No pico reef sub-forum?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering, is there a reason why there is no member pico aquarium sub-forum?

Currently all the picos are in the nano forum, but picos and nanos are very different from each other. Whenever I want to look at something specific for a nano or a pico, I have to sift through all the threads.

So I am curious. Any reason we never had the split, or merged them into one?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question... In my ignorance, I thought pico and nano reefs were the same thing! Now I know there's a difference, lol. Maybe a #MODS can help further.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres such a small diffrence between nano and pico. Whats the borderline? 2 gals? Cmon. Lol
D
@NeonRabbit221B hit it on the head.

Different setup, different goals. The choice of fish available for a pico is severely, severely limited, same with equipment. The management of corals too becomes important considering how much space in a pico corals can cover. And so on.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to consider any reef that can be picked up fully running and hoisted over the head by an average person who does not do crossfit to be a pico. so about 2 gallons max

5 gallons+ is a pico only if you're in crossfit
AE21C7CE-B09B-44DE-80ED-D7643B1D3544.jpeg

a three year old on apple juice roids can overhead press my sps reef eight times

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the lift above your head definition! Here is my definition and most picos will meet most of the following criteria:

- 2.5g or less tank volume
- Coral and invert focus (can't think of a fish that lives conformably in this size)
- Large WC instead of dosing/testing or ICP focused
- Use air pumps, magnetic stirring or very small powerheads for flow
- Generally lacks dedicated mechanical filtration or sumps (though PJ reefs has some cool ideas)

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a xs aqueon internal filter. Betta 2g tank. And small nano like 5g heater. Its flat and black. I was thinking i could try and drill and install a nano overflow to a small sump so i can add a skimmer...
Lights are 2 ecoexotic par38s. I havent made the light stand cuz idk where im gonna put it. Lol.
D

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I’ve gathered in my short 3 year reefing career lol is that a nano is anything <30 gallons…pico 5 or less…and micro <2. I’m not sure about the validity of these numbers, just what I’ve read through forums/talking with hobbyists.

I couldn’t figure out which size I liked most so I went with all 3. ;)

E537452F-98B4-4B47-BD50-3F4A91E5773E.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand care in a pico is however you prefer

maritza on youtube doesn’t clean their sand, I keep mine meticulous clean we r free to do any way that works. A deep cleaning takes one hour at best so any condition can be re aimed and changed any time we want compared to a 200 gal setup

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back