NICREW Hyperreef 30w

BrooksMcC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I am very new to this hobby. I’ve kept freshwater for years. I currently have 9 freshwater tanks. I’m now 4 months in on my first reef tank. Successfully navigated the ugly phase and have some (8) frags so far. Nothing to write home about. The light on the Evo 13.5 died… the replacement took forever to ship, so I purchased the NICREW Hyperreef 30w to get me by. I love how it looks. I have a diy top on now and have a red sea mesh top on order from BRS. Have two questions:
1) Does anyone have reliable IN WATER par levels for this light? I can only find the Info for the light from the manufacturer at 24” in air. My coral is closer but… under water.
2) Is this enough light for a softie/LPS EVO 13.5? I know bigger isn’t always better. I am tempted to trade up to the Hyperreef 50. Is this overkill? The tank isn’t that deep and I have the light as low (height) as it will go.

I will work on cable management once I decide on a final light solution. I promise!

A33AE94F-4F0D-464B-9459-BD583F43E2DE.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
that light will suffice for that size tank. can't help you much with PAR readings or even efficiency as i do not have that light. you could always raise the light and look for someone to maybe 3D print some blinds of sorts to direct the light in the tank rather than have some of it spill out due to raising the height. try out the 30 before jumping to the 50.

also, welcome aboard the r2r board!

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting a 32 watt Nicrew saltwater classic today for my 20 gallon. Hopefully it turns out to be a good value until I can get something more substantial.

Putting money in water movement and everything but the light for now until I get more serious about coral. I know I probably won't be keeping SPS but at the same time I am not ready for a very long time because my tank has only been up for a few weeks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back