Notrate reactor does not work, nitrates spiking up

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, hope i can get some help here. I have used this nitrate reactor on other reef tanks ot worked great, but this time I am using it on a 20 gallon cube and its not working. I soaked it in microbacter7 just like melevsreef said in his video and it still does not work. Its been running for 2 months already,same nitrate lvl never went down. Now it is slowly creaping up to 50 from 25
and dont really know why this is happening, the pellets tumble so there is no dead spots. My only humch is that their are microbubbles in my tank from skimmer so the micro bubbles go into the nitrate reactor and probably that messes it up. Any suggestions?

9310EE19-D4C0-48A1-BC81-AE48F6CF2C06.jpeg 5B87E10C-A80A-46B0-A15C-65AB933588AA.jpeg

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you please give a closer description of your reactor. Is it sulphur media or Is it a classic denitrification reactor that need dosing of DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon like ethanol)

Have you measure the NO2 level. When denitrification not are optimal NO2 can be formed and NO2 in the water affect your NO3 readings.

The media need to be anaerobic (both for sulphur and classic reactors) - tiny air bubbles into the reactor will bring oxygen into the reactor.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you please give a closer description of your reactor. Is it sulphur media or Is it a classic denitrification reactor that need dosing of DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon like ethanol)

Have you measure the NO2 level. When denitrification not are optimal NO2 can be formed and NO2 in the water affect your NO3 readings.

The media need to be anaerobic (both for sulphur and classic reactors) - tiny air bubbles into the reactor will bring oxygen into the reactor.

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for answering. I have never measured my NO2 lvls. The reactor is a nitrate pellet reactor. So the microbubbles are the problem? Because there is no way to get rid of them

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nitrate pellet
Any links what this is? I am not familiar with this. Yes the bubbles can be a problem but the flow through the reactor should be as low as possible - just drops per minute - they should not be a problem normally

Sincerely Lasse

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a type of biopellets (they contain a type of organic carbon source) - the flow should be very low if you want a denitrification - if you have a high flow - they will act as consumer of NO3 - like bacteria growth. If this should work - you can´t let the PO4 go near zero. As it is now - I think that they work as a nitrification filter instead.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
R

reefer2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a type of biopellets (they contain a type of organic carbon source) - the flow should be very low if you want a denitrification - if you have a high flow - they will act as consumer of NO3 - like bacteria growth. If this should work - you can´t let the PO4 go near zero. As it is now - I think that they work as a nitrification filter instead.

Sincerely Lasse
Definitale will have that in mind thanks for the great tip

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back