Notifications/alerts

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem where I don't always get notifications or alerts, or I'll get them hours afterwards. I have tried this on my phone on the mobile site (using Chrome). I've tried tapatalk. I've tried the reef2reef app. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
I'll refresh the notications and won't have anything. Then I'll go to a thread that I'm following and notice a new post that I never got a notification for. Then hours later I'll get a notification for it.

With the reef2reef app I get push notifications that'll say "you have 3 messages" and I click it and it'll take me to a notications page that seems to have not worked since March 15th. But I go to tapatalk and refresh my subscription tab and sometimes I'll see the new posts there. Sometimes not. So then I'll go to reef2reef.com on Chrome and sometimes I'll find the reply in my alerts there, but sometimes not. If not then I'll go to most recently replied threads and find a new reply for a thread I'm subscribed to there. But this is ridiculous! I just want a way to get notifications (preferably push) on time and then be able to click and go to the thing I was notified about! How can I do this?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@leahfiish Unfortunately, the R2R app and Tapatalk do not provide all the functionality as when you're logged directly into the site using a browser. So, I'm not surprised to hear that you're not getting all your alerts/notifications on those platforms.

However, you should be getting them when logged directly into the site. Can you try only using the mobile site (via Chrome) for a few days and then report back to let us know if you still aren't getting your alerts.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@leahfiish Unfortunately, the R2R app and Tapatalk do not provide all the functionality as when you're logged directly into the site using a browser. So, I'm not surprised to hear that you're not getting all your alerts/notifications on those platforms.

However, you should be getting them when logged directly into the site. Can you try only using the mobile site (via Chrome) for a few days and then report back to let us know if you still aren't getting your alerts.
It's common in the mobile site as well as on the desktop.
I had always assumed it was too many watched threads.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's common in the mobile site as well as on the desktop.
I had always assumed it was too many watched threads.

Really? I always get all my alerts + conversation notifications, sometimes 50-60 at a time. :eek: I'll ask Rev if too many watched threads is a known issue.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I always get all my alerts + conversation notifications, sometimes 50-60 at a time. :eek: I'll ask Rev if too many watched threads is a known issue.
Yup. I have never been able to subscribe to a build thread.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many threads are you currently watching? I'm wondering if there's a limit with the software.
Lol. Who knows. Any I participate in are watched. So that's kind of a lot.

I figured there had to be a limit.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks Let me look into this some.

I'll also tag @revhtree @mdbannister to see if they know if there's a maximum no. of threads that can be watched. I'm not finding anything (on the main Xenforo forum) which indicates that is true. Might be an ACP setting though which needs adjusting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I'd guess it's to make sure I don't get 38,000 notifications.

I did tag a couple other folks who had noted some inconsistency in the notifications

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the headsup SFF, Im here this morning on my laptop using Firefox and do have alerts.

I had always received them via the mobile App until sometime in the past few days, Maybe 7/7 or 7/8. I know there's less functionality to a degree using the App but viewing mostly on my phone I just find it the simplest to use and it's just habit. I'll try to remember to use a browser.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having an issue with the tapatalk app I just started using the r2r app and I have trouble using the mobile app I’m still testing the r2r now. I’ll update in a few

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol. Who knows. Any I participate in are watched. So that's kind of a lot.

I figured there had to be a limit.

What kind of notifications are you not getting?

You do know that if you get notified, via email that one of your watched threads was posted in and you do not visit the thread then you will not get another notification again until you visit the thread?

Is this what you're talking about?

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of notifications are you not getting?

You do know that if you get notified, via email that one of your watched threads was posted in and you do not visit the thread then you will not get another notification again until you visit the thread?

Is this what you're talking about?

I’m getting notifications 3hours late and also getting notifications from days ago. It all started after the new media update thing

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m getting notifications 3hours late and also getting notifications from days ago. It all started after the new media update thing

Did you get a notification about this thread? I did and that's how I knew you responded.

What platform are you using that is giving you these notices late?

Sorry just trying to figure this out.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I looked at your profile and it shows you using tapatalk. Try the mobile version and see if it works out for you! Not the R2R app and not the TT app.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Also I just checked your preferences and you have the option to subscribe to a thread turned off. That's why you're getting no notifications. I just selected that for you with emails.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the headsup SFF, Im here this morning on my laptop using Firefox and do have alerts.

I had always received them via the mobile App until sometime in the past few days, Maybe 7/7 or 7/8. I know there's less functionality to a degree using the App but viewing mostly on my phone I just find it the simplest to use and it's just habit. I'll try to remember to use a browser.

Also I just checked your preferences and you have the option to subscribe to a thread turned off. That's why you're getting no notifications. I just selected that for you with emails.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol. I'd guess it's to make sure I don't get 38,000 notifications.

I did tag a couple other folks who had noted some inconsistency in the notifications

Im showing you are subscribing. It have email notifications turned off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back