Noah’s lasse method 20 long

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, it’s time to start the BT. Here’s what I have so far: I still need to paint the stand and stuff but in about a week and a half I’m getting ro salt heater and a current orbit. I’m going to use multiple types of live rock like the lasse method mentions and I am going to cycle it like how he does and I will organically control the nasties. The thread isn’t going to be real time because mostly, I am going to enjoy it for myself and I want to be in the moment, not focused on internet while I build it. I’m going on hiatus for the summer so yeah. I hope you are all excited to watch my tank grow and evolve.
2E754A05-A171-4EC2-9AC9-6A6A93673D1A.jpeg
image.jpg

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want that look you need to use multiple 2x4 laid across the base that are the length of the tank, you also need to make sure its even so using a thin piece of ply is recommended. As you have it now it will break, no corner support, all that's holding up the end pieces are a few screws. A filled tank can weigh 200 plus pounds.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it holds that weight now, there is no telling if it will hold a year from now as constant weight over time can shift things. The end boards are not supported in any way and can stress the tank and lead to potential leaks. I agree the top part should be re-done.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi noah first of all,great work on starting to build stand for your tank.often when we get started on anything in life,the rest falls in place as we go,but having a well laid plan,research is grrat to have and modify of needed as we go.
Anyway your stand them extra bits on top you just added on after im guessing,if had extra sticking out at bottom you could run some wood vertical from bottom to top like in my screenshot below, but because the base of the stand is the most important ( where the tank actually sits on) its more important than not having the tank level ( ovbiously needs to be as well levelled as we can achieve,otherwise side panels of glass can twist and shift creating a leak or worse still a crack/rupture)
It looks like the top pieces of wood you used are not all totally flat with each other and put a tank on this and will cause stress points ( basically parts of the wood sticking up higher on some parts and most the weight on that part with downward force and all that weight of water as 1 litre water = 1kg in weight.my qt tank is 54 litres and 15 us gallons and weight of water 54 kg then weight of tank and salt water weighs slightly more so your 20 us gallons roughly about 72 kg just the water alone.and remember one piece of wood providing it true and straight is just straighter than several pieces of wood screwed or glued together etc.
Me personally i would be removing them outer 4 pieces of wood at top and adding some longer pieces so didnt have them bits wood that looks like are sagging over as i would be worried about the stress points and creating problems.and adding some vertical pieces of wood from bottom- top of stand in all 4 outer edge corners as in screenshot.
Unless all the top of stand is true and straight using spirit levels and no pieces of wood protude higher than another piece and maybe the width of your tank from left to right only goes along that clean bit of wood at front of top of stand and will not sit on them 2 edge bits that looks like they sagging down.but my end stand would need to have perfect flat base/ be level best i could and be able to hold the weight .
But one thing im pretty certain on,you have done a better job than i would of done when im 14 years old so good luck buddy ^_^

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210525-205414_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20210525-205414_Photo Editor.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 57

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshots_2021-05-25-16-34-22.png
Would suck to tear it all up. Could he brace the outside edge on the bottom with 2x4s? I built a farmhouse table before and that sort of the style im seeing here. Unfortunate that the legs of the frame are more inside rather than out...

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshots_2021-05-25-16-34-22.png
Would suck to tear it all up. Could he brace the outside edge on the bottom with 2x4s? I built a farmhouse table before and that sort of the style im seeing here. Unfortunate that the legs of the frame are more inside rather than out...
The problem is that only the center is really supported. Ying yang is right that he needs to add vertical suppoorts to the ends front and back. Otherwise this tank will fail over time.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is that only the center is really supported. Ying yang is right that he needs to add vertical suppoorts to the ends front and back. Otherwise this tank will fail over time.
Yeah that's what I figured, shouldn't be to much of a hassle getting them on there though.

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just making sure bc im getting into woodworking:
The entire weight of the tank will be dependent on those screws holding up the 2x4s on the width

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOAH! LOL
right on..good job. A build thread..like i said..cant wait.to see. Lol.
You build that in shop.class? Tell ur teacher the online reefing community has concerns with the stand being.completly.braced.at.the top.where the tank sits. The overhanging.wood.
D

Joshcom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your stand is close to working, but it can be a challenge for a while, I've designed a stand which should be able to use all the wood you currently have, it also keeps the look you have.
Also skinning the whole stand in plywood will increase strength while increasing appeal.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i fixed it and i did tank its 1 week old now i used some encrusted dead oyster shells with chaeto barnacle and sea lettuce and other things. all the collecting i did in florida most of it died in the car. i have mangroves and turtle grass too. i got some encrusted cool shells and some wild caught dry rock to beef up my scape. the algae on my rocks is taking off. i also found a tiny gorg or kenya tree that i hope survives but im having very low expectations for it. i went to my lfs and got a gsp colony the size of my fist, a blenny, idk exact species but i will get a pic later. i got 3 hermits and 3 snails (scarlet, blue, black hermits) and (turbo, tecta, cerith snails) i also got a peppermint shrimp that my mom says is evil aha. the blenny got ich but i cured it with a fw dip and some nitrofurazone in a 2nd dip. i am on my grandma's laptop temporarily then im prob gonna have to go agian on like wednesday because my grandma will be leaving. my pc died while i was gone and i decided to just buy my reef tank (probably an irrational thing to do XD)

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did, i spent like 50$ on stuff to keep them living and a liscence. also i did it on private property. i also helped get rid of some invasive black sun coral (i think) and i have a couple polyps in my tank. i found some cool nems that died and i found a clam that killed basically everything when it died. my gsp has some kind of cool filter feeder and it has a tiny clam/oyster in it

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back