Nitrite testing through the roof

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I’m 22 days through my cycle currently, and am experiencing ridiculously high nitrites, so high my Red Sea kit can’t read them properly. I seeded with Dr Tim's one and only, and am testing with all Red Sea test kits. My ammonia has started to drop, nitrites have soared, and nitrate is looking maxed at 50ppm. Is it a worry my nitrites are so high they can't be read, or should I just keep waiting it out?

Attached is a spreadsheet of my tracked parameters and notes for what has been occurring day to day.
1642813551694.png
the roof

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, maybe verify the readings with another test kit and/or your LFS.
If they check out, then go to Dr. Tim's website, and check out number 8:

mikeytrw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is almost exactly the situation I'm in, in another thread the advice was to do a massive water change and add fish. Only difference is I've added ammonia again a couple times and it's gone back down both times showing that there is bacteria in the tank and they're consuming ammonia.

Also, on the nitrate reading, I read on here that nitrate tests are thrown off if there is any nitrite in the water by an order of magnitude because the testing process for nitrate first converts the nitrate for nitrite then the reagent shows colour level. In Red Sea tests that's the part B 60 second stage.

See page 30 for my post.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...ingly-stuck-cycle.742202/page-30#post-9820107

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be okay just wait

Only difference is I've added ammonia again a couple times and it's gone back down both times
Really no reason to do this

As said above the nitrate test is useless at this stage. As long as nitrite is detectable your nitrate will be pinker than 2000s fashion

There is really not anything you can do to make this process happen faster or slower and there's practically no way to mess it up. It will happen. If there is any ammonia in any body of water all the surfaces in that body of water will become cycled.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yanni this was already covered

why the second post on it

if anyone gives nitrite advice opposite of that link, you know they’re making stuff up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yanni this was already covered

why the second post on it

if anyone gives nitrite advice opposite of that link, you know they’re making stuff up.

Accidentally posted it there, but the page crashed and I realised snd it was the wrong page, so I didn’t think to check if it actually did post.

So then posted here, didn’t realise it was still on the other page.

Back