NLS exclusively!?

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love both NLS and TDO as pellet food. I have used NLS for probably 5 years. Currently I feed these pellets and frozen throughout the day.

Recently I have considered converting to only NLS. Anyone do this? They consider it a complete diet for all fish. I am attracted to the simplicity and “wholeness” of the idea. I need more info though. The two pieces of info that advocate such an idea both originate from Pablo Tepoot (NLS).

So please everyone let me know what you think! The more concrete the info is the better! Thanks!

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets are the absolute best food to feed as they actually do give a complete, balanced and varied diet. I would feed pellets exclusively if I could but not all my fish eat them.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. I have one fish that won’t touch any pellets that I have tried I also have one that will only eat TDO pellets but not NLS. Wonders if they get hungry enough would they do it?

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing devil’s advocate.... pellets provide a varied diet but what about fish with specific wild diets....like sponge for angels and butterflies, coral for parrots and urchins for triggers? Are there analogous proteins in the pellets that compare with those special foods?
Pellets are the absolute best food to feed as they actually do give a complete, balanced and varied diet. I would feed pellets exclusively if I could but not all my fish eat them.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay first off, I need to know more about the system in that video. Is this yours? How many Idols are in there? I can't believe we just glossed over this haha. Also, I rarely feed pellets, I almost always feed a mix of frozen foods. I'll also play devils advocate and say that there are many other ways to reach a complete and varied diet without pellets. There are no dry pellet foods in the ocean, after all.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing devil’s advocate.... pellets provide a varied diet but what about fish with specific wild diets....like sponge for angels and butterflies, coral for parrots and urchins for triggers? Are there analogous proteins in the pellets that compare with those special foods?
I think its very species dependent rather than family dependent. Feeding a variety of frozen, dry and livefoods which can work for those fish will work best.
Most butterflies are omnivorous, and will eat worms and other benthic invertebrates along with corals in the wild, while some my be obligatory corallivorous, while most others are facultive coralliovores or dont include it in their diet much or at all so will most likely enjoy a varied diet of different food types, as will pretty much all fish, ive found my multibar angelfish goes off food if i feed too much of the same thing, until he gets hungry again lol.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that system is Pablo Tepoot’s . It is a 400 gallon with 25 Idols, Achilles and a long horn cow or two. He feeds exclusively TheraA by NLS to that tank.

the link below is new tank. Up since March.

Okay first off, I need to know more about the system in that video. Is this yours? How many Idols are in there? I can't believe we just glossed over this haha. Also, I rarely feed pellets, I almost always feed a mix of frozen foods. I'll also play devils advocate and say that there are many other ways to reach a complete and varied diet without pellets. There are no dry pellet foods in the ocean, after all.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well our fish are not in the ocean either.

My pbt, niger trigger,fox face, Regal all eat pellets.
The the Cbb, anthias, blenny, clowns and mandarin don’t. Though sometimes the clowns will.
Do you think there are frozen dead brine and mysis just floating around a reef in the ocean? No.

we don’t even know what exactly what live foods our fish eat as there isn’t brine and mysis at every reef/country/ocean Where our fish are collected.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well our fish are not in the ocean either.

My pbt, niger trigger,fox face, Regal all eat pellets.
The the Cbb, anthias, blenny, clowns and mandarin don’t. Though sometimes the clowns will.
Do you think there are frozen dead brine and mysis just floating around a reef in the ocean? No.

we don’t even know what exactly what live foods our fish eat as there isn’t brine and mysis at every reef/country/ocean Where our fish are collected.

No need to get amped up, I said I was playing devils advocate. Dry foods are perfectly acceptable, and obviously NLS is a great food, I've used a large amount of it. We do know roughly what a lot of species eat in the wild, but in captivity there are a lot of options and once acclimated many of those options are good.

OP
OP
Feet4Fish

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this question.....could all species of fish thrive and actually do better on a “complete” pellet food if indeed they all would eat it??

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me ask this question.....could all species of fish thrive and actually do better on a “complete” pellet food if indeed they all would eat it??

Without a doubt. I've never had a copperband or an idol. I however have raised about everything else on it. I think that sponge deal is nonsense.

Frozen food is mostly moisture at a premium price. Most of it also jack's my water quality up if I dont strain it. This is one area where I think sw is behind the times compared to fw.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back