Nitrates too LOW??

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few days ago I made a post about how I cannot grow Green Star Polyps at all in my LPS dominant tank. My nitrates always have shown 0 on my Red Sea kit but when Hanna recently came out with their Nitrates LR checker I bought one and now I have a number to go with my nitrates. My nitrates are sitting at 0.7 I did three back to back to back tests and they all tested there.

Here are my parameters with updated nitrates:

Temp: 79.5
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.5
Amonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.7
Alkalinity: 8.7 dKh
Calcium: 320
Magnesium: 1650

I really would love to have some GSP on my back wall and on my overflows. Do you think I should start dosing nitrates and phosphates, too? I see FishOfHex has both NO3 & PO4 for dosing and have seen good results. I think I would rather keep my nitrates and phosphates at 0 with my current setup and dose them rather than start over-feeding or change my filtration setup.

Thoughts?

and thanks so much for your help

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing You should do is to dose up the calcium. It shall be at least 400. Do it in small steps 2 times a day.
I would add about 20 mg/l the first doses but go down to 10 mg/l when You are closer to the target.
Nitrate 0,7 is probably good. Dont dose Phosphate before You know the value.
How do You measure the pH?

OP
OP
Joshua Jordan

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing You should do is to dose up the calcium. It shall be at least 400. Do it in small steps 2 times a day.
I would add about 20 mg/l the first doses but go down to 10 mg/l when You are closer to the target.
Nitrate 0,7 is probably good. Dont dose Phosphate before You know the value.
How do You measure the pH?
I use an electronic device that is calibrated using the powdered solutions

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the pH electrode get worn they often react slow when You are measuring a new solution. If You measure first tap water and then the tank water it should show the final value in less than 5 seconds.
I have a friend that crashed his tank because of a defect pH electrode. (It was showing low so he added a lot of sodium carbonate until the tank crashed.)
Its important to add some calcium now. The tank can crash any day if You dont do it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back