy with the Nicrew for the price but glad I did make the switch.

AI Prime (55w) vs Nicrew 50w gets you:
- 2.2x price (...main reason the Nicrew is worth considering)
- Complete programmability and controllability through the myAI app on your phone
- Smaller and lighter
Also better build quality, higher quality name brand diodes and drivers, better spectrum, and way more functionality. I don’t mean to say that Nicrew lights are necessarily bad, but you do get what you pay for.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also better build quality, higher quality name brand diodes and drivers, better spectrum, and way more functionality. I don’t mean to say that Nicrew lights are necessarily bad, but you do get what you pay for.
Tru 'dat ... although I never had any problems with the Nicrew

I'll go out on a limb and guess better support also, although I haven't needed it (yet) but if you've ever assumed (like I once did) that Nicrew must at least have a website with reasonable documentation,,, uhhh

EDIT -- hey, just checked and Nicrew website looks way better than when I last looked,,, but still don't see any HyperReef manual. (At least the website has improved)

Last edited:

justarex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just hooked up four of the 150s and really like the lights so far. I'm coming from an 8 bulb t5 setup so that says a lot. I bought the new nicrew controller but having a hard time seeing how to connect to my apex. I have a kessil apex wire but only 1 0-10 output on the nicrew controller. Anybody?

RevRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has any body tried both the kessil controller AND the Nicrew controller to compare? Does the Nicrew allow settings in 1% Increments with the controller?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Has any body tried both the kessil controller AND the Nicrew controller to compare? Does the Nicrew allow settings in 1% Increments with the controller?

I will be soon. I've got a total of 6 nicrew lights over my 125 (4x50w and 2x100w) that are controlled by the kessil controller (which could be laid out better, but it gets the job done). I've got a nicrew controller coming (tomorrow, I think) that will control 10x50w (hopefully... not sure if it can/will control that many lights daisy chained together) that will be going over my frag tank.

I hope to have the full system running in about a week or so.

RevRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will be soon. I've got a total of 6 nicrew lights over my 125 (4x50w and 2x100w) that are controlled by the kessil controller (which could be laid out better, but it gets the job done). I've got a nicrew controller coming (tomorrow, I think) that will control 10x50w (hopefully... not sure if it can/will control that many lights daisy chained together) that will be going over my frag tank.

I hope to have the full system running in about a week or so.
Can't wait to hear your feedback. Please keep me updated.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back