no sand? live sand? dry sand ?

Ryeguy1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im ready to start putting water in the new tank im just up in the air about the substrat I really like black said im just having trouble findind live black sand so what do I do no sand live sand or no sand a little help

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A general rule on sand is no sand, 1/2" of sand, or over 3" of sand, preferably 6". I have tanks with all of the above and IME the tank with the deep sand bed is always the cleanest and healthiest one. Sand in the 2 - 3" range will cause problems.

OP
OP
R

Ryeguy1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im on the 3rd month of getting this tank right before I start it and I really like the look with black sand so I think im going to go with a shallow sand bed of dry sand idk

CountrySideCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sand levels vary in my show tank. Some spots are 1" some are 4" just depends on my flow and what my sandsifting starfish and female clown does as she likes to kick up sand when she is mad. As far as live sand I am not a fan. I have always started with dry sand.

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both. main tank has sand, plenty of wrasses especially leopards love it (need it). frag tank has no sand, very easy to keep clean.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like a shallow sand bed with some Tropic Eden sand. :)

tazguy25

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Like Beach sand although I will pay for it in the end I'm sure. So afar only Tag alongs have been Mussels & Sand Fleas in the Quarantine that I Have them in. If I don't find anything else (2 months so far) I'm going to start incorporating it into the main system.... On a Side note The baby sand fleas were a hit with the Fish!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back