No more LRS?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or hit up your local grocery…get a mix of clams, mussels, scallops, shrimp and cod, blender it and you got months worth of food at a fraction of the cost.
I would add fish eggs as well. For shrimp you want the whole with shell and not devained.
Freeze dried myssis and plankton helps suck up the extra moisture
My family finds the smell of LRS putrid. I can’t imagine blending it in the house (I luckily don’t have a working sense of smell, haha).
It's not nearly as bad as throwing a dead snail in microwave to remover from the shell.

Drove the family out of the house.
But I bet the cat loves it ;)
Yes they do.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a margarita and I could still taste the clams. I'm just going to have to change the recipe next time and double the Tequilla to solve that problem.

Water Spit GIF

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My family finds the smell of LRS putrid. I can’t imagine blending it in the house (I luckily don’t have a working sense of smell, haha).
LRS smells horrible but fish don’t waste a tidbit of it
I just bought 2 packs by me 2 weeks ago

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm with JGT..........Rods and Larry's frozen are a rip off.

Get a $30 food processor and you're in business. I doubt it takes me more than 10 minutes to make a flat pack.

Frozen shrimp, salmon, and scallops are cheap and then I add some clams and mussels. If you want something for the tangs, nori at any grocery is cheap as well. You can mix in other things if you want but these are the least expensive.

Last edited:

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add fish eggs as well. For shrimp you want the whole with shell and not devained.
Freeze dried myssis and plankton helps suck up the extra moisture
The shell too??!! Can fish digest shrimp shells?

Frozen shrimp, salmon, and scallops are cheap and then I add some clams and mussels. If you want something for the tangs, nori at any grocery is cheap as well. You can mix in other things if you want but these are the least expensive.
I asked once at a local market if they would save the heads and guts of the fish they get. They gave me a funny look! I said it’s for my reef and I would pay. They still told me no!

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. LRS is alive and well, but we have had to scale nearly 200% to meet demand since the pandemic started. More people at home have entered the aquarium hobby than ever before. I apologize to anyone having trouble finding LRS locally but I promise you were producing and shipping as fast as we can. We are telling stores to order at least a week before their freezers are empty because we can not longer accommodate same day ordering and shipping. This photo is what every Monday has looked like at LRS for nearly 3 years. We have over 480 retailers in nine countries listed on our dealer map. Thanks everyone for the support.

Shipping  Pile Monday.jpg

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. LRS is alive and well, but we have had to scale nearly 200% to meet demand since the pandemic started. More people at home have entered the aquarium hobby than ever before. I apologize to anyone having trouble finding LRS locally but I promise you were producing and shipping as fast as we can. We are telling stores to order at least a week before their freezers are empty because we can not longer accommodate same day ordering and shipping. This photo is what every Monday has looked like at LRS for nearly 3 years. We have over 480 retailers in nine countries listed on our dealer map. Thanks everyone for the support.

Shipping  Pile Monday.jpg
An chance I can buy your food in Europe?

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Get a $30 food processor and you're in business. I doubt it takes me more than 10 minutes to make a flat pack.

You sold me on making it myself.

I will cancel the online order I made. :)

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blend in the garage. Open garage door when doing so. I may go the route of diy’ing some food myself. Only complaint my wife might have is me using the blender….not worried.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Salmon and scallops are not cheap.

"Yes can i have 3 shrimp, 2 scallops and a 1/4 pound of salmon please." :face-with-tears-of-joy:
I buy these in the Aldi freezer section.

Shrimp- 12oz- $6
Scallops- 16 oz- $8
Salmon- 16 oz- $6.25- I would only put in one filet in one flat pack I make

Larrys fish frenzy- $21 for 8oz Plus you have to pay shipping of $30 and buy a lot of packs to making shipping worthwhile. Price an 8oz pack at your LFS and it's not going to be any better.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy these in the Aldi freezer section.

Shrimp- 12oz- $6
Scallops- 16 oz- $8
Salmon- 16 oz- $6.25- I would only put in one filet in one flat pack I make

Larrys fish frenzy- $21 for 8oz Plus you have to pay shipping of $30 and buy a lot of packs to making shipping worthwhile. Price an 8oz pack at your LFS and it's not going to be any better.
OK that makes a bit more sense.

sorry the ice pirates GIF by Warner Archive

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The fresh clams are expensive but you can also get around that as some stores will have a medely of frozen clams & other shellfish in a one pound bag.

I only use flake and pellets occasionally as I don't want to be feeding my fish processed garbage with wheat filler and other chemicals they probably aren't going to be able to assimilate.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fresh clams are expensive but you can also get around that as some stores will have a medely of frozen clams & other shellfish in a one pound bag.

I only use flake and pellets occasionally as I don't want to be feeding my fish processed garbage with wheat filler and other chemicals they probably aren't going to be able to assimilate.
This is so conflicting as you hear people like Jake Adams talk about feeding fish exclusively flakes. I feed everything to my fish.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rip off, no. Premium food. Family business. Fresh. Probiotics.

Can we, the hobbyist, make similar food? Of course. Hit up the local grocery store and pick up various marine offerings of sea food and one is off to a good start. Takes some planning and preparation but possible. Just comes down to personal preference and time.

A rip off would be paying a couple hundred dollars for a 1/4" coral frag with a fabricated name or $1200 for a single head of some LPS torch. Food though in this case you get what you pay for.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

I agree with own recipe
In my case I cant as I am allergic to seafood

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shell too??!! Can fish digest shrimp shells?

I asked once at a local market if they would save the heads and guts of the fish they get. They gave me a funny look! I said it’s for my reef and I would pay. They still told me no!
No pull the shells. But I like the whole shrimp that way I know it hasn't been processed to much. Usually if the shell had been removed the vain has been removed to.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rip off, no. Premium food. Family business. Fresh. Probiotics.

Can we, the hobbyist, make similar food? Of course. Hit up the local grocery store and pick up various marine offerings of sea food and one is off to a good start. Takes some planning and preparation but possible. Just comes down to personal preference and time.

A rip off would be paying a couple hundred dollars for a 1/4" coral frag with a fabricated name or $1200 for a single head of some LPS torch. Food though in this case you get what you pay for.
If you can find a fish market you will have better quality. Less process and freezing.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend roughly 55 bucks on food and it lasts me 6 month 2 tanks. Made food on the 22nd of May. I'll have to make more In January.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 51.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • None.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back