Noopsyche K7 Pro II Data

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'm really curious about, and I think would be very helpful here, is what the PAR/PUR numbers are for these lights when run at real world intensities. Dana your test was done a max intensity. However, a hobbyists will not be running at Max. Most are running a similar to AB+ with white and red/green at 25% with both blue and UV at 100%. Based on my Acro growth (or lack of), I'd say, running these at this program, which gives a nice visual spectrum, gives off barely enough PAR to support Acropora. What do you think?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most lights are measured at 100% on all channels. I have long argued that this is a poor way of proving a light's power.

However, given that most of the usable is the in violet/blue spectrum, I doubt there is much loss in usable PAR when you adjust the light to your liking. That is the thing most people miss. USABLE PAR.

My belief is there is plenty of usable PAR given off by these lights (and many fixtures) to grow acros well. Also, we need to take into consideration water turbidity, parameters and photo period.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I'm really curious about, and I think would be very helpful here, is what the PAR/PUR numbers are for these lights when run at real world intensities. Dana your test was done a max intensity. However, a hobbyists will not be running at Max. Most are running a similar to AB+ with white and red/green at 25% with both blue and UV at 100%. Based on my Acro growth (or lack of), I'd say, running these at this program, which gives a nice visual spectrum, gives off barely enough PAR to support Acropora. What do you think?
This is my tank par 48in x 24in x 16in back before I added coral with the following: (I am currently going to make changes so when I have time I will update)
IMG_20190314_144725.jpg

partank.jpg

My tank is really short so it is easy to light. I would like to see what people with deep tanks have their lights set to and the par.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Manose. The way you have your lights spaced, you've got the light from two overlapping each other, so like the left light and middle light, that reading of 341 on the top rock, is actually PAR from two lights. To the left of that reading in the pic only 1"-2" lower you've got 213, and that's mostly coming from one light. At that shallow of a depth, that PAR is too low IMO to get good color and growth from shallow water species of Acropora. 250 is probably the bare minimum and still that's just not enough to get decent growth. Based on this pic and my own results so far, I won't recommend or continue to use these @noopsyche fixtures. They are fine for softies/LPS/easy SPS, but not great for an Acro enthusiast looking for excellent color and growth compared to the alternatives.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Manose. The way you have your lights spaced, you've got the light from two overlapping each other, so like the left light and middle light, that reading of 341 on the top rock, is actually PAR from two lights. To the left of that reading in the pic only 1"-2" lower you've got 213, and that's mostly coming from one light. At that shallow of a depth, that PAR is too low IMO to get good color and growth from shallow water species of Acropora. 250 is probably the bare minimum and still that's just not enough to get decent growth. Based on this pic and my own results so far, I won't recommend or continue to use these @noopsyche fixtures. They are fine for softies/LPS/easy SPS, but not great for an Acro enthusiast looking for excellent color and growth compared to the alternatives.
That is why I am having a custom t5 fixture built for me. This way I can have the coverage I need and not invest anymore money.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question - I can test for PAR/PUR at the presets. Thinking I'll have the time Thursday to take a look.

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt your observations. When I was at the commercial coral farm back in the 90's, we grew some Acroporas in dim light and this species had a beautiful green and blue coloration. It also grew like a weed. Looking at my database, this Acro probably had a 'weedy' zoox clade, perhaps C3 (which is known to be highly adaptable to light fields.) I've got that PAR data in one of my old logbooks. I really need to find that data. Probably in a box we haven't unpacked yet.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Orphek is no joke. Amazing output but for the price, it should be.

I think they are the best looking light out there as far as the fixture too.
(6) V4 going on my New tank

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you forget about this Sir? I'm eager to see your results...If you don't intend on doing it, please let me know so I can move on...
Yes. I apologize for being so tardy. Sometimes life gets in the way of things. It's supposed to be 95 tomorrow - sounds like a good excuse to stay inside an air-conditioned lab! I'm way behind on testing two other lamps as well...

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you forget about this Sir? I'm eager to see your results...If you don't intend on doing it, please let me know so I can move on...
Here you go. The K7 Pro II has three pre-set light intensities that are adjusted by simply pressing a button - I'll call these 'low', 'medium' and 'high'. Of course the light's spectral quality can be adjusted to an almost infinite degree. Light intensity (PPFD) was measured with an Apogee Instruments MQ-510 with the improved sensor. This sensor was mounted to a jig that allowed precise positioning at increments of 1" depth in the 90-gallon tank dedicated to light testing. The LED array was approximately 6" off the water surface. Photosynthetically Usable Radiation was estimated by a Seneye multimeter. PUR averaged about 74% at all 3 intensities. The Seneye can measure color temperature up to about 12,000K and the CCT exceeded the meter's limit.
upload_2019-5-25_13-15-11.png

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this light compare more closely to the AI Prime or AI Hydra 26?

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this light compare more closely to the AI Prime or AI Hydra 26?
I wish I had an answer for you. I no longer have the beta AI light Chris Clough sent me years ago. Perhaps someone can chime in?

warlocktitan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Hydra TwentySix™ HD
6 - Cree XP-G2 Cool White (> 70 CRI)
6 - Cree XT-E Royal Blue
6 - Cree XP-E2 Blue
2 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Red
2 - Cree XP-E2 Green
2 - SemiLED 415nm
2 - SemiLED 400nm

Noopsyche K7 Pro II
6x Osram Cool White
6x Osram Royal Blue
6x Osram Blue
2x Osram Red
2x Osram Green
2x Semi LED 420nm
2x Semi LED 410nm

Noopsyche K7 Pro II use improve optics that yield better par with similar wattages.

Back