Nuvo 10g Skimmer

Stevied71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CB05491B-6D2A-4CCD-A6FC-739BAAA65000.png
What skimmer is everyone using in there Nuvo AIO Fusion 10g. I’m looking at the Eshoppe Nano Skimmer as I’ve seen other tank with it an I know it will fit in the 1st chamber. Let me know.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard less than favorable reviews on the Eshoppe. If you have an ATO it's really hard to go wrong with Tunze in my experience.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brings me back to my favorite discussion about skimmers in nano tanks. What are you seeking to change by adding a skimmer? Are the corals and other life not out competing the nuisance algae with the water changes? Or are you seeking to add a skimmer because that's what we do?

skimmers can be extremely beneficial in a nano, and they can be a waste of valuable space and money.

i have a thread on the subject, albeit not much on skimmer reviews, but member @Luno posted a pic of his modified $40 skimmer that was pulling out sludge :

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/nano-tanks-are-protein-skimmers-sufficiently-effective.360238/

Fwiw, I had the Hydor nano, since it was the only one that would fit inside my CPR HOB fuge, It pulled out light tea regularly, but my cheato and corals were keeping my NO3 and PO4 too low - well actually leaving behind a bit of PO4 making a nice environment for the cyano.

I decided to remove the skimmer and the cyano disappeared as the NO3 and PO4 ratio was better for the corals to out compete the cyano.

don't get me wrong, I am neither for nor against skimmers in nanos, it's my opinion and experience is that it shouldn't be an automatic addition, but rather to address the need to remove organic waste. Organic waste can be beneficial, unless it results in excess nitrates. I recommend reading @Tony Thompson post in the thread on this.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To build on what mike said, I couldn't agree more. Nano's can really be the most difficult reef to keep. The one I have currently is my first however definitely won't be my last it is enjoyable and rewarding to have a small scale reef system. But I couldn't believe how difficult it was compared to my large reef systems.

My skimmer produces a lot of oxygenation for me and that honestly is the main reason I keep it. I've modified it heaps to actually work well. I often refer to it as a Frankenstein skimmer ha!

I have heard many nano reefers be very disappointed in their skimmer performance. I am glad that I found a way to make mine work, and I do think it does a great deal of nutrient reduction but i'm always curious how the system would go if I were to take it offline.

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't run a skimmer on my NUVO 10. Honestly don't see the need for one, however I've seen people using the Reefglass skimmer with good results.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back