Nuvo 30 Mixed Reef Build.

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

Long time lurker and watcher of the forums. I may of started a thread once before on a tank but probably never followed through on it ;Facepalm

This build thread was not planned in advance and I didnt take pictures of the whole process but i will share the pictures I did take.

This build is taking place because we just found out my wife is "Pregnant!!!" and we needed to move the tank out of one room and move it to another, we are turn the old tank room into a nursery. So Iv had all sizes of tanks, started with small biocube, went to a 30 solana that turned into a 60 cube then went from that to a 200 and all the way back down to a 60 cube. After a lot of thought I wanted something that would be simple, easy maintenance look big but not be to big. So I went with the 30 Gallon Nuvo with no back filtration and a smokey back glass. Nuvo 30 smokey glass image.jpg
Went with the Eshopps L ghost overflow and two return lines on the back glass. Was extremely nervous drilling 4 holes in the tank considering I have never done that, had my local fish store drill it for me and all went well. After watching I should of just man'd up and did it myself it didn't look to difficult.

I was not satisfied with any of the stands I could find online. They either were made out of cheap material, to small or just ugly. So I built myself a stand. Made the stand wider and deeper then the tank. I wanted my my stand up against the wall and not out an inch or two for the plumbing. I also wanted a larger sump then the typical stand would allow. Here is the basic structure of the stand.

Wood Frame.JPG

And here is the stand pretty much finished and finished. IMG_9993.JPG
IMG_9782.JPG

Here is a picture of the almost finished product of the plumping supply and drain lines. I added the unions in the sump above the two main drain lines, and on each end of the return lines in the sump. I plumped the return line to supply my two returns, and the manifold that goes to two reactors and my chiller. Had some issues dialing in my flow from the overbox into my sump. After some research I decided to shorten the main drain line in the sump and that fixed my issue. I guess if the line is to far into the water it wont allow for the air to escape. Causing your secondary drain line to try to become the main drain. Sorry if I explained that wrong or not well.

IMG_0022.JPG

Here is my tank right after set up, only 1 of my Gen 2 pros where available because the other was still over my other tank.

, IMG_0026.JPG

And here is what it looks like as of tonight
updated tank picture..JPG

Equipment list.

Custom Stand
.Nuvo 30 No back filtration.
.2 Radion Gen 2 Pros
.2 Radion RMS light mounts.
.Eshopps L Overflow box
.Eshopps R-200 Sump
.Reef Octopus Essence 130 Skimmer
.Sicce 3.0 quite Return pump.
.Jabeo doser, not yet installed but its set up and ready to go once the tank starts consuming more.
.Small LED fixture for a nano tank just cant remember what the light is called. Ill try and post a picture another night.
.2 Ecotech MP10's I have a 40 but that would be over kill.
.Artic chiller, cant remember which model it is but I think its rated for around 75 gallons.

This is my first real build thread so please fell free to ask me questions and to take pictures of anything (tank related). Also what ever feedback is welcome. Sorry for any grammer mistakes im pretty much dyslexic so bare with me!

Thanks for taking the time to check out my thread.

OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooo and if anyone has some suggestions on how to level out the dang radion lights I would appreciate it. I have tried a few different things and one always seems to dip lower then the other. Just sucks having a nice looking set up and then seeing one light hang slightly lower then the other.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo! Another Nuvo Black 30L, this is awesome. I think you, me, and maybe two others are the only ones with this tank. Which is odd because it's just such beautiful tank... great dimensions, and looks way bigger than it actually is.

Really wonderful job on the stand. I completely agree with you, there aren't any good stands besides ones you build for yourself. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, bought one from petscosmart before I knew what I was doing, and I really regret not building my own. Yours looks great! Sturdy and functional.

I'm curious what you think of the Eclipse L? I got one originally but returned it after reading quite a bit of bad reviews, and decided to go with a similar 3 drain overflow by Modular Marine.

Another question, it looks to me like the overflow pipes are coming right through the middle of the stand...am I missing something? How deep is the stand? It looks not much bigger than the tank itself so I'm confused.

please fell free to ask me questions and to take pictures of anything (tank related).
This made me lol. What else would we ask for pictures of besides your tank?! Also, no need to apologize, I believe you are off to a fantastic start and kudos for the great write up and photos.

Looking forward to future updates. ;Joyful

OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yo! Another Nuvo Black 30L, this is awesome. I think you, me, and maybe two others are the only ones with this tank. Which is odd because it's just such beautiful tank... great dimensions, and looks way bigger than it actually is.

Really wonderful job on the stand. I completely agree with you, there aren't any good stands besides ones you build for yourself. Unfortunately I learned this the hard way, bought one from petscosmart before I knew what I was doing, and I really regret not building my own. Yours looks great! Sturdy and functional.

I'm curious what you think of the Eclipse L? I got one originally but returned it after reading quite a bit of bad reviews, and decided to go with a similar 3 drain overflow by Modular Marine.

Another question, it looks to me like the overflow pipes are coming right through the middle of the stand...am I missing something? How deep is the stand? It looks not much bigger than the tank itself so I'm confused.

This made me lol. What else would we ask for pictures of besides your tank?! Also, no need to apologize, I believe you are off to a fantastic start and kudos for the great write up and photos.

Looking forward to future updates. ;Joyful

Hey there!

I really like the Eclipse L, I wanted to have a Bean animal style over flow and this was a good option for me. Not sure why folks would give it a bad review. My only issue was user error my first time putting water through it i had the gaskets in the wrong spot but after switching them up and tightening them i havent had a single issue or any kind of leak. And I didn't use any silicone like some people recommend.

