Nopox and gfo use

LouieP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my DIY based on the ingredients:
mix one part vinegar to one half part vodka and one half part water, you'll be pretty close. If you want to get even closer, add a little more vodka and a little less water.

Even though I have an ATS, I still have high PO4 & NO3 so how much would I dose. My PO4 is at 0.41 ppm (Hana Checker ULR) & NO3 is at 20ppm I think (Salifert kit).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer vinegar alone to the mix, but the mix is fine. Here's an article that describes some dosing protocols for vodka, and the mix would be similar except dose about 4 times as much.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used all 3 together , i still use GFO and GAC 24/7 i stopped using NoPox becuse i stripped my tank too clean , so watch the levels , im actually dosing 5ml of NO3 daily to keep a little in the system ....... now i also added a 75 gallon refugium which keeps my NO3 & PO4 in check

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read, Randy.

Is there a reason you prefer vinegar (besides cost)?

I started with vodka and got an increase in cyano, and switched to vinegar and didn't have it. That might just be peculiar to my system and the species of cyano that were already present.

It also appears that acetate (from vinegar)is taken up and used by a very wide array of organisms (including corals), not just bacteria. In fact, it comprises a large fraction of organic cycling in the ocean.

DipSpit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with vodka and got an increase in cyano, and switched to vinegar and didn't have it. That might just be peculiar to my system and the species of cyano that were already present.

It also appears that acetate (from vinegar)is taken up and used by a very wide array of organisms (including corals), not just bacteria. In fact, it comprises a large fraction of organic cycling in the ocean.

Very interesting - once my NOPOX is exhausted I will make the switch. Is there an equivalency? ml to ml NOPOX:Distilled Vinegar? 1:1?

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a very similar experience I’ve been dosing 5 ml Nopox weekly while running GFO and GAC. My Nitrates and Phosphates are undetectable which I think is affecting my coral growth. Do I just have to wait for the levels to rise?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed more. 0 nitrates are fine. You want a little phosphate. IMO

I'm not sure I agree that 0 nitrate is "fine" but I suppose it depends on what 0 means to you, and what else you feed (such as amino acids). :)

Ramon Estevez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess if you’re at 0 you would just have to have more nutrients in the water column amino acids and foods. Where would you find Nitrates and phosphates to dose the tank?

OhDumb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just chiming in since I went through the same dilemma and currently running NOPOX/GFO/GAC.

I had really high nitrates and phosphates. I started running GFO and phosphates were being reduced, but water changes weren't helping with high Nitrates. I began dosing NOPOX per instructions and reduced GFO to zero after a few weeks. So, then I had 0 nitrates and high phosphates (I had cyno and it died off spiking phosphates even higher). So, back in the GFO went and then I had the 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates. So, I backed off on NOPOX and GFO and started using Red Sea's Coral Nutrition A & B and feeding heavier to get Nitrate and Phosphate measurable again. So, far so good.

My philosophy, right or wrong, is I use NOPOX to keep Nitrates in check and GFO to keep Phosphates in check. I run a nano with about 11g volume so, I do water changes ( 1-2 gallons) as this really helps with stability for Alk/Calc/pH/trace elements as dosing at small levels is ridiculous (fractions of ml).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess if you’re at 0 you would just have to have more nutrients in the water column amino acids and foods. Where would you find Nitrates and phosphates to dose the tank?

Sodium or potassium nitrate and phosphate are all suitable (food grade is inexpensive), as are hobby brands such as Brightwell Neophos. There are many dosing threads. :)

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 152 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back