Nitrate or Phosphate?

garethwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm.... um thats not really an answerable question, you need both but it depends on a few factors, the fact that you have neither would suggest your tank isnt setup yet? in which case ide probbably say nitrate nitrite and ammonia first as these are vital to track your cycle..
put some more info up and youll get more responses and maybe some usefull advice : )

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should I get a good nitrate test kit or a good phosphate test kit first? I would like to get both but I can only get one for right now.
I would get the good phosphate test kit. Since PO4 is normally kept much lower than NO3 I find the PO4 test kits accuracy more important.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I've had it up for 8 years almost and I've used the api test for all of those years and but ive been looking for a lot more accurate test because I'm doing sps and I have nitrates at 0 from the api test

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save your money. If you have algae growth by po4 remover.

creas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha I've had it up for 8 years almost and I've used the api test for all of those years and but ive been looking for a lot more accurate test because I'm doing sps and I have nitrates at 0 from the api test
If you're getting 0 on the API test there is a chance you aren't testing correctly. I apologize if you know this already but if you don't shake bottle# 2 of the API test, and mean SHAKE it, it will read 0. I would shake it for a minute before starting the test and then again before you add the 10 drops. However, for a more accurate and easier to read test I would go with the ELOS Nitrate kit.

OP
OP
cwb_reeftank

cwb_reeftank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have test for all,calcium,magnesium,potassium, nitrate,phosphate. But I want something better than the API for nitrate and phosphate because I have the Hanna for alk and the other three are salifert test kits. The reason the API test kit is coming up as 0 is because I dose no-pox or whatever it's I'm not home right now so I can't remember haha

Back