Odd behavior Sand Sifting star sea

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone that have the same situation??? My star fish is standing on her legs... Like a lot!
Help.......

20190815_093001.jpg

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... that’s interesting. I’ve never seen mine do that before

Here’s a link I found on the subject; appears like it may be starving. How old is your tank? Do you add copepods?

Last edited:

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hungry and judging by your sand looks too clean.

They need a well established (6 month minimum sand bed). Sand sifting starfish prefer small organisms in the sand bed. You can try supplement feeds (shrimp/fish bits) etc but if indeed a very new take take it back.

The position its in is to trap fish btw. Fish goes through legs then they twist legs forming a cage in order to eat. Be honest ive never seen a sand sifter do that.

Proteus Meep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of the starfish family adopt this position when spawning...here is a micro brittle star ready to spawn as an example

20190207_182450.jpg

OP
OP
I

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They need a well established (6 month minimum sand bed). Sand sifting starfish prefer small organisms in the sand bed. You can try supplement feeds (shrimp/fish bits) etc but if indeed a very new take take it back.

The position its in is to trap fish btw. Fish goes through legs then they twist legs forming a cage in order to eat. Be honest ive never seen a sand sifter do that.
Yeap...i was reading a lot and somebody suggest she's maybe hungry. What do u think about pods or food elements like zeocon or selcon?

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap...i was reading a lot and somebody suggest she's maybe hungry. What do u think about pods or food elements like zeocon or selcon?
It needs a well established tank. Copepods wont suffice alone. Even a well established tank can be cleaned by one of these in a very short time. They have big appetites.

My recommendation stands if new tank and take it back. If not new tank then then keep it stocked.

OP
OP
I

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... that’s interesting. I’ve never seen mine do that before

Here’s a link I found on the subject; appears like it may be starving. How old is your tank? Do you add copepods?

OP
OP
I

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, really new. I just bought it because the acua man told me it can keep my acuarium clean. My mistake to believe everything...

OP
OP
I

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Me too...but i was taking with some guys that have the same issue. But nobody knowns for sure.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, interesting. I had to get rid of my sand sifting star, he wound up having an appetite for sps ... and of course the expensive ones. Lol. He ate 2 of my sps frags. Thought the first one was a fluke that he was just sitting on top of it and it died... I moved it back to the sand. Next day he enveloped another frag and killed that. So yup. Harlequin food

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh, interesting. I had to get rid of my sand sifting star, he wound up having an appetite for sps ... and of course the expensive ones. Lol. He ate 2 of my sps frags. Thought the first one was a fluke that he was just sitting on top of it and it died... I moved it back to the sand. Next day he enveloped another frag and killed that. So yup. Harlequin food
Starfish are omnivores and will eat what they can. I had an urchin that ate bubble tip anemones. Why ? Because I didn’t have what it needed.

The sand sifter will likely starve. It’s awful you lfs sold it you without questions. However as keepers of the blue we need to also accept responsibility. Don’t buy without research.

OP
OP
I

Ileanaguz69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are omnivores and will eat what they can. I had an urchin that ate bubble tip anemones. Why ? Because I didn’t have what it needed.

The sand sifter will likely starve. It’s awful you lfs sold it you without questions. However as keepers of the blue we need to also accept responsibility. Don’t buy without research.
I known....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 44.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back