Not Coris wrasse! This is becoming my biggest pet peeve...

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. I just got this yellow coris. I thought they were bad for reefs.

IMG_4376.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one
1691797235843.png

Humphead Coris Wrasse

It is actually not from the Coris genus (Cheilinus undulatus), but since we're OK with mixing names. DO IT!
You jest but my friend may be getting one.... Thats all I can say

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear, hear!

Stop calling it the yellow "coris" wrasse. Instead call it the yellow "pig" wrasse.

Etymology: Halichoeres: Greek, als, alis = salt + Greek, choiros = pig
ref: Romero, P., 2002. An etymological dictionary of taxonomy. Madrid, unpublished (dictionary resides in a database).

Ergo, Halichoeres are "salt pigs". They certainly act like it!
You're certainly not wrong and they definitely need a nickname.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of good utility wrasses for pests and I have always kept a melanurus and a sixline. Despite reputation I have had my current 6 line for close to 10 years w/o issue. However, I could not resist and added this guy who spends every waking moment hunting. Maybe he will eventually eat up all my fire and bristle worms. I lucked out and got an extraordinarily healthy specimen, a month ago, at around 3". Can't wait for the morph.

f5.jpg

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I mean I know this is the nerdiest of rants and no one is really walking into an LFS saying “________ on the internet told me to get a coris wrasse” and then going home with a twin spot coris.

Yep….
It is so pretty as a juvenile though
It's somewhat outrageous that it would be sold to hobbyists.
1691801025460.png

This is the photo that should be shown when selling this fish to someone with a smaller tank (under 180g)

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just described my wife
While at work the other day. .
I went to the printer to copy a schematic .
The printer was sleeping.

I mumbled probably louder than I should have “ wake up ***** .

The boss asked who I was talking about

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's somewhat outrageous that it would be sold to hobbyists.
1691801025460.png

This is the photo that should be shown when selling this fish to someone with a smaller tank (under 180g)
Yep...
Just like the pinnatus batfish. Sold as a beautiful little black fish with orange tipped fins. Becomes a massive ugly gray thing.
1691801876480.png
1691801904005.png

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jade wrasse - he grew into a 5inch fish after about 3 years and was stilll growing. Very dominant fish even over tangs, i always had issues with tankmate agression towards each other (2x clowns, tomini and convict tang, coral beauty and pinkface wrasse). Now the monater is gone (had to use fishing hook to catch him) - my tank is the most peaceful ever!

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jade wrasse - he grew into a 5inch fish after about 3 years and was stilll growing. Very dominant fish even over tangs, i always had issaues with tankmate agression (2x clowns, tomini and convict tang, coral beauty and pinkface wrasse). Now the monater is gone (had to use fishing hook to catch him) - my tank is the most peaceful ever!
It’s one of the big halichoeres. Don’t know why but the ones that get big are a lot more aggressive. I had similar happen with a Halichoeres hortulanus. I don’t suggest any pig wrasse that get longer then 6”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Halichoeres chrysus. A small, reef safe, and very peaceful wrasse known for being beautiful, eating pests, and as a good community member.
1691790512277.png

Credit @JoJosReef

This is Halichoeres chloropterus. A larger and more aggressive wrasse but still fairly reef safe and good for bigger tanks and for some pest management.
1691790816386.png

Credit @i cant think
These are not Coris wrasse they are Halichoeres wrasse!

Coris wrasse are big, they are not reef safe, and they are not appropriate to most tanks. They will eat your inverts, bully/kill your other fish, and toss your corals around. Here are some of these beasts:
The 16" Coris gaimard is perhaps the most reasonable Coris wrasse.
1691791218528.png

The 24" Coris formosa is one of the more common species in the trade:
1691791460210.png

Finally the Coris aygula sure is cute as a juvenile but not so much as a 47" adult!
1691791654728.png
1691791673342.png

So please stop calling Halichoeres chrysus the yellow "coris" wrasse, call it the yellow wrasse.
And stop calling Halichoeres chloropterus the green "coris" wrasse, call it the jade wrasse instead.
But you can call Coris gaimard the red "coris" wrasse because that is what it is. Here is my juvenile who i bought knowing what it would become:
IMG_3268.jpeg

So next time someone tells you to get a "Coris" wrasse to solve your pest issue. Hopefully you know not to get a true coris. Get yourself a nice Halichoeres instead. I am talking to you Ryan at BRSTV:

By far the prettiest on here has to be the Chloropterus ;)

I’ve also seen Halichoeres garnoti mislabelled as a Mediterranean Rainbow (Coris) Wrasse (Coris julis). Albeit this is rarer than the ‘Green Coris’ and ‘Yellow Coris’ wrasses.
Here’s the Garnoti;
1691825389448.jpeg

Vs the Julis;
1691825458919.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a jade wrasse - he grew into a 5inch fish after about 3 years and was stilll growing. Very dominant fish even over tangs, i always had issues with tankmate agression towards each other (2x clowns, tomini and convict tang, coral beauty and pinkface wrasse). Now the monater is gone (had to use fishing hook to catch him) - my tank is the most peaceful ever!
I’ve found it depends greatly on what your tank size is, mines 4’ and that beast is still submissive to the Radiant in the same tank. I’ve also been able to add more wrasses to the tank without all out war so far. Now to hope he doesn’t turn against my word if I have to move the leopard over to add my choati.
IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep...
Just like the pinnatus batfish. Sold as a beautiful little black fish with orange tipped fins. Becomes a massive ugly gray thing.
1691801876480.png
1691801904005.png
I still find them to be stunning especially when in a group of 3 or more.

If I had the tank size this fish would be on my list of fish I need.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still find them to be stunning especially when in a group of 3 or more.

If I had the tank size this fish would be on my list of fish I need.
Come visit the Georgia aquarium then. They have a big school of adults. I still don’t understand their refusal to add pretty fish to that tank but oh well.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back