PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t see the video sadly.
Not sure what happened with the video but mushrooms are doing good. The flow slowly raises their skirt. One started to expand to the sand and the other is covering the frag plug.

shrooms.jpg

Will try to get new FTS this weekend, need to run a few water test either tomorrow or Friday and a water change. The aiptasia reappeared so that's also on the agenda.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update - Picked a new pair of peppermint shrimp to tackle the Aiptasia. Have around 6 large ones and a couple smaller ones in the display. Planning to do a water test/change and vacuum sand tomorrow.

FTS_012222--.jpg

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, really enjoy the softies! I been wanting to do a video clip. To capture hourly changes thru out the day/light on.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, really enjoy the softies! I been wanting to do a video clip. To capture hourly changes thru out the day/light on.
Get a tripod and plug your phone in and do a Timelapse for a few hours. Right before lights on and let it run for 2-5 hours and will make a nice video.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't posted in a while, between work, house hunting, and day to day life I been super busy.

The good news tank has been doing relatively good. I do have some green/turf algae growing on the rocks after heavier feeding which I have reduced. Also lower the white and UV spectrum and increased blue. Added a mushroom/anemone box to put the small shroom as it is getting buried and stomped daily by hermit crabs.

While I won't upgrade right away I been looking at bigger tanks in the 3 and hopefully 4 foot range. Also looking at possible stock list for when the upgrade does materialize. For now enjoying the tank and realizing I will need to move it in the next couple of weeks/months.

FTS_20220310.jpg

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated - I totally have a new appreciation for those who do large tank moves. The tank sits in its new place and it took me longer than expected but got it done. At times I questioned if it would have been better or easier to just do a restart. Tank has been fully clean, new sand, new water and minor re-scape. Still lots of things need to be fixed like, setup ATO, controller, light, power heads, skimmer. I still need to move some corals from the bins, glue others and might be a good idea to run some test and carbon as corals still shedding. Also get a blackout curtain as it sits next to a window.

I would like to get a few new inverts like pom pom crab, feather duster, conch, pods and a few snails to beef up the CUC.

20220505_164009_HDR_(1).jpg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad the move went well! Everything looks happy.

We had a leak in a wall the other day and I’ve been debating moving the tank to make it easier for them to work but I’m trying to get them to go through the room behind the tank to fix whatever it is. I dread moving a tank and it will be last resort.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can now say I been stung by bristles worm. Not a fun experience; pro-tip keep some vinager handy it works great.

20220507_171011_HDR.jpg

Trying to upload a short clip after feeding this morning but was unable. They're always hungry, thinking there is more food coming.

Screenshot_20220514-102723_(1).png

Need to set up a few things tomorrow. Manual top off is getting old and taking a weekend off soon so want things ready and tested. I did add a few snails and hermit crabs. Have some green hair/turf algae on the rocks I need to keep on top of it.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can now say I been stung by bristles worm. Not a fun experience; pro-tip keep some vinager handy it works great.

20220507_171011_HDR.jpg

Trying to upload a short clip after feeding this morning but was unable. They're always hungry, thinking there is more food coming.

Screenshot_20220514-102723_(1).png

Need to set up a few things tomorrow. Manual top off is getting old and taking a weekend off soon so want things ready and tested. I did add a few snails and hermit crabs. Have some green hair/turf algae on the rocks I need to keep on top of it.
For algae control try 1 snail per gallon. This works well for me in all 3 systems with no algae to worry about except on the glass.
Nice system!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For algae control try 1 snail per gallon. This works well for me in all 3 systems with no algae to worry about except on the glass.
Nice system!

Thanks, I might get a few more, right now I have 6 Astrea, 6 blue hermits, 2 nassarius, 1 cerith, 2 peppermint. I had good success with turbos but they seem to only last 6-8 months and then perish (had 2). Not sure if it's the lack or type of algae in the system. Might get 1 and then re-home.
Which type do you have?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I might get a few more, right now I have 6 Astrea, 6 blue hermits, 2 nassarius, 1 cerith, 2 peppermint. I had good success with turbos but they seem to only last 6-8 months and then perish (had 2). Not sure if it's the lack or type of algae in the system. Might get 1 and then re-home.
Which type do you have?
Astrea, trochus, and only a couple turbos. Problem with some turbos is they come from cooler water and dont do well in 80° systems.
My 20g nano with 25 assorted snails.
20220505_160328.jpg

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks amazing going to check out your build. You definitely have no algae there. The cooler water makes sense why the turbo doesn't last long time.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three weeks since the move and the tank is settling nicely. Went on a weekend getaway to Clearwater and there was no issues upon my return. I added a (lazy) turbo snail and a red mushroom to go next to the green one. Plan to run some test and a water change this weekend.

Thinking of adding a few inverts from RC (Pom Pom crab, small conch, and small pin cushion this one would be temporary). The tank is filling out and there is no upgrade in sight. I was considering the Reefer 350 but with all the seam issues and height it’s unlikely I get one. The other one I’m excited about is the upcoming IM 40L Ext (36*20*13). This one will give me an additional 1’ in length, 8” width and a real sump. I’m limited on width and can’t do 24” bummer.
Blue light
F3CB1C30-BB35-4B9E-9C55-F2198A2E44E5.jpeg
Orange filter
060BADCE-1770-4516-8878-D6E2031AA7A7.jpeg

Large green mushroom
3C80622F-63BB-4AFF-80FD-CD21688A0003.jpeg
New tiny red mushroom
69A4CF43-B5F9-4CBE-BF52-1B06294D0A42.jpeg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be interested to see how a small conch works for you I’ve thought of getting one but decided not to due to size and love for corals on the sandbed.

On the urchin maybe look at tuxedos. They stay smaller and should be fine in a 20g long term. I have two currently.

Those new 40g do look sweet!

Tanks looking nice glad it did well during/after the move!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back