OHReef's DIY 20 Gallon Long Stand - Build Thread

OHReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,

This is going to be the build thread for my DIY AIO 20 Gallon Long Reef. Everything was built from scratch. This idea has been in my head for years, and has finally come to fruition.

To begin, I designed the stand. I work from home (even before COVID came around) and wanted to be able to view it easily from my desk. I chose to make it 31" tall as this would put the center of the aquarium at viewing level height from my desk. Luckily, woodworking is my main hobby, so this wasn't too hard to design and build as I have all the necessary tools.

IMG_3089.jpg

I began by building the legs; double up 2x4's with notches to align all the pieces so the weight would be evenly distributed from all angles. I made 2 of these with cutouts on the bottom for 4 2x4's that would create the length of the stand.
IMG_3091.jpg
IMG_3094.jpg

I then assembled the frame that would be the foundation for the tank. I made 1 error here by cutting one of the leg braces 1/16" short (back right bottom in the above picture), but nothing a shim and some glue can't fix!

IMG_3105.jpg

I wanted individual switches for power, so I chose to go with rack mounted DJ style power supply. I wanted it out of view, so I routed out the stand so the switches would be flush with the stand face. The power supply is only visible when the doors open.

IMG_3146.jpg

I then added 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood to the exterior. Baltic Birch is a great plywood to use as it has little to no knots or holes that need filled, and paints well. I also used some wood filler to cover the micro seams between cuts.

IMG_3153.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

I then cut a piece of 1/2" plywood for the opening of the stand. I purposely cut the 1/4" plywood a 1/2" higher than the bottom 2x4 so the 1/2" plywood would lay flat at the 1/4's face. This is shown below.

IMG_3161.jpg

Here is a full view with where we are currently at.

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

I then used my router and roman ogee bit to make the trim for the doors and stand. I suck at making cabinet doors as I don't have the proper router bits, so I had to improvise as usual.
IMG_3164.jpg

I then attached the top trim and started to paint. I had to move the operation inside as the outside temp was starting to drop below 50 degrees which wouldn't allow the paint to dry properly. I can't stand winter weather...
IMG_3219.jpg

Bottom trim was then attached and 4 lights coats of paint were added. For whatever reason I chose to go with liquid paint which I never do; spray paint is my go to. I now remember why I stopped doing that...
IMG_3229.jpg

I sprayed the exterior with 3 coats of Helmsman Spar Urethane Indoor/Outdoor spray - Stain. This was used to waterproof the stand, as I didn't want it to slowly rot with all the water it would come in contact with. Doors and hardware added with some simple round knobs.

I will add a link at the top to the DIY AIO build. IMG_3164.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.7%
Back