Not Coris wrasse! This is becoming my biggest pet peeve...

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case people are confused. This is a yellow coris.

download.jpeg

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve found it depends greatly on what your tank size is, mines 4’ and that beast is still submissive to the Radiant in the same tank. I’ve also been able to add more wrasses to the tank without all out war so far. Now to hope he doesn’t turn against my word if I have to move the leopard over to add my choati.
IMG_6497.jpeg

IMG_6495.jpeg
No thank you! Jade wrasse is not for me, never again! It took me a month to figure out how to catch him - as he dives into sand on first sign of trouble..

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanarus and christmas wrasses have both developed a fondness for seaweed, which isn't something they started out eating on a regular basis.
Both of my halichoeres (H. Claudia and H. Melanarus) eat nori on the regular. They just swim up to the feeder and nip.

The new addition to the party is the velvet damsel (it returned to tank life after 6 or so weeks of sump life). its quickly becoming the 'Mikey' in the tank, it eats everything including nori off the feeder.

H. Claudia eats nori!

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Both of my halichoeres (H. Claudia and H. Melanarus) eat nori on the regular. They just swim up to the feeder and nip.

The new addition to the party is the velvet damsel (it returned to tank life after 6 or so weeks of sump life). its quickly becoming the 'Mikey' in the tank, it eats everything including nori off the feeder.

H. Claudia eats nori!
Both my H. Melanurus and H. Leucoxanthus eat nori from the clips.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an interesting explanation for the origin of the genus name Halichoeres on aquainfo.org:

Halichoeres prosopeion was first described by Bleeker in 1853. The genus name can be broken down into two ancient Greek words. Halios means ‘sea’ and choiros means ‘pig’. Freely translated Sea pig. A reference to the elongated conical teeth that point outward and forward at the corner of the mouth. These teeth protrude beyond the lips of the fish. These canines reminded Rüppel of the teeth of a bore (male pig).

Looks like Chrysus basically means gold. So . . . Golden Wrasse as the most sensible common name?

Coincidentally, this is the fish I asked my LFS to order for me this week. I shamefully asked them to order a Yellow Coris Wrasse. That was before I saw this thread.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found an interesting explanation for the origin of the genus name Halichoeres on aquainfo.org:

Halichoeres prosopeion was first described by Bleeker in 1853. The genus name can be broken down into two ancient Greek words. Halios means ‘sea’ and choiros means ‘pig’. Freely translated Sea pig. A reference to the elongated conical teeth that point outward and forward at the corner of the mouth. These teeth protrude beyond the lips of the fish. These canines reminded Rüppel of the teeth of a bore (male pig).

Looks like Chrysus basically means gold. So . . . Golden Wrasse as the most sensible common name?

Coincidentally, this is the fish I asked my LFS to order for me this week. I shamefully asked them to order a Yellow Coris Wrasse. That was before I saw this thread.
Ooh that’s very interesting! Thank you for looking into it. Also you’re right. If the green is sometimes known as the jade wrasse the golden wrasse definitely fits the yellow.
@JoJosReef you see this?

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh that’s very interesting! Thank you for looking into it. Also you’re right. If the green is sometimes known as the jade wrasse the golden wrasse definitely fits the yellow.
@JoJosReef you see this?
Now we need a Sapphire Wrasse!

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Red Coris Wrasse in my first reef tank when I was just starting out and didn’t know better. Every single day he would rearrange coral frags on the sandbed. Luckily I didn’t have any inverts. I look back and think to myself, how did I manage to put up with him for so long.

1692033718072.jpeg

Last edited:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Had a Red Coris Wrasse in my first reef tank when I was just starting out and didn’t know better. Everyday single day he would rearrange coral frags on the sandbed. Luckily I didn’t have any inverts. I look back and think to myself, how did I manage to put up with him for so long.

1692033718072.jpeg
Yo, mine is a little beasty already!
He shreds food, will steal from the triggers, and hunts on the rocks all day.
20230811_190150.jpg

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef you see this?
Just did. Fits, although I still think pig wrasse seems appropriate to distinguish it as a Halichoeres. Could golden wrasse become confused with C. rhomboidalis? In that case, golden fairy wrasse, no? So for H. chrysus, golden pig wrasse seems about right.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's even worse is when people call them "banana wrasses".

This IS a banana wrasse. It's a horrible fish in almost every way for anyone but FOWLR keepers who have about 6" of sand. 2/10.

This IS NOT a banana wrasse. It's a great fish, can't get enough of them. 10/10.

I pity the poor newbie who gets told to get a banana wrasse and ends up with the first one.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This IS a banana wrasse. It's a horrible fish in almost every way for anyone but FOWLR keepers who have about 6" of sand. 2/10.

This IS NOT a banana wrasse. It's a great fish, can't get enough of them. 10/10.

I pity the poor newbie who gets told to get a banana wrasse and ends up with the first one.
That's a foot long fish!

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a foot long fish!

Yep. Thalassoma are smaller but more aggressive then Coris wrasse.

Saying that I'm about to get one. Just need to decide between the lucasanum, lunare, and lutescens...

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yep. Thalassoma are smaller but more aggressive then Coris wrasse.

Saying that I'm about to get one. Just need to decide between the lucasanum, lunare, and lutescens...
I'm excited to watch h my hardwicke grow. He's slow.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back