Nit Picking Salt Mix

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally opened my box of aquaforest reef salt. My normal process is to transfer the box to a bucket. As its just easier to transport and keep moisture out. Was pleasantly surprised they included a measuring cup. Has 2 markings one for 10L and one for 5L. Why do not more salt makers do this? While we all eventually find that approximate amount for the container we use, but why not include something measured for your salt specifically. No my measuring cup is technically 120 grams yours 140 grams. Why not get it just about the same for every reefer to start? We are sometimes spending upwards of $100 for a box, simple inexpensive things like a bag tie, a measuring cup, simple mixing instructions card for your salt; Would go along way. Especially for new reefers. How often does one read an emergency post of corals dying, and their Specific Gravity is 20% above NSW?
Could these issues be fewer if they had some cheap tools to help them mixing day one?

not going to call out any salt makers specifically only to say i have definitely purchased salt that the instructions were online only, no provided way to keep salt dry, cheap buckets that break easily, etc. i think many of you figured out the chemistry part and forgot about. product presentation. Ok end of rant lol.

Vinman

Brewing is worth it
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally opened my box of aquaforest reef salt. My normal process is to transfer the box to a bucket. As its just easier to transport and keep moisture out. Was pleasantly surprised they included a measuring cup. Has 2 markings one for 10L and one for 5L. Why do not more salt makers do this? While we all eventually find that approximate amount for the container we use, but why not include something measured for your salt specifically. No my measuring cup is technically 120 grams yours 140 grams. Why not get it just about the same for every reefer to start? We are sometimes spending upwards of $100 for a box, simple inexpensive things like a bag tie, a measuring cup, simple mixing instructions card for your salt; Would go along way. Especially for new reefers. How often does one read an emergency post of corals dying, and their Specific Gravity is 20% above NSW?
Could these issues be fewer if they had some cheap tools to help them mixing day one?

not going to call out any salt makers specifically only to say i have definitely purchased salt that the instructions were online only, no provided way to keep salt dry, cheap buckets that break easily, etc. i think many of you figured out the chemistry part and forgot about. product presentation. Ok end of rant lol.
I've been using aquaforest for years so I guess I've been taking all that for granted but I love salt mix and my tank loves it too

OP
OP
Gareth elliott

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using aquaforest for years so I guess I've been taking all that for granted but I love salt mix and my tank loves it too
I am far from exclusive on my salt choices lol. Think ive used at least 7 different brands in just the last 5 years. Been using LA for the last year or 2. No major complaints, its a tad dustier than some ive used? But they kept increasing their price. Bought the AF because was cheaper and almost exactly the alk i keep my tank. And saltwatersquariums.com carries it meaning i get fast shipping where i live. I do use some AF test kits and some of their feed additives. So had some experience with the brand in general. But having used so many salts surprised more just dont include a measuring cup? Just charge me a dollar more lol. And easy instructions on a card would be nice unless anyone enjoys getting on the floor to read a box lol. DD salt includes this confusing ion balancing sheet that has no use to anyone, i think they add it to say “we can math!”

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 83 42.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.6%
Back