rennjidk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Just picked up a 30L off of FB with a ton of extra equipment (most of which I am reselling). The only thing I kept was the tank itself, diy screen lid, and an old feeding port cover which works amazingly as a sump cover.

IMG-1778.jpg

IMG-1780.jpg

The stand I found at Petsmart for $200 and has turned out to be actually pretty decent in terms of quality. I started by doing a vinegar soak for 24 hours and scrubbing the tank clean. After a thorough rinsing, I added 15lbs of special grade seeded 5lbs of ocean direct. The scape is ~25lbs of TLF Stax. I par tested the light once set up and I feel very confident in it. I got 290 center top, 200 center bottom, each foot off of the light is 120-150, and the two ends read 70-90. This is an amazing light for a mixed reef on a 3 foot tank. I had originally purchased 2 but with just the blue channels, I was seeing 400 par side to side and around 600 in the middle.

IMG-1781.jpg

IMG-1783.jpg

Equipment:
Smatfarm G5 Led
Intank overflow covers (to raise water level)
Intank floss basket
Intank Chaeto basket
IM Chaetomax Light
Orlushy DC sine wave 1320gph return
Tunze Osmolator ATO
Dual VCA 1/2" RFG's
Dual Neotherm 75w heaters and Inkbird Controller
IM Media basket
Acrylic ATO and dosing Res
Kamoer X1 Pro2 Wifi dosing pump

Livestock:

Current:
Mocha and Black Ice clowns
YWG
Lawnmower Blenny
Cleaner Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Various Snails

On the way:
Tiger Pistol shrimp
Azure Damsel
Royal Gramma
Red Firefish

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Looking good, just the tank I’m planning on getting (when it’s back in stock)

You not having a skimmer? Or powerheads?
I like having the sump covered and I’ve never had a need for a skimmer under 60 gallons. Chaeto keeps me dosing nitrates. As far as power heads, I don’t like cords in the tank and with a 1300gph return coupled with rfg’s in a 30 gallon tank, I have massive random flow. Especially in sine mode.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I like having the sump covered and I’ve never had a need for a skimmer under 60 gallons. Chaeto keeps me dosing nitrates. As far as power heads, I don’t like cords in the tank and with a 1300gph return coupled with rfg’s in a 30 gallon tank, I have massive random flow. Especially in sine mode.

what’s the smallest tank you have run with chaeto?

Yeah I agree, hate seeing aio with stuff sticking out the top, takes away from their simplicity.

Would the sine mode not affect the water lvl, triggering your ATO, atos in a small tank are a pain at the best of times.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
what’s the smallest tank you have run with chaeto?

Yeah I agree, hate seeing aio with stuff sticking out the top, takes away from their simplicity.

Would the sine mode not affect the water lvl, triggering your ATO, atos in a small tank are a pain at the best of times.
The smallest tank with chaeto has been 10g. Sine wave doesn’t affect the water level in the display or sump anymore than just turning up the flow rate on the return does. My water level sits at a constant in sine mode and I’ve calibrated my ato to that.

Edit: and also to expand on that, ATO's in the return chamber of smaller tanks are a hassle, because the water level drops significantly as mechanical filtration clogs. Each of the overflow chambers are ~4"x5" and the sump itself holds around 5 gallons. The ATO has no issue with this, because even in sine wave mode, it doesnt cause a drop in the sump water level. My ATO kicks on maybe once an hour for a few seconds on the lowest setting. It's adding around 1/5 of a gallon per day.

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The smallest tank with chaeto has been 10g. Sine wave doesn’t affect the water level in the display or sump anymore than just turning up the flow rate on the return does. My water level sits at a constant in sine mode and I’ve calibrated my ato to that.

Edit: and also to expand on that, ATO's in the return chamber of smaller tanks are a hassle, because the water level drops significantly as mechanical filtration clogs. Each of the overflow chambers are ~4"x5" and the sump itself holds around 5 gallons. The ATO has no issue with this, because even in sine wave mode, it doesnt cause a drop in the sump water level. My ATO kicks on maybe once an hour for a few seconds on the lowest setting. It's adding around 1/5 of a gallon per day.
Oh that’s good, so sine mode is similar to a Ecotech powerhead,, I was thinking the return was being powered up and down, which would have affected the water lvl.

Might give chaeto a go in my nano.

OP
rennjidk

rennjidk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Oh that’s good, so sine mode is similar to a Ecotech powerhead,, I was thinking the return was being powered up and down, which would have affected the water lvl.

Might give chaeto a go in my nano.
It is being powered up and down, I'm saying that there's enough displacement in the sump that it doesn't effect the water level in the half second the pump ramps.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
It is being powered up and down, I'm saying that there's enough displacement in the sump that it doesn't effect the water level in the half second the pump ramps.
If you have tried it and it works for you then that’s good but I know my dc pump massively affects the water lvl when adjusted.

Tidal Gardens
BRS

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 52 29.2%
  • NO

Votes: 109 61.2%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 14 7.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 1.7%
Kessil