Nitrites and Nitrates way too high during cycle?

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I finally set up my 180L (47.5 G) DT a few days before my clownfish finished their QT (30days of cuppramine and 1 week of Prazi. They didn't have anything but I did it just as a preventative measure) and once I put my water, dry rock, sand and filter running, I added a bottle of Fritz turbo start 900 and going against the directions, I added a few drops (based on my tank size) of pure ammonia that I ordered from a local pharmacist) I did this because I didn't want to stress the fish by adding them to a not cycled tank.
I have to say that it has now been 6 days since I added the live bacteria and ammonia, and I am already getting 0 ammonia after 24 hours of adding 12 drops of ammonia each day.
However, Nitrite is reading 1ppm and Nitrate 25ppm.
I know that high nitrite and nitrate can stall a cycle but I couldn't find what is considered "high" during a cycle.
I also would like to note that the water after the 3rd day became slightly cloudy due to a bacteria bloom and hasn't cleared nor has gotten worse since.
I don't want to perform a water change as I believe it will remove the majority of the floating bacteria.
I believe the cycle is going great but I just wanted a second opinion.
Thank you all in advance! :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate is likely far lower since 1 ppm nitrite can read falsely as 100 ppm nitrate.

1 ppm nitrite is not a concern. It is not toxic, unlike in a freshwater aquarium.

OP
OP
P

Psari

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrate is likely far lower since 1 ppm nitrite can read falsely as 100 ppm nitrate.

1 ppm nitrite is not a concern. It is not toxic, unlike in a freshwater aquarium.
Oh I didn't know that! In that case, should I keep adding ammonia everyday like I do and wait until the water clears out from the bacterial bloom so that I can add the fish?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing it so that I keep feeding the bacteria, but If I have to stop in order for the nitrites and nitrates to settle then okay

You do not need nitrite to decline, and adding more ammonia won't speed that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. But because I am a bit confused, should I just wait until the bacteria bloom settles and clears out, and then add the fish from my QT?

You mean cloudy water?

Do the bacteria have a place to settle out?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indeed, the water is slightly cloudy and there is plenty of sand and dry rock for the bacteria to settle as well as Matrix biomedia inside the filter

What fish are you intending to add initially?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish that just finished their copper treatment and are ready to be added to my DT as the first fish

I'd wait a couple of days them put them in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back