OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that interesting because I just pulled my K7 off a 20 long because cranked to max it doesn't have enough PAR for Acropora. Well, barely it does, but not at a good color. My Mars Aqua crushes my K7 in terms of PAR and color with the only advantage is the Noop has better shimmer. Mars aqua is also a lot cheaper.

The Noop is a cool light in concept but it had some glaring issues. The biggest problem is it doesn't have enough royal blue and too many white LEDs and too many cool blue LEDs (Windex looking blue vs deep blue).

So, to get enough intensity you have to crank the white and cool blue channels, which makes corals look really brown and green. Kind of like how cheap, knock off 14k halides used to look, or the first gen Kessils. Everything is kind of monochrome and brown. Corals don't care, and neither do fish, but if you like a lot of rich color in your tank you will hate the Noop at high intensities. Sad thing is they can fix this easily,
I had the K7s as close to the water as they could be and were at full intensity. What PAR numbers were you seeing? I'm reviewing a paper now that suggests PAR of 100 is OK for some Acros.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle

Got my 6 today! They’ll be replacing an 8 bulb ATI fixture... wish me luck.

C0LIARf.jpg

I’m a bit scared TBH- always been a bulb guy!

The reefer 350;
Du2nhzH.jpg
That's just awesome! I just ordered one today to put over my 20 gallon nano. I have a perfectly good AI Prime 16HD that I have ran for 7 weeks but I just felt like I could do better. Hoping the Noop doesn't disappoint. How are you liking yours so far?

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested this light on a 24 x 24 cube and was really surprised. If I were buying just for sps then a footprint of 18in x 18in would be my recommendation.
I just ordered one. I've got a 16x19 20 gallon nano. I think I'm going to be very happy. I am switching from the AI Prime 16HD to the Noop so hopefully it's not too primitive of a change in operation. Seems very basic but I was told it will grow and color corals way better than the Prime.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PAR numbers (PPFD) at various depths with K7 Pro II at maximum light intensity. Configuration of lamp support and aquarium overflow allows LED array to be a minimum of 6.5" from water surface. Horizontal adjustments to the lamp support allow the LED array to be centered over aquaria up to 24" wide, however, I did not realize this and the lamp was 5" off center. Depths were 17" deep (total of 23.5" to light), 13" (total of 19.5") and 8" (total of 14.5".) PAR measurements (every ~3.5") were made with an Apogee MQ-510 quantum meter with 'improved' sensor. Light was centered on the right side of a 120-gallon tank filled with water to the overflow level. PAR less than 100 micromole/m2/sec are colored black.
upload_2018-12-15_7-34-57.png

upload_2018-12-15_7-35-24.png

upload_2018-12-15_7-36-24.png
so being it was 5 off center would this effect the proper readings or would they change? Do you think 4 of these would cover a 120 gallon thats 4 ft by 24 front to back and 21 deep? The info says 90 degree lens so only covers 18 x 18, so if thats the case even five or 6 would cover the front o back being 24 would it. One of the guys on here said it would if it wasnt an sps the one of the others said no, so I am not sure what to think. Right now I will be using 2 for a 36 bowfront but planning to upgrade later

OP
OP
Dana Riddle

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so being it was 5 off center would this effect the proper readings or would they change? Do you think 4 of these would cover a 120 gallon thats 4 ft by 24 front to back and 21 deep? The info says 90 degree lens so only covers 18 x 18, so if thats the case even five or 6 would cover the front o back being 24 would it. One of the guys on here said it would if it wasnt an sps the one of the others said no, so I am not sure what to think. Right now I will be using 2 for a 36 bowfront but planning to upgrade later
I ran two Noops on a 120-gallon and yes I was growing Acropora species. I got these lights when they were introduced, so things might have changed, but I had to trim the aquarium's plastic rim to get the clamp to fit.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Hydra TwentySix™ HD
6 - Cree XP-G2 Cool White (> 70 CRI)
6 - Cree XT-E Royal Blue
6 - Cree XP-E2 Blue
2 - OSRAM OSLON Deep Red
2 - Cree XP-E2 Green
2 - SemiLED 415nm
2 - SemiLED 400nm

