Not Coris wrasse! This is becoming my biggest pet peeve...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And another thing with wrasses…

Over here we have ‘Parrotfish’ ‘Dwarf Parrotfish’ ‘Wrasses’ ‘Tamarins’ ‘Peacock/Leopards’

Now guess what the ‘Dwarf Parrots’ are….

Yup, it’s these.
IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

1691826480810.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

IMG_5815.jpeg

Like first off, these fish are of the wrong subfamily (Parrotfish are in the Scariidae subfamily, these are in the Labridae subfamily). And then they’re even in 2 DIFFERENT genera! Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus. How can you lump those two into the same category…

Last edited:
OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Over here we have ‘Parrotfish’ ‘Dwarf Parrotfish’ ‘Wrasses’ ‘Tamarins’ ‘Peacock/Leopards’

Now guess what the ‘Dwarf Parrots’ are….

Yup, it’s these. First off they’re not even in the same subfamily as Parrotfish.
IMG_6538.jpeg

IMG_6539.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

1691826480810.jpeg

IMG_6213.jpeg

IMG_5814.jpeg

IMG_5815.jpeg

Like first off, these fish are of the wrong subfamily (Parrotfish are in the Scariidae subfamily, these are in the Labridae subfamily). And then they’re even in 2 DIFFERENT genera! Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus. How can you lump those two into the same category…
You better watch out. I hear those munch on corals ;)

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i’m guilty of being one of those individuals who has misidentified the species. my yellow wrasse died not long ago i’m assuming due to age. plan on getting another, or a blue streaked wrasse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will keep calling yellow coris yellow coris because that's what people understand and what LFS identifies them as. No one gonna remember Haliecoreseeresess or however you spell it
Don’t upset my haliiichoruses look how sad he is
IMG_6495.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I actually have a bonafide parrotfish we've affectionately called "Beaker" (Scarus quoyi). I'm one of the few local reefers who's managed to successfully keep one in captivity for more than 3-6 months. Although loosely related to wrasses, these behave quite differently (ours parrotfish enjoys being petted and stroked; the other wrasses, not so much!)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a bonafide parrotfish we've affectionately called "Beaker" (Scarus quoyi). I'm one of the few local reefers who's managed to successfully keep one in captivity for more than 3-6 months. Although loosely related to wrasses, these behave quite differently (ours parrotfish enjoys being petted and stroked; the other wrasses, not so much!)
I have two fairies (‘dwarf parrots’) that love to be petted. I mean both happily swim into a bucket or a net they’re that personable.
The third however, don’t let him see your hand or else it’s dinner.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hear, hear!

Stop calling it the yellow "coris" wrasse. Instead call it the yellow "pig" wrasse.

Etymology: Halichoeres: Greek, als, alis = salt + Greek, choiros = pig
ref: Romero, P., 2002. An etymological dictionary of taxonomy. Madrid, unpublished (dictionary resides in a database).

Ergo, Halichoeres are "salt pigs". They certainly act like it!
We already have a pig wrasse in the Halichoeres. The pallidus is the pig wrasse

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I two fairies (‘dwarf parrots’) that love to be petted. I mean both happily swim into a bucket or a net they’re that personable.
The melanarus and christmas wrasses have both developed a fondness for seaweed, which isn't something they started out eating on a regular basis.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 60 48.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back