Nitrite Spike

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will moving reef rocks cause a nitrite spike? My tank cycled quickly using nutriseawater, life rock, API Quickstart, a pinch of flaked food and Coralife Marine Pure. I have chemipure blue and Marine Pure ball in the back. I went through the initial ammonia spike, nitrate. Then everything looked good for a month. Doing 4 gal water changes in a biocube RO and Instant Sea salt. I have had a CUC and two 1" clowns. monitoring everything everyday till a couple days ago I moved a reef rock higher up and now the nitrites are high but everything else looks OK except Alk is a bit low? would a single reef rock change cause a spike? no ammonia, low nitrates.
iron =0
copper =0
nitrate =20 strip
API nitrate = 0
nitrite strip =100
API nitrite =2.0 ppm
hardness =300
API Ca= 440
free chlorine =0.5 ? (RO water)
Alk =80
Carb =120
API KH= 143
pH=(between 7.8-8.4 on strip)
PO4 = 0

I just did a 4 gallon water change and when it runs a bit I will check it again. Should I be concerned with the nitrite or only if the ammonia spikes?

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO I would not trust anything a strip test tells me. And doing almost anything including closing a window will affect things in a small tank. I would only be concerned about ammonia at this point.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will moving reef rocks cause a nitrite spike? My tank cycled quickly using nutriseawater, life rock, API Quickstart, a pinch of flaked food and Coralife Marine Pure. I have chemipure blue and Marine Pure ball in the back. I went through the initial ammonia spike, nitrate. Then everything looked good for a month. Doing 4 gal water changes in a biocube RO and Instant Sea salt. I have had a CUC and two 1" clowns. monitoring everything everyday till a couple days ago I moved a reef rock higher up and now the nitrites are high but everything else looks OK except Alk is a bit low? would a single reef rock change cause a spike? no ammonia, low nitrates.
iron =0
copper =0
nitrate =20 strip
API nitrate = 0
nitrite strip =100
API nitrite =2.0 ppm
hardness =300
API Ca= 440
free chlorine =0.5 ? (RO water)
Alk =80
Carb =120
API KH= 143
pH=(between 7.8-8.4 on strip)
PO4 = 0

I just did a 4 gallon water change and when it runs a bit I will check it again. Should I be concerned with the nitrite or only if the ammonia spikes?
IMO I would not trust anything a strip test tells me. And doing almost anything including closing a window will affect things in a small tank. I would only be concerned about ammonia at this point.
Sorry, it’s 32 biocube. I did remove the skimmer too. Though I don’t think that would do nitrite removal. I only use the strips to supplement to API. My goal was to use the strips everyday and the API every couple if it provides similar reading. But I use the pH from that strip.

Propane

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your fish are happy then you should be as well. You could do alot of fiddling at this point but DO NOT fiddle lol. Monitor ammonia and leave things be. If I’m wrong someone with more experience will save you from me at this point lol. I would do nothing but feed appropriately and enjoy the process.

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So then close eyes on nitrite levels unless ammonia shows? I have read the reefs don’t matter much with nitrite but it seemed too far out. But the clowns seem good and happy. Eating well but I think they always want more but I refrain.

JPM San Diego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK to ignore nitrite in a Salt Water aquarium (not in freshwater)
I am old school and used to worry about ammonia and nitrite. I made the mistake of commenting on nitrite only to be corrected. I learned from someone here that the high chloride contect of seawater negates the deleterious effects of nitrite. I am sure if you search R2R you'll find similar comments.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What i found amazing after being informed by the chemists was the stark flip flop relationship of ammonia+ nitrite between reefing and freshwater aquaria

Reefing=free form ammonia is deadly and nitrite isn't a concern

Freshwater tanks= ammonia gets low priority and nitrite is the killer. Fascinating what salts and pH does

arnavfactoryfishtanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there,

Moving rocks can indeed disrupt the nitrogen cycle in your tank. The rock houses beneficial bacteria that help manage the nitrogen cycle. Disturbing them can lead to a nitrite spike.

Test strips can sometimes be off, so cross-checking with a liquid test kit might be a good idea. As for your alkalinity, you might need a buffer to raise it.

Thinking about adding a sensitive coral as a tank health indicator? It's a cool idea, but remember, corals can be quite sensitive. Make sure your water parameters are stable first.

Keep up with regular water changes and consider a bacterial supplement to boost beneficial bacteria. And of course, keep an eye on your fish for any signs of stress.

Here's a great article on nitrite toxicity in fish and a study on how micro-algae can help manage nitrite levels.

Remember, every tank is unique. Keep learning and adapting. Happy fishkeeping!

OP
OP
BubblesandSqueak

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had done 2 things. Moved the rock higher for better coral placement in the future and better flow but also removed the coralife skimmer. It was constantly producing too much foam but not much skim was in there. Was either nothing or a foam cannon. LFS said I really don’t need one as long as I don’t over feed. This is the rock set up I altered. Trying to figure out what corals I will eventually place and colors. Any ideas? I’m not even sure the wave generator is in the right spot. It’s a hygger 951 on lowest setting with wave during day and nutritional rest of the time. Aimed up and towards the return which is also up. Before power head was on left side and altering too much sand. New to this so all advice is welcome.

CUC is blood and skunk cleaner, 3 Trochus, 2 Astrae, 1 blue and 2 red hermits. I did dose a bottle of pods. Bodies are 2 Orange storms.

I’ve been dosing slowly Fluval sea Alk.

The initial cycle I had bought nutri-seawater but 6 jugs were really high SG. 1.028. I bought for the live water but wow. All changes are instant ocean with RO.

Attachments

• 1BCED736-841C-4226-89FA-563DB7421FA9.jpeg
    1BCED736-841C-4226-89FA-563DB7421FA9.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 428FFEF8-DFFA-4BC5-A4E8-00E530E9FF19.jpeg
    428FFEF8-DFFA-4BC5-A4E8-00E530E9FF19.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 18
  • 4FB3E9A2-EB1E-4168-A795-B483938B36FD.jpeg
    4FB3E9A2-EB1E-4168-A795-B483938B36FD.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 18

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back