Was my first time doing a bean style overflow so I also had to make some adjustments. I was not getting the proper siphon and my plumbing was loud. But after doing some research I found I just needed to make an adjustment to my down pipe in my sump. It was to far into the water in my return chamber, about 7 inchs down. Reduce it to about an inch under water and that fixed everything. Now the things silent as can be. very pleased with it.

And to answer your questions about the over flow pipes and my return pipes " YES" they are going through the stand. I wanted my stand to go right up against the wall. I didnt want to have visible pipes so I built the stand around that as well. Stand dimensions are 25 inchs front to back and 42 inchs tall

IMG_0638.JPG

Been lazy but I made a piece of wood the same color of the stand that will sit between the wall and the tank so the pipes wont be visible. Just haven't installed it yet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been pretty impressed with the Reef Octopus Essence 130 Skimmer, Skims very well. I do have a few micro bubbles but it doesnt bother me that much Here is a picture of the skim cup after 5-7 days

Things im not impressed with is the jaebo 4 channel doser. I know its cheap im not complaining, I'll get a better one in time but for now I just need to keep re-calibrating the thing after about 1 week maybe 2 weeks.

Here are some update pics of the tank

IMG_0641[1].JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0625.JPG

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for clarifying about the plumbing thru the stand. It's a great idea, having the pipes go mostly straight down to the sump, instead of using a bunch of elbows and going around through the back of the stand. If possible, I just might have to follow your lead.

That Cyphastrea rock is amazing. They sure are lawnmowers. ;Wideyed

OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing very well running into a small algae starting to surface on my sand bed. Could be cyano or Dino’s. Phosphate is sitting between .02 to .05 and my nitrates are at 0 water comes out crystal clear after every test. Feeding was not my issue and only kept adding to my phosphate.
Did some research and decided to try dosing nitrates in the form of stump remover. And took my gfo offline because I’d heard of it causing some issues.

Been dosing 30ml of the nitrate solution spread through the day via a doser. Did 3 tests on my tank dosing 30ml at one time and after an hour my tank was at 1ppm or right around it give or take.
Should also note my tank can consume 1.5 nitrate in less then 24 hour period. Even though i am dosing nitrate it still barely registers on a test kit. I’ll up it in time if needed but for now just observing.

Noted three things since dosing nitrates.

My phosphate before dosing was at .05 it’s now down to .02.

Sps corals seem to have better PE and are starting to get more vibrant color i didn’t have a color issue before but the colors seem to be coming through more.

My algae that could be cyano or Dino’s is slowly disapating. Or it could be me dreaming haha!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

I stated in a previous post that I thought I had some cyano or dinos in my tank. I am positive it was cyano showing up as part of the cycling process and being a tank with low nutrients. I dosed some Chemiclean and did my tanks first water change in 6 months. Tank is crystal clear at the moment pretty impressed with how well it worked. I know when dosing chemiclean you are to remove all carbon and turn your skimmer off. I know that dosing this can also lower your oxygen levels so instead I just removed my skimmer cup and let the skimmer oxygenate my tank like crazy for 48 hours.
One thing I noted after dosing chemiclean in my tank was that my glass stays clean for 4-6 days before I clean it. Before I was cleaning it every other day.

I now dose around 30 ml of Stump remover a day spread out with a doser. This keeps my nitrates between .5 and 1 ppm. I haven't noticed any negative side effects from dosing. But I am glad Im not at 0 on nitrates. My phos was also kinda low reading around .01 so I dosed "Flourish Phosphorus" to .08 ppm just one time and its been sitting there for about 3 weeks now.

I dose 2ml each of Red Sea Color program a day. I also do Red Seas Reef energy A & B about 2ml a day These are both half the recommend dose according to the instructions.
I dose 30ml of ME Corals Alk, 25 ml of Calcium a day & 2ml of Mag a day.

Feeding consists of ehiems auto feeder twice a day maybe drops 10-20 of the "New Life Spectrum" color enhancing pellet food. I also feed twice a day of LRS from a squirt bottle. I do about 2 squirts of phyto a day as well.

Lost two of my wrasses to jumping in the middle of the night. Little bummed about they there were my favorite to watch. Im looking into making a screen top, but also looking into buying a top. If anyone has any suggestions or screen they purchased and are happy with feel free to share some ideas with me.

Here are some pics,

Cyano Before and After.

IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG

Here are a few new coral pics.

IMG_1581.JPG
IMG_1584.JPG

And here is my scolly, not sure what this air bubble is on him. Possibly from elevated oxygen levels after the chemiclean? besides that its looking health and happy.
IMG_1569.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

OP
OP
S

Sean1986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do an update!

Been really busy, with just had our first child a little over a months ago and I haven’t been able to get into my build thread to do a worthy update.

I have sold off a few of my main colonies. Sold my bicolor hammer that was in the back left, some leathers and my massive Duncan colony.

Been moving the tank towards mainly sps.

Added a apex system with a dos, holding out for the trident hopefully I’ll have one in the next 6months or I may go ahead and get the alkatronics.

Never really cared about ph but since I got my apex running my ph has me a little concerned. During the day my ph will climb to 8.1-8.2. But at night my ph can drop all the way to 7.7. Been trying to figure out how to run an air online hose from outside but not sure I’ll be able to make it work.

I built another stand and added another 30 Nuvo custom drilled tank. This is going to be my sps frag tank.

I’ll be adding some pics later today.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back