Nuisance algae

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone identify this algae and the cure for it? It’s like a slime with bubbles trapped underneath it.

CB5A50B1-A05B-4818-8940-2B79ECB9DFA3.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like green cyano to me. I've been battling it for months...siphon weekly, blow off detritus from rocks every day or two, control nutrients so they are stable. Other options are chemicals, but I haven't wanted to resort to this yet. Mine is getting better...just a slow process.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Idoc beat me to it.....looks like green cyano to me also. Mine was a product of a dino battle. Agree also with manual removal, blow it off often (if it is cyano it should blow off easily with a turkey baster) and stable nutrients.

This is what mine looked like under the microscope.

250Xa.jpg

OP
OP
Mrxia0

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does blow off pretty easily but it grows so fast. Think red slime will take care of it?

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does blow off pretty easily but it grows so fast. Think red slime will take care of it?
Chemi-Clean or Red Slime remover should clear it out pretty easily. Be careful, though...many have reported that after using these chemicals, the system becomes ripe for a dino outbreak. I have this green cyano and it is a pain...I've been trying to manually remove it and stabilize nutrient levels but minimal improvement over the past several months. I've been thinking about trying chemi-clean...just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

OP
OP
Mrxia0

Mrxia0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tempted to do it. It’s overtaking my side wallls and my mushroom box. It’s just crazy how fast they grow

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no better method to beat this than disassembly cleaning, which is impractical for large tanks.

but lets say this tank can be drained off into a single brute can/ the water (so you can clean the sand, back walls, rocks, all of their current retained waste and put water back on clean items)

nothing could beat the benefits that confers to a tank, the longevity lifespan increase due to waste clogging and associated invasion removed... all in one pass

how big is this tank, looks pretty big

I offer this method cuz 50% of the time its a nano and 25% of the time I get another job for the sand rinse thread, we're out 33 pages due to this practice lol. we take tanks with those before pics, rip clean them, and post the proud after shots. rip cleaning is nice because you can run it on an uninvaded reef, doing just fine, and still boost it better than before.

a rip cleaned tank has open vs clogged interstices

in that condition, you can feed a ton more without causing issues, at least for a while depending on your reef design. that interim + protein input means literally more coral mass...we rip clean tanks so we can feed them better and grow corals faster, along with being totally free of an invasion in three hours total time spent.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no better method to beat this than disassembly cleaning, which is impractical for large tanks.

but lets say this tank can be drained off into a single brute can/ the water (so you can clean the sand, back walls, rocks, all of their current retained waste and put water back on clean items)

nothing could beat the benefits that confers to a tank, the longevity lifespan increase due to waste clogging and associated invasion removed... all in one pass

how big is this tank, looks pretty big

I offer this method cuz 50% of the time its a nano and 25% of the time I get another job for the sand rinse thread, we're out 33 pages due to this practice lol. we take tanks with those before pics, rip clean them, and post the proud after shots. rip cleaning is nice because you can run it on an uninvaded reef, doing just fine, and still boost it better than before.

a rip cleaned tank has open vs clogged interstices

in that condition, you can feed a ton more without causing issues, at least for a while depending on your reef design. that interim + protein input means literally more coral mass...we rip clean tanks so we can feed them better and grow corals faster, along with being totally free of an invasion in three hours total time spent.
Is a treatment with a product like WasteAway the same thing as rip cleaning?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truly I think if it were, we'd be on a 33 page thread using that as its dose topwater/low work.

only work threads impress me regarding pretty much any claim in reefing, there are sporadic reports of it working agreed its legit seemingly in some tanks/somewhat of a pattern in reports if we read post-use evals

but there's not a 30 page thread on it case closed for true patterning, we'd need one to really know I think.

I 100% believe you can dose waste away to a system and kill a target

and i can still reach in, grab sand, and drop it mid tank and it will kill fish in 10% of tanks ran in, a very high number considering the sand rinse thread is 33 pages no loss, and tanks that can be drop tested live time right now without loss, my own included.

what we're after in the rip clean goes far beyond the target, thats my true intention. we're always compounding vs ejecting it seems with water dosers, though I know if they break down detritus fast enough mechanical means will export it

its not fast enough compared to our total control method. if a sandbed can't pass a drop test, that's on a continuum leading up to total loss on one end and zero loss on the other, regardless of the doser we use, in my opinion so far.

now for large inaccessible tanks, dose away nobody wants to export those.

I can envision some reef designs that dont want waste ejected from rocks and sand occasionally, in that case no rip cleans there. I cannot think of one example on this whole forum though, perhaps in the full planted reef section

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
truly I think if it were, we'd be on a 33 page thread using that as its dose topwater/low work.

only work threads impress me regarding pretty much any claim in reefing, there are sporadic reports of it working agreed its legit seemingly in some tanks/somewhat of a pattern in reports if we read post-use evals

but there's not a 30 page thread on it case closed for true patterning, we'd need one to really know I think.

I 100% believe you can dose waste away to a system and kill a target

and i can still reach in, grab sand, and drop it mid tank and it will kill fish in 10% of tanks ran in, a very high number considering the sand rinse thread is 33 pages no loss, and tanks that can be drop tested live time right now without loss, my own included.

what we're after in the rip clean goes far beyond the target, thats my true intention. we're always compounding vs ejecting it seems with water dosers, though I know if they break down detritus fast enough mechanical means will export it

its not fast enough compared to our total control method. if a sandbed can't pass a drop test, that's on a continuum leading up to total loss on one end and zero loss on the other, regardless of the doser we use, in my opinion so far.

now for large inaccessible tanks, dose away nobody wants to export those.

I can envision some reef designs that dont want waste ejected from rocks and sand occasionally, in that case no rip cleans there. I cannot think of one example on this whole forum though, perhaps in the full planted reef section

OK thanks. You could probably add there is definite end point with rip cleaning. When do you stop dosing bacteria?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%

Back