Noob build suggestions

Cichlidsguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Im a freshwater guy planning to start a saltwater system. About me, I’ve good experience in freshwater systems and currently have a 120gallon african cichlids tank, a 75 gallon flowerhorn tank and a 40 gallon cichlids tank. They’re two plus years old and going strong. I recently purchased a new house and planning to go big on saltwater setup. I saw a 400gallon tank with sump, pump, RODI system for sale on Craigslist and tempted to get that for my setup. I have space and plumbing nearby and planning to hire my LFS guy to setup so that shouldn’t be a problem.

I’m worried about the maintenance and how long will it take to understand saltwater jargons and get a grip on the hobby. Also, what would be the fishes and corals for beginner like me.

also, how much would it cost for lights, sump items other than pump, rocks, sand etc.

Thanks I’m ad

bpapo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use 10K as a number for cost depending on the level of support equipment used . You could work that number down with DYI and off brands but with a 400 Gallons you want reliable and as much ease of maintenance as possible. I spend an average of 1-2 hours a day with 120 gallon

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your first saltwater tank I would hesitate to go that big. I’ve had both freshwater and reef and I probably wouldn’t recommend bigger than a 120.

Tiger Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, and welcome to the forum. It is a good sign you are asking, and you have good experience as a freshwater hobbyist which is great. I'm not overly concerned about the tank size, but I would urge you, beg you, actually, to spend some quality time reading up on the "saltwater jargons" and getting a grip on the hobby. Otherwise, you are going to lose money, and, more importantly, lose livestock.

I recommend reading all the stickies on the New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums forum, I have linked one below. I would also recommend going to the Bulk Reef Supply (BRS) website and watching the 52 Weeks of Reefing videos here: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/category/brs-tv/52-weeks-of-reefing

Good luck, keep asking questions!!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back