Noopsyche K7 Pro II
6x Osram Cool White
6x Osram Royal Blue
6x Osram Blue
2x Osram Red
2x Osram Green
2x Semi LED 420nm
2x Semi LED 410nm

Noopsyche K7 Pro II use improve optics that yield better par with similar wattages.
Is true uv below 400? I read that some where and that a uv bulb is only good for a year.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran two Noops on a 120-gallon and yes I was growing Acropora species. I got these lights when they were introduced, so things might have changed, but I had to trim the aquarium's plastic rim to get the clamp to fit.
Shocking! Was the 120 24 inches front to back and 48 wide? I was planning on 4. I was just thinking that no matter how many I had unless I turned then the oposite direction that it wouldnt work out, that really has been the main thing stopping me! Well, that and the radion xr15 and zetlight ufo 8300.

Are you familiar with the ufo? It has 11 colors. Has 3 blues uv, violet, amber 2 reds cyan, green, cool white. Only 4 channels so may be hard to get the right blend. I cant find much info other than you tubes being they discontinued it and now have a z8. The z8 has 7 channels and 8 colors , took away uv, cyan, amber maybe one of the reds. The type of lens changed too, they had something they called hybrid z chip quartz lens over dense matrix looking leds. Now its like everyone else with a diffused looking lens cover that looks plastic and not dense matrix. They claimed they made it more cost effective and lowered the price but I see both of them being offered at 299.oo with a real nice mount. One place had it for 225.00 but sold out. I dont think the z8 uses cree since they no longer mention it on the box, and their website says leds made by quality manufacturers. They no longer mention the 8300 on website. I was just wondering how you thought this might compare to noop or radion even!

I am going crazy trying to decide! LOL Dont think I would get the z8 though being dont know who the lens is made by, one of their lower wattage uses bridgelux so maybe that. Do you think I would be playing with fire being these colors are on 4 channels and not sure how to set all those colors. Amber really hasnt any benefit to coral growth does it? I am buying tiny frags since I am a newbie so want fast growth. I dont mind paying for radions.... all that much..lol if its worth it and going to give me better growth and color pop! My hubby want the ufo or the radions but I like the look of noops alot and aesthetics are just as important to me! My main 3 thing are growth , color pop and aesthetics! So tell me like it is! LOL. Which should I get? Help...going nuts!

well, scratch ufo! I just went to the youtube of ufo to verify the channels and colors and ufo channel A is white and blue channel B is blues channel C is red and amber and D is uv, violet, green, blue. I don t know if there are more color channels, but should be but this was all I could see on his phone but these color combos are wierd. If I dont like the amber which his phone called yellow I have to run it to run the red if there isnt another red like they say. I dont like green with uv and lavender and blue! So this model is proably out. Dont you think it would be hard to get a good color growth spectrum with these colors together? People usually run uv and lavender high but not green..Thats messed up! Wish they would have kept the lens though on the new z8 model, because I loved the special quartz lens with the dense matrix and now 7 different channels and combining green and red is fine. My luck they went and changed it and now the same lights the v8 went up 150 dollars beacuse they sold out last night! dang the luck! so is it worth more to get the radions? I always wanted them and hubby like them to. How is the color pop from noop compared to radion? I do know radion has great pop and spread! The new g 5's anyway but I wouldnt know whether to get blue or pro...errrr LOL

