Nipped find treatment

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I have a 3” magnificent foxface (Michael J Foxface) and a 1” Randall’s Goby (Toby) sharing a 10 gallon QT tank. They have been in 1.75ppm copper since Monday, after ramping from 1.0 on Friday. They got a ruby reef rally dip, 90 minutes, after they got home before going into copper

Sometime between 8am and 3pm today, Michael the jerkface ripped the entire dorsal fin from Toby’s back.

I’ve added an eggcrate divider after a quick run to Lowe’s. Didn’t think it would have been necessary, otherwise I would have held off getting Toby in the first place

I’m actually really bummed. Randall’s goby has been in my list for a while and I got him maybe a little impulsively while picking up the foxface.

Any suggestions for what to add to the water to combat possible infections? Broad spectrum antibiotic? Keep going with the copper and keep an eye out for infection?

Thanks
683fbf22f53b6f97311deec6b2d38c1c.jpg

a1e93ccd7f4259d36806794410644b7b.jpg

Michael jerkface
8a79d3872a4699edd173d5ef08aedbb1.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor thing! Adding antibiotics to therapeutic levels of copper can be hazardous. Since you've got them separated, I'd wait and see, minimizing stress and keeping the water as clean as possible. Hopefully the goby is eating.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, he was taking some x-small pellets and tiny bits of mysis, but he didn’t eat at 4pm when I put the divider in. I’ll try again at 7.30-8 pm just before lights out

I add selcon to all of the QT food, so hopefully the vitamin boost will help him ward off any infections

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider pulling the goby for a 60-90 minute bath in the Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that could help the fish's immune system to heal the wounds.

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could consider pulling the goby for a 60-90 minute bath in the Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that could help the fish's immune system to heal the wounds.

I think I’ll hold off on that until he shows infection symptoms. He’s pretty stressed out right now.

But I’ll keep it in mind — thanks

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor thing! Adding antibiotics to therapeutic levels of copper can be hazardous. Since you've got them separated, I'd wait and see, minimizing stress and keeping the water as clean as possible. Hopefully the goby is eating.

Have you had any adverse reactions with copper and a particular antibiotic?

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any adverse reactions with copper and a particular antibiotic?

By hazardous I mostly meant increased risk of killing off an already-stressed biofilter, and also increased degree of water oxygen depletion. Synergistic adverse reactions by fish to combining antibiotics with most other QT treatments are thankfully fairly rare.

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, Toby passed away over-night.

Very bummed out right now

My condolences, I feel the same any time a fish dies. :( That's partly why I don't name them much anymore, and I discourage my wife from doing so until they've been with us awhile...

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back