Nuisance Algae

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FDB8CEDC-73EA-4B36-82E2-3853C2F63746.jpeg
The tank is about 4-5 months old now and I can tell that the water parameters are becoming extremely stable with no fluctuations. I am starting to see purple/pink spots all over my rocks which I assume is coralline algae. The rocks are still super green and slimy though which I was told is cyanobacteria, it grows on my glass and rocks but the sand is always white. Any ideas on how I could rid my tank of the algae and promote the coralline growth? my LFS suggested feeding less, increasing frequency of water changes and feeding once every other day rather than once a day.

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great to me, I wouldn’t do a thing. Monitor phosphate and nitrate levels and keep them low/within range. Otherwise your tank is still new and will go through algae phases, all part of the process.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great to me, I wouldn’t do a thing. Monitor phosphate and nitrate levels and keep them low/within range. Otherwise your tank is still new and will go through algae phases, all part of the process.
Great, thank you! haven’t measured phosphate yet but my nitrates have been steadily reading in the 5-10 ppm range.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back