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the assessment but I think with better app to tweak each led then it will be much better than with controller atm.
not to many use warm white do they? Is there a good light that uses it? I read that whites at around 14 k is the best spectrum but most sre like 6,5 k. I watched a youtube and melves reef was saying that low k turns corals brown but grows fast and higher k was slower growth but better coloring. He said a lot of growers will use a low k to grow fast then use a higher k after they have sufficiently grown to color them up! He may have been speaking of metal halide though not sure. Not that many light have uv under 400. Isnt that a true uv and isnt uv important for florescence? Thats what brs says because I just watched a series on lighting. I want colors to pop without being to blue! I am sure thats what everyone want s though.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not to many use warm white do they? Is there a good light that uses it? I read that whites at around 14 k is the best spectrum but most sre like 6,5 k. I watched a youtube and melves reef was saying that low k turns corals brown but grows fast and higher k was slower growth but better coloring. He said a lot of growers will use a low k to grow fast then use a higher k after they have sufficiently grown to color them up! He may have been speaking of metal halide though not sure. Not that many light have uv under 400. Isnt that a true uv and isnt uv important for florescence? Thats what brs says because I just watched a series on lighting. I want colors to pop without being to blue! I am sure thats what everyone want s though.
I have my whites @ 10% at peak and Red/Green @ 3% at peak. 90-100% on Blue, Dark blue and UV. I believe UVA light spectrum is below 400nm. Ironically I just ordered an 8" Reef Brite UVA to supplement my Noopsyche. Really excited to see how it works. I will make sure to get some PAR readings before and after.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been repeatedly reading these forums and trying to make a decision... I love all the write ups on the Radion XR30 Pro, I've alse read about the Reef Breeders Photon 2, The Noopsyche sound great as do the Reefi extreme. I'm going kinda nuts here. LOL
The tank is a 180 with two support braces. I presently have three SB classic 16" black boxes which I purchased 5 years ago. There is no automation. A knob for Blue and a Knob for the white.
Just to be clear, the Radions sound and look awesome but I can't spend that kind of money on lights at this point. Anything else would be considered.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been repeatedly reading these forums and trying to make a decision... I love all the write ups on the Radion XR30 Pro, I've alse read about the Reef Breeders Photon 2, The Noopsyche sound great as do the Reefi extreme. I'm going kinda nuts here. LOL
The tank is a 180 with two support braces. I presently have three SB classic 16" black boxes which I purchased 5 years ago. There is no automation. A knob for Blue and a Knob for the white.
Just to be clear, the Radions sound and look awesome but I can't spend that kind of money on lights at this point. Anything else would be considered.
Because of the geometry of the led arrays I wouldn’t do reef breeders on that tank. I’d personally either do six noop units (two per section), 3 reef fi units, or 3 radions. Obviously the noops would cost about 1/3 the other choices

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then get the Noops. They're inexpensive and have great controlability. There's not a fancy app like the AI Prime's just a simple remote but once you get them set you really shouldn't have to Tinker with them anymore. Also you only need one controller for three lights so it would be substantially cheaper than the Radions. You will be pleased with the Noopsyches. I very skeptical he made the switch from an AI Prime and I am very happy I did. Much higher PAR ratings on the Noop over the Prime.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Lucky Duck, Appreciate the input. Went to WWC's Anniversary Sale today and got to talking to one of the managers. He recommended I go with three Radion XR 15 PRO or the Blue. If I needed to I could further upgrade by adding additional XR15's as needed. It was impressive to see both the Radions and the AI's on the display tanks.

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply Lucky Duck, Appreciate the input. Went to WWC's Anniversary Sale today and got to talking to one of the managers. He recommended I go with three Radion XR 15 PRO or the Blue. If I needed to I could further upgrade by adding additional XR15's as needed. It was impressive to see both the Radions and the AI's on the display tanks.
It's nice to see them in action.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
of course they would say that. They dont use anything else and probably all are provided by ecotech for no charge. The XR15 G4's I had on my tank when I got my par rental was a big disappointment. Go with the K7 save some money and grow corals just as well without paying for the name

Luckyduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
of course they would say that. They dont use anything else and probably all are provided by ecotech for no charge. The XR15 G4's I had on my tank when I got my par rental was a big disappointment. Go with the K7 save some money and grow corals just as well without paying for the name
I get huge PAR numbers off my Noopsyche. It's about the same cost of an AI Prime 16HD and has 26 diodes compared to the 16 on the Prime. For multiple units it's CHEAPER than any other competing light. I'm not telling you I love it because I want you to buy it either. I'm telling you I love it because I was skeptical as hell about it especially switching from a Prime and I am blown away by the difference. Very happy I made the switch.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 155 75.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back