Nuisance Algae

jackalexander

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 26, 2020
Messages
378
Reaction score
173
Location
Ventura
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FDB8CEDC-73EA-4B36-82E2-3853C2F63746.jpeg
The tank is about 4-5 months old now and I can tell that the water parameters are becoming extremely stable with no fluctuations. I am starting to see purple/pink spots all over my rocks which I assume is coralline algae. The rocks are still super green and slimy though which I was told is cyanobacteria, it grows on my glass and rocks but the sand is always white. Any ideas on how I could rid my tank of the algae and promote the coralline growth? my LFS suggested feeding less, increasing frequency of water changes and feeding once every other day rather than once a day.
 
Tank looks great to me, I wouldn’t do a thing. Monitor phosphate and nitrate levels and keep them low/within range. Otherwise your tank is still new and will go through algae phases, all part of the process.
 
Tank looks great to me, I wouldn’t do a thing. Monitor phosphate and nitrate levels and keep them low/within range. Otherwise your tank is still new and will go through algae phases, all part of the process.
Great, thank you! haven’t measured phosphate yet but my nitrates have been steadily reading in the 5-10 ppm range.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new