Odd behavior from royal gramma

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I introduced a ignitus anthias to my tank 2 weeks ago and yesterday it finally started coming out of hiding and exploring the tank which has been a whole thing on its own. My royal gramma has been incredibly interested in it. To the point of leaving his own territory on the opposite side of the rock structure to watch it when it comes out of its cave and swim near it he has not charged or struck the anthias at all but will open his mouth and float pass it. My question is, is this aggression or is it possible it's just intrigue. I don't want the anthias to go back into hiding. The anthias is about 3 1/2 inches and the gramma is much smaller and younger maybe 1 inch. And the anthias doesn't actually seem to be phased at all and will approach the gramma as well. The tank is a 30" cube about 120 gallons and only contains 2 chromis a mandarin and the 2 fish in question, a lot of rock and caves. And to reiterate the 2 fish in question have established territory's on the opposite side of the tank this is all occurring out of the gramma established territory.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he is just letting the anthias know who's boss in his domain. If he isn't trying to bite the anthias then I think you will be fine. Especially if the anthias isn't bothered by it.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I'm agreed.
It's just want to make sure to the new fish that caves in the rock work is in his controlling, My Royal open its mouth when the six line enter its area and there was a territorial disputed between them and the Royal won the fight, now they both get along fine cause the six line doesn't stick its nose into the Royal Gamma cave anymore.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

Ignitus anthias are a species that does better with a few conspecifics.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back