Ocellaris and Tomato hosting the same Anemone?

vlad2spinn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How likely is it that this will last?

The Ocellaris has been hosting this nem for several years. I added the Tomato about 5 months ago. I kept this captive bred Tomato with anemones in a different tank for over a year and it never shown any interest in hosting. When I first added the Tomato to my main display, it was more interested in swimming with my Anthias then spending any time around the anemones or the Ocellaris. After about a month the Tomato decided to spend most of it's time in a rock cave above the men that was hosting the Ocellaris. Any time Ocellaris came close to the cave or Tomato close to the nem they flexed their mussel at each other but that is about it. Only few times I saw them show bit more aggression towards each other. With recent flow changes in the tank the nem stretches a bit into the cave. This caused the Tomato to venture slightly into the nem as it was defending the cave from the Ocellaris. Within two days, Tomato decided to sleep in the nem, but during the day he staid in, or around, his cave. Now, two days later, both are hosting day and night. It appears like there is little more tension then before, but not that bad. Just a lot of tail shaking and face to face muscle flexing. The men is plenty big for both of them. It is about 24-30" diameter. Anyone has experience with 2 different varieties of clownfish hosting one anemone? Since Tomato's are in general much more agresive, I guess time will tell if the Tomato takes over or they decide to share permanately.

IMG_4020-1.jpg
IMG_4004.JPG

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely one will have to be taken out.

That Tomato will crush your Ocellaris, it will become more aggressive the longer that it likes being hosted with your anemone.

TomatoClownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomatos have are not as mean as people describe them as. As my name suggests, I have a very large 5 year old Tomato clownfish, that eats right out of my hands, and lives in a 28g nano with a Firefish (3 yrs, old) an Azure Damsel (2 yrs old), a Royal Gramma (1/2 yrs old), a Lawnmower Blenny (1/2 yrs old), and the newest addition, a Cleaner shrimp, which I have had for 2 weeks. Before my tomato, a Had an Ocellaris that was much more aggresive, it would go at it with the 3 Stripe damsel I used to have. As for mixing them, the Tomato would probably win a Fight, as it is bigger and Bulkier than the Ocellaris, but Aggression wise, I think they are both about the same.

MissouriReefer31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How likely is it that this will last?

The Ocellaris has been hosting this nem for several years. I added the Tomato about 5 months ago. I kept this captive bred Tomato with anemones in a different tank for over a year and it never shown any interest in hosting. When I first added the Tomato to my main display, it was more interested in swimming with my Anthias then spending any time around the anemones or the Ocellaris. After about a month the Tomato decided to spend most of it's time in a rock cave above the men that was hosting the Ocellaris. Any time Ocellaris came close to the cave or Tomato close to the nem they flexed their mussel at each other but that is about it. Only few times I saw them show bit more aggression towards each other. With recent flow changes in the tank the nem stretches a bit into the cave. This caused the Tomato to venture slightly into the nem as it was defending the cave from the Ocellaris. Within two days, Tomato decided to sleep in the nem, but during the day he staid in, or around, his cave. Now, two days later, both are hosting day and night. It appears like there is little more tension then before, but not that bad. Just a lot of tail shaking and face to face muscle flexing. The men is plenty big for both of them. It is about 24-30" diameter. Anyone has experience with 2 different varieties of clownfish hosting one anemone? Since Tomato's are in general much more agresive, I guess time will tell if the Tomato takes over or they decide to share permanately.

IMG_4020-1.jpg
IMG_4004.JPG
I can’t speak for your fish. But I have a massive 4.5 in female tomato with a small 1.5 in occy male and they are fine and share a significantly smaller anemone. I also have 3 tomato’s that share an anemone a pair and I had a female given to me when her mate died and the owner tore down the tank so 2f and a male and they did great no crazy aggression. Sadly one of the female me died when I changed tanks and downsized she got ich and when I took her out she died a few days later.

I’ve also have had a tomato and skunk pair both where females and both eviler 3.5in they did great no aggression.

I’m my experience it depends on the scenario and how your introducing. Aswell as down to the aggression of the fish. Cause tomato’s get a bad rep but all of mine have been great but I’ve seen some really bad ones straight murderers.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back