Noopsyche

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing quite a few online searches, it appears as though the folks here on R2R are about the only english-speaking people using the Noopsyche lights. Is this because someone here found them, liked them, and then started to spread the word?

The lights appear to be a very cost-effective alternative to the name-brand lights, but with such a small group of users and a relatively short time on the market, the lifespan and reliability is unknown. This may or may not be an issue; someone needs to be the early adopter :)

I really don't know how to ask this question without sounding like a jerk, which is not my intention, but aside from the manufacturer, does anyone here have a financial interest in the lights? I ask because with such a small user group to draw upon for opinions, each user's opinion has more weight than if there were hundreds or thousands of users.

Again, I really don't mean to stir the pot, but in the interest of openness, I think that it is important for this to be disclosed. For the record, I have no issue with someone making a buck off the light. In fact, I applaud the initiative and wish them great success. They will likely be making a few bucks off me very soon :D

Time to put on my flame retardant clothing. :eek:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Chinese brand that just entered the US market not too long ago. That would explain why there’s only a small group of people who have them (including me). There is a group but going on with these lights

khiyasu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche is a sponsor of this forum. A couple guys here did (and are still doing) a black box study and comparing their performances against some of the leading and more well known led brands. Noopsyche offered to sponsor one of their k7 ii pro lights and to pay for a kessil a360w (I think?), radion 15xr pro and hydra 26 HD for comparison. A lot of the other black box brands are still being studied but from the results the Noopsyche performed just as good or better than the 3 brands in terms of par output and even distribution.

I believe one of them is now the official distributor for Noopsyche in US but it looks like it came about this way because from the study that people were following, there was a huge interest in getting a piece of the light to test/use themselves. So to help the other reefers out, they managed to get a discounted group buy from Noopsyche for those who signed up. Lots of other people have / are using it and are confirming the results through photos etc so the performance numbers from the study are being verified by others. So although there might be monetary gain in the future, being a distributor/seller of the product, it came as a result of research, studies and a demand for the light first.

That’s my two cents from what I’ve been following. Regardless, even if it’s for monetary gain, if the light really performs as it claims (as is being verified), it is well worth letting reefers know about a high quality product that is available at a fraction of the price. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Last edited:

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopsyche is a sponsor of this forum. A couple guys here did (and are still doing) a black box study and comparing their performances against some of the leading and more well known led brands. Noopsyche offered to sponsor one of their k7 I pro lights and to pay for a kessil a360w (I think?), radion 15xr pro and hydra 26 HD for comparison. A lot of the other black box brands are still being studied but from the results the Noopsyche performed just as good or better than the 3 brands in terms of par output and even distribution.

I believe one of them is now the official distributor for Noopsyche in US but it looks like it came about this way because from the study that people were following, there was a huge interest in getting a piece of the light to test/use themselves. So to help the other reefers out, they managed to get a discounted group buy from Noopsyche for those who signed up. Lots of other people have / are using it and are confirming the results through photos etc so the performance numbers from the study are being verified by others. So although there might be monetary gain in the future, being a distributor/seller of the product, it came as a result of research, studies and a demand for the light first.

That’s my two cents from what I’ve been following. Regardless, even if it’s for monetary gain, if the light really performs as it claims (as is being verified), it is well worth letting reefers know about a high quality product that is available at a fraction of the price. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Well said.

Yes, the testing has been done and continues to be done by @Manose and Sustainable Aquatics, where he is conducting his study became the official distributor after the test started.

I have one of these lights and helped one day with the test and continue to evaluate and compare to other lights I own.

They stack up against the best. I have designed and built a diffuser for mine and it works even better now.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

I will be adding Kessil's to my personal study and have already compared two black box brands and a Angel SP1 setup.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noopysche supplied 4 of their K7 luminaires to my laboratory for testing purposes and results were posted here on R2R a few weeks ago. My lab has performed free aquarium product testing for almost 20 years and has provided many reviews, especially of lighting and pumps (in the late 90's, for a brief period of time, we did charge a fee for testing.) I do not endorse any product but instead provide results so the potential buyer can make an informed decision. I do not have a financial interest in any product/company.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Lots of other people have / are using it and are confirming the results through photos etc so the performance numbers from the study are being verified by others. ...

Regardless, even if it’s for monetary gain, if the light really performs as it claims (as is being verified), it is well worth letting reefers know about a high quality product that is available at a fraction of the price. And it comes with a 1 year warranty.

I've only seen a relatively few number (probably less than 20-25) people post or share results. To me, that's not lots.

As I mentioned in my OP, I have absolutely no issue with people promoting and making money from the light, but to me it is important for them to be up front about it; hence my question.

I do, however, agree with most of your post.

... Yes, the testing has been done and continues to be done by @Manose and Sustainable Aquatics, where he is conducting his study became the official distributor after the test started.....

...They stack up against the best. I have designed and built a diffuser for mine and it works even better now.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them....

Thanks.

Noopysche supplied 4 of their K7 luminaires to my laboratory for testing purposes and results were posted here on R2R a few weeks ago. My lab has performed free aquarium product testing for almost 20 years and has provided many reviews, especially of lighting and pumps (in the late 90's, for a brief period of time, we did charge a fee for testing.) I do not endorse any product but instead provide results so the potential buyer can make an informed decision. I do not have a financial interest in any product/company.

Thanks Dana, I've been a follower of yours for many years and appreciate all that you do to advance the hobby.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing quite a few online searches, it appears as though the folks here on R2R are about the only english-speaking people using the Noopsyche lights. Is this because someone here found them, liked them, and then started to spread the word?

The lights appear to be a very cost-effective alternative to the name-brand lights, but with such a small group of users and a relatively short time on the market, the lifespan and reliability is unknown. This may or may not be an issue; someone needs to be the early adopter :)

I really don't know how to ask this question without sounding like a jerk, which is not my intention, but aside from the manufacturer, does anyone here have a financial interest in the lights? I ask because with such a small user group to draw upon for opinions, each user's opinion has more weight than if there were hundreds or thousands of users.

Again, I really don't mean to stir the pot, but in the interest of openness, I think that it is important for this to be disclosed. For the record, I have no issue with someone making a buck off the light. In fact, I applaud the initiative and wish them great success. They will likely be making a few bucks off me very soon :D

Time to put on my flame retardant clothing. :eek:
@khiyasu said it best, I was and still am conducting study on all black box lights I can find. The Noopsyche light kinda fell into our lap after they wanted us to run a test on their light and compare it to the AI26,XR15pro and the Kessil 360x. I do promote the lights and am the only one on this forum other than Noopsyche that has a financial interest in these lights because the of the following:
>I have and continue to consult with Noopsyche on behalf of Sustainable Aquatics and their retail store The Coral Reef as the owner is one of my best friends.
>While I do not make actual money for helping, I do get some pretty cool benefits like test kits and other things like getting to go with The Coral Reef and help them setup at MACNA and Reef-A-Palooza.
I hope that clears up any questions you(others) may have on any financial ties people here may have with Noopsyche. I think this is important for everyone to know as this helps stop rumors and false claims before they start.
What I love about this whole thing is meeting lots of wonderful and interesting people.

I will leave this here as this is a small note I would like to make about The Real Black Box thread:
The Black Box Study thread is my baby and Noopsyche nor anyone else can influence my results from testing all these cool lights.

OP
OP
Rybren

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for being upfront Manose. I appreciate the time, effort, and money that you have spent on testing the lamps. You have provided us with very valuable information that is indispensable when trying to decide on a new lamp.

Now, if only the $CAD to $US exchange rate was better. By the time all is said and done, the Noopsyche is very close in price to the Prime HD. Except for ongoing connectivity issues, I love the Primes (I have 2 on my 28G zoa tank)

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for being upfront Manose. I appreciate the time, effort, and money that you have spent on testing the lamps. You have provided us with very valuable information that is indispensable when trying to decide on a new lamp.

Now, if only the $CAD to $US exchange rate was better. By the time all is said and done, the Noopsyche is very close in price to the Prime HD. Except for ongoing connectivity issues, I love the Primes (I have 2 on my 28G zoa tank)
That is sad about the price difference but the K7 can't be compared with the AI Prime as the K7 is more inline with the AI26 but better :p

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have them over my 40Breeder and replaced my G2 radion pro xr30 with them and I am much happier with these lights compared to the old ecotech. I am able to get the par I was getting out of my radion. For the price to performance they are probably the best out there. They are about equal to an XR15 g4 light in output.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yep that is pretty much true to life. I did custom WB in my camera to make it look about as dead on as I could to the eye. The photos had pretty much zero edit other than a couple that had a little bit over exposure I brought the exposure down a tad. zero edits to saturation or colors.
I am running Blues 80%, White 15% red/green 13%

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They stack up against the best. I have designed and built a diffuser for mine and it works even better now...

Not to threadjack (sorry OP) but do you have any more info posted on the diffuser on R2R? If so, could you point me in the right direction. Thanks

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to threadjack (sorry OP) but do you have any more info posted on the diffuser on R2R? If so, could you point me in the right direction. Thanks

I am not allowed to post about it because it may turn into a sales thing.

Not sure yet.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep that is pretty much true to life. I did custom WB in my camera to make it look about as dead on as I could to the eye. The photos had pretty much zero edit other than a couple that had a little bit over exposure I brought the exposure down a tad. zero edits to saturation or colors.
I am running Blues 80%, White 15% red/green 13%

Thanks for the reply.

kamla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your tank is looking SICK !!!

how did you set up the K7?
schedule? i did not understand what was meant by "Blues 80%, White 15% red/green 13%"

Thax
kamla